Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you say 'supper' or 'dinner'? Is there a difference? By the way, what are you having?

Do you say 'supper' or 'dinner'? Is there a difference? By the way, what are you having?

FatTOUSH

Posted - May 5, 2021

Responses

Supper, the noun,  is akin to the verb sup, which means to take the evening meal.  I imagine there is a kinship between dine and dinner bit I don't really know.  Words are interesting to me and the older I get the more interesting I find them.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 6, 2021 4:41 PM MDT
      May 6, 2021 3:44 PM MDT

I've never heard that. It is interesting! I still think dinner has a better ring to it. 

Have you heard the term "lupper"? It's like brunch, but eaten between 2-4pm-ish. :)
      May 6, 2021 4:45 PM MDT

P. S.  When I posted my answer above, I not only overlooked the part where you asked what I had eaten, I also had not yet had dinner because my wife was on her way home with it. She brought quesadillas and an enormous burrito. My dinner was half of Gigantoritto and a glass of chocolate milk. Tomorrow I will eat the quesadilla for lunch. 

~

May 5, 2021 9:06 PM MDT

We slow down on the eating as we get older. I've seen some younger folks who eat more in one meal than I eat all day.
      May 6, 2021 1:17 PM MDT

• It has always been dinner for me. And tonight's dinner is some chicken from off the grill with some mashed potatoes and asparagus. 
      May 6, 2021 12:43 PM MDT

Tea. That's the generic term for the evening meal in Australia. Dinner is the main meal regardless of time of day (can be the same thing but not necessarily), and Supper is more a before bedtime snack.
      May 6, 2021 4:50 PM MDT

• I call it neither supper nor dinner.  I call it la cena.  I had a 15 cm supreme sub, potato chips, a double chocolate cookie and a seltzer water from Subway.
      May 7, 2021 12:52 AM MDT

I refuse to eat their food.
      May 7, 2021 11:03 AM MDT

• I refer to the evening meal as "dinner."  A friend from the East Coast of the United States always refer to the evening meal as "supper."
      May 20, 2021 5:29 PM MDT