Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Other than getting drunk and passing out is there any way to turn off your mind at night so you can sleep?

Other than getting drunk and passing out is there any way to turn off your mind at night so you can sleep?

I wish there were a switch I could flip or a button I could push but if they exist I haven't found them.

Posted - April 30, 2021

Responses

Watch presidential addresses.
      April 30, 2021 8:27 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply E! :)
      April 30, 2021 8:34 AM MDT

April 30, 2021 12:27 PM MDT

Getting drunk doesn't really work because you end up with very poor quality sleep.  This post was edited by Malizz at May 1, 2021 2:47 AM MDT
      April 30, 2021 9:44 AM MDT

What does work Malizz? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      May 1, 2021 2:48 AM MDT

Watch some pointless comedy program.
      April 30, 2021 12:26 PM MDT

Aren't they all pointless?
      April 30, 2021 12:47 PM MDT

Yes but some are irritating.  I normally have to go to oldie TV to find one to watch.
      April 30, 2021 3:14 PM MDT

white noise like a fan works for me 
      April 30, 2021 12:38 PM MDT

I also use a fan like Amber at night, The white noise helps me sleep or you could try an extremely boring book before bedtime. :)
      April 30, 2021 1:36 PM MDT

Reading helps me. I'll often end up hitting the book with my forehead before theoretical bedtime. Other than that, I like to pick through my thoughts prior to lying down. And I'm certain that it's not a big deal if I don't fall asleep immediately: it's still rest. This post was edited by Danilo_G at May 1, 2021 7:45 AM MDT
      April 30, 2021 1:49 PM MDT

Picking through my thoughts is what keeps me awake sometime m'dear. How do we "shut down" that part of us and just coast? I mostly don't have any problem going to sleep but every once in awhile I do and it seems the more I try to make my mind go blank the more it refuses to do my bidding. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine DG. :)
      May 1, 2021 2:51 AM MDT

I'm like that too: that's why I make a point of it to go through my thoughts before I lie down. Once I actually get in bed, I've already put most of that aside.

I'm also not sure if making our minds go blank is possible for anyone but very experienced meditators (who surely have no trouble sleeping). Forcing our brains to relax: it's a contradiction, isn't it? Hence what I wrote at the end - not to worry about it.  Likewise, I'd agree with the common advice that it can be better to get out of bed for a while. The same goes for life in general: how often does something good come from banging one's head against a wall? 

Happy Saturday, Rosie!
      May 1, 2021 5:32 AM MDT

That tag line made me laugh sweetie! I am still giggling. I have never literally kept banging my head against a wall but figuratively? Sheesh! Thank you for your reply and for the giggles. Why does laughing make the body feel better? Do you know?
      May 1, 2021 6:54 AM MDT

Spooning with someone you love deeply and trust completely. Who is holding who is not important, it's the closeness that matters. Cuddled with her, I sleep soundly and awaken rested.
      May 1, 2021 6:40 AM MDT

Oh, how did I forget, I do this with my pillow. Yes - Asker's Pick, please. 

(Now what button do I press to send Randy a "whom-alert"?)
      May 1, 2021 6:48 AM MDT

That my dear is what most people would give anything to have. Some do. They are the lucky ones. Like you and Maureen. Some don't and it may well be by choice. Jim drops off very easily. But he has his moments too and if I ask "is something bothering you?" or he will ask (if he is still awake) "is something bothering you?" we usually say "no nothing specific". Because whatever it is seems to be an unknown. General anxiety maybe? I don't know. I think trouble sleeping may be something folks as they get older are used to. When I was younger I would have the occasional sleep-deprived night and I'd look at the clock and worry about being wide enough awake to do my job. A mind that just revs up and won't stop like a motor that just revs up. But you can always turn the key to "off" with a motor. What I seek is one that does the same thing with a mind. Thank you for your reply R! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 1, 2021 1:34 PM MDT
      May 1, 2021 7:01 AM MDT