Discussion » Questions » History » Americans still practice ancient methods of weighing stuff in pounds & ounces. What other ancient practices are still in vogue in the USA?

Americans still practice ancient methods of weighing stuff in pounds & ounces. What other ancient practices are still in vogue in the USA?

Posted - May 8, 2021

Responses

Miles, feet and inches.
    Fahrenheit.
      May 8, 2021 10:18 PM MDT

They're not ancient, which would imply obsolete and no longer in use. They're just different from the metric system. Neither system is intrinsically better or worse.
      May 8, 2021 10:24 PM MDT

Metric is one HELL of a lot simpler. Everything is in multiples of ten - and the US actually lost a Mars rover due to differences in avoirdupois.
      May 8, 2021 10:29 PM MDT

OK, but people are used to what they're used to and life goes on.
      May 8, 2021 11:07 PM MDT

Good for them.

Citizens owning guns. 
      May 9, 2021 12:49 AM MDT

The US is far from the only place where citizens own guns.
      May 9, 2021 6:14 AM MDT

It's the only Western nation where you don't need a license, or need to register your guns. Switzerland has a higher per capita number of guns than the US - but given that a gap year of National Service after high school is mandatory there, ALL their gun owners are veterans. And the weapons are registered.
    If a Swiss is considered mentally unfit for service, or declares him- or herself to be a conscientious objector, they don't get to own a gun. And fair enough.
      May 9, 2021 3:31 PM MDT

Good for them.
      May 9, 2021 4:03 PM MDT

Gun registry in US is specifically listed as illegal for the gov to create.
      May 9, 2021 5:24 PM MDT

Which is why you have, and will continue to have, regular gun massacres.
    I'll take Australia, where I can send my grandchildren to school and be relatively certain they will come home again.
      May 13, 2021 3:43 PM MDT

Just remember rapes increased after AU took victims defense away. (The rapist knows they do not have a gun) 
      May 13, 2021 4:27 PM MDT

They didn't have guns before that, and most rapes in the States go unreported. Rapists were far more likely to be armed than their victims, that's fact.
    It's hard for an American to understand the situation. Guns are so much a part of everything you do. Australia has NEVER had a major crush on guns, and even before Port Arthur handguns were as much an oddity here as tanks are on the streets of New York. Legal but weird as snake's suspenders. The vics were never armed, and the CURVE (check the trends, not the raw figures - its why statistics is a science) did NOT change. It was trending upwards well before that and its shape was unaffected before and after gun laws were tightened.
    Registering guns (and preventing people who should NOT be permitted within a loud shout of firearms) will not take them away. Did they come to take your car because you registered it?
      May 13, 2021 4:44 PM MDT

No a registry does not take them away. But it gives them a list of where to go when they try to take them.  It would be in steps...we do not want all guns just this one...then this kind and so on.  

It does not matter if they carried regularly before...the rapist did not know who was carrying and who was not.....then AU took them (bought them) and the rapists knew they were all unarmed. 

Why is this hard to understand?  AU is the proof that we have always said....if you disarm the public the criminals will just see sitting ducks. 

Australia assaults (40%) are up and sexual assaults (20%) are up as as well. Think that has anything to do with disarming victims?

Homicide has decreased by nine percent since 1990 and armed robbery by one-third since 2001, but recorded assaults and sexual assaults have both increased steadily in the past 10 years by over 40 percent and 20 percent respectively. The rate of aggravated assault appears to have contributed to the marked rise in recorded assault, and for both assault and sexual assault the rate of increase was greater for children aged under 15 years, with increases almost double that of the older age group.

Notice the source in my link is the Australian government.

May 13, 2021 5:30 PM MDT

The rapists DID know - NOBODY WAS CARRYING. Concealed carry has NEVER been legal in Australia, you can do time for hiding a knife. The trend did not increase, just the raw numbers did. You are ignoring the ABS curve. Deliberately misrepresenting. 
    "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."
      May 13, 2021 6:39 PM MDT

Again I am quoting verbatim the AU goverment. 
      May 13, 2021 6:50 PM MDT

But. Ignoring. The. CURVE.
    NOTHING in that government website even SUGGESTS that the gun buyback had anything to do with the increase, as I stated earlier, the trend was curving upward well before that.
    That said, most women - especially mothers - will happily trade a SLIGHTLY increased risk of rape over a GREATLY increased risk of having their children murdered because some ape-brained teen hopped up on sleet got an F in science, so brought a gun to school to exact "revenge". I got that from my wife, herself a victim of rape before I met her (well before Port Arthur - she's never owned a handgun either), and now a mother and grandmother.
      May 14, 2021 2:17 AM MDT

The point is gov removed guns and your assaults increased.  Spin however you want but those are the facts. 
    Of course, your gov is not going to admit it as a cause.  I was surprised they even acknowledged the increase at all. 
    I cannot imagine trying to speak for an entire countries women. 

May 14, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

Malizz, do you know of any countries wherein none of the citizens are allowed by law to own guns?
    ~

May 9, 2021 11:24 AM MDT

If a "citizen" is anyone not of the government class ... probably any dictatorship.  
      May 13, 2021 2:07 PM MDT

• I can't answer this about the USA.  My own country changed to the metric system in Century XIX, but we still use non-metric units for some things.

Recipes sometimes use these measurements for volumes less than one litre:
    1 teaspoon = 5 ml
    1 tablespoon = 15 ml
    1 glass = 200 ml
    1 cup = 250 ml

Hamburgers are ¼ pound.  Other recipes use grams and kilograms for weight.  We use calories for food energy.  The nutrition label shows either calories or both calories and kilojoules.

Engine power uses horsepower. 

Tire pressure uses PSI.

Pilots and air traffic control use feet for altitude.  (1 foot = 0,3048 m)

Gun caliber can either be inches or millimetres.
      May 9, 2021 9:34 AM MDT

Thanks.
      May 9, 2021 9:50 AM MDT

Given that the airplane was invented by Americans, I guess they get to pick which units they use to tell how far they are off the ground.
      May 9, 2021 3:26 PM MDT

I think it has more to do with English being the official language of air travel, AND Americans being notoriously lazy when it comes to learning other cultures (thus not learning the metric system).  So everyone is afraid of American pilots getting confused by metric units, even in their own language, and flying in to a mountain or building.
      May 13, 2021 2:10 PM MDT

Americans don't speak English. Haven't done for a couple of centuries.
      May 13, 2021 3:40 PM MDT