Active Now

Destroyer-Marauder
Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
RosieG
Kittigate
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Hahahahahaha Elon!?

Hahahahahaha Elon!?

Elon Musk says ‘bunch of people will probably die’ during Mars mission

"Volunteers only!" said Musk.

By Lee Brown FOXBusiness

Elon Musk has admitted that "a bunch of people will probably die" in the race to get to Mars.

Posted - April 25

Responses

So what? People died in the race to the moon. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
      April 25, 2021 3:19 PM MDT

Yippee...another zillion dollars wasted.
      April 25, 2021 5:50 PM MDT

Was it wasted on the space program? Much of the technology we take for granted evolved from that.
      April 25, 2021 9:05 PM MDT

I'm specifically referring to the Mars landing.
      April 26, 2021 4:12 PM MDT

i dont think getting humans to mars is a good idea. because there's nothing to do there
      April 25, 2021 4:12 PM MDT

Meh, just like here, I’ll bet there’s a Starbuck’s on every other street corner.
    ~

April 25, 2021 5:06 PM MDT

I'm not convinced a manned trip to Mars would be necessary or good, though not for the reason Franc suggests. They would have plenty to do, shared between scientific research and keeping themselves alive.

The planet's surface is an arid, cold desert that may or may not still hold some water, under a very thin atmosphere inimical to human life.

The biggest problems though are posed by the sheer distance away, making the journeys each way extremely long, necessitating some way to carry sufficient supplies for the crew for the entire round-trip.

The distance would also create lengthy radio-signal delays that at the very least would make conversations very awkward and could have serious consequences in the event of some emergency needing advice from back here on Earth.
      June 3, 2021 5:10 PM MDT