Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst." How do you prepare for the UNKNOWN?

"Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst." How do you prepare for the UNKNOWN?

Posted - April 25, 2021

Responses

Hi Rosie, the best thing to do is acquire as much knowledge about the "unknown" as you can, and if you're worried try not to catastrophize.  

It's an apposite question for me because today I was face to face with the unknown - the Covid vaccine and it's possible short-term side effects. Got my jab early morming. Was I prepared for the worst? Yes. Did "the worst" arrive? On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it a seven. Ewww not the worst flu I've ever had but pretty nasty.. Shivers begun a 4:30pm, now It's 1130pm my time and I feel I'm getting over the worst, but still definitely a day of work tomorrow. 
      April 25, 2021 4:36 PM MDT

From what I hear, the side effects don't last more than a day or so.  They said taking Tylenol at least six hours after your shot should be OK to east symptoms.  Hope you feel better in the morning.
      April 25, 2021 9:35 PM MDT

Hi there Rev! Howya doin' m'dear? ((hugs)). You wonder why the hugs? I'll tell you. CATASTROPHIZE! I checked my dictionary and THERE IS NO SUCH WORD which means you invented it! I LOVE IT and I will co-opt it futurely and give you credit for it. It is a lovely word so thank you for it. Now to your situation. A two-shot vaccine right? We held out for the Johnson & Johnson and it literally dropped in our laps by happenstance. We got the shots April 8 so by April 22 we are protected. Now our only "side effects" was mine entirely I had a sore arm for a couple of days BUT I ALWAYS DO WHEN I GET A VACCINATION! Every year after the flu shot my arm is sore for a few days. Jim's never is. Then the next day I felt a little tired so I took it easy. THAT'S IT! Now why would anyone want two shots if they can get just one? I'm sorry that you had that reaction. The thing is 1/3 of those who "recover" from the virus are long haulers and continue to experience side effects...some of which are debilitating. So while getting it and recovering from it is preferable to getting  it and dying the chances of becoming a long hauler is too high to be of any comfort. They still don't know everything they need to know about it. Those who refuse to get vaccinated will always be a threat to those around them. There is nothing that can be done about them so how much of a chance we have of eradicating it is probably slim to none. "Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first". That's what Jim says and I agree! Thank you for your reply and speedy recovery m'dear! Happy Monday to thee and thine Rev! :) I shall put every effort I can into NOT catastrophizing anything! Thanks for the handy hint! :)
      April 26, 2021 2:25 AM MDT

When you hope for the acknowledged.
      April 25, 2021 4:46 PM MDT

Apologies to thee anti b but I don't understand this reply. Thank you for your response and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      April 26, 2021 2:26 AM MDT

It pretty much confirms the answer that the Reverend gave you.
    He prepared for the Unknown: He was face to face with the unknown - the Covid vaccine and it's possible short-term side effects.
    He hoped for the Acknowledged: He hoped for everything to work out fine, while he was expecting what he acknowledged as the worst that could happen. 
    There was hope in the process of preparing.
    Did tha clear things up?

April 26, 2021 4:22 AM MDT

ABsolutely! Thank you for going the extra mile to explain it to me. I appreciate it anti bi! :):):):):)
      April 26, 2021 4:25 AM MDT