Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » WHAT IF lying and whining were illegal and you would be sent to prison if you did either? Would politicians become extinct? What else?

WHAT IF lying and whining were illegal and you would be sent to prison if you did either? Would politicians become extinct? What else?

Posted - May 9, 2021

Responses

They wouldn't necessarily become extinct, they would just do the jobs for which they were elected.  How refreshing would that be?

May 9, 2021 7:45 AM MDT

OMG HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE? Thank you for nifty reply and the graphic L! ((hugs)) Happy Monday to thee and thine.
      May 10, 2021 3:49 AM MDT

That would be more than awesome.  Hope you had a great day yesterday. :)
      May 10, 2021 10:22 AM MDT

We did. We had a great today too. Popped in at Sprouts to pick up a coupla things. Went to the bank then popped in at Stater Brothers to see if they carried Jim's favorite ice cream...DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MAGNUM BAR. They no longer carry it at Walmart for some reason and I Googled it to see where we could get some. They charged 51 cents more than Walmart but so what? So at least I know a local source! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      May 13, 2021 11:57 AM MDT

Glad you found his ice cream. :)  I find that sometimes, Walmart discontinues items.  They used to carry the coffee I like, but don't any longer.
      May 13, 2021 12:58 PM MDT

I guess stores have to discontinue some things to make room for new things. I just don't like it much when they choose something to discontinue that we like and buy a lot! Thank you for your reply L! :) Did you get a letter from President Biden? It's about the $1400. My first ever letter from my President. It's a keeper. So is he. So far. :)
      May 14, 2021 4:53 AM MDT

I haven't gotten the mail yet today, but I haven't gotten one from the president so far.  
      May 14, 2021 10:24 AM MDT

Did you get the $1400 relief check? That's what it's about L. I thought you earned too much to qualify. Anyway Jim and I both got our letters from him yesterday! It starts off "My fellow American" and proceeds to outline the $1400 check and the $600 one that preceded it. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 14, 2021 10:37 AM MDT
      May 14, 2021 10:36 AM MDT

I thought that might be the case.  I do earn too much to qualify, but I'm glad you guys got it. :)
      May 14, 2021 2:11 PM MDT

It's a comfort cushion...it was unexpected. Lots of the times the unexpected isn't comforting so we are grateful. It doesn't change our lifestyle but it does give us a little wiggle room and peace of mind. Anyway you know how proud I be of thee L. What you've done, accomplished. The smart moves you made at the right time? The decisions you've made and the path you took. I do think some luck was involved with your meeting your current boss and the friendship that developed don't you? On the other hand I don't know if it's good luck or something was meant to be. It doesn't really matter though. What does matter is what is! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine. I think I'll ask. :)
      May 15, 2021 1:31 AM MDT

I actually made out better this year from work than from the government.  I got a nice refund on my taxes, got a Christmas bonus from my boss who also shared part of his annual bonus with me, a Christmas bonus from the firm we work for along with a bonus for secretary's day and a bonus for my 30th anniversary with the firm.  I was very lucky to find this boss - it was my reward for all the crappy ones I worked with before him. :)
      May 15, 2021 8:04 AM MDT

You struck gold which is only fair since they struck gold with you! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 10, 2021 5:01 AM MDT

Jim and I each got one. By now you have right? Thank you for your reply L!  Yep I'm going back in the past to see what I missed! :)
      June 10, 2021 5:04 AM MDT

We have all lied from one degree to another and many do so on a daily basis. In light of that, if lying and whining were illegal and you would be sent to prison if you did either, most everyone in America would be sent to prison and become extinct.
      May 9, 2021 8:22 AM MDT

You are one of THEM then? Because YOU do you say that we all do. Typical and natural and normal right? How you go so goes the world. Thanks and Happy Friday to you ru.
      May 14, 2021 4:55 AM MDT

The prisons would be full while the cities and streets would be empty.  Politicians don't hold the patent on lying and whining; human beings do.
      May 9, 2021 10:56 AM MDT

I'm not so sure about that Shuhak. We can say all ACTORS are LIARS. Correct? They pretend to be what they are not and the more convincing they are the more awards they win.

Well I believe LIARS are drawn to politics. Where else does lying provide so much success? Now I'm not saying the only liars you will find are politicians. I AM SAYING all politicians are liars and the preponderance of liars in that "profession" eclipses any other profession in my opinion excluding ACTING. Could I be wrong? Of course. But convincing me of it will take a lot. You see what happens to pols who are HONEST? They have short careers and are haranged and attacked and insulted. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I really like Spunky's reply. Upbeat and positive! SIGH.
      May 10, 2021 3:58 AM MDT

We could say that in as far as all people lie.  However, actors aren't lying, they're acting.  They aren't trying to disguise the fact that they're acting.  Most are proud of it (name in lights, top billing, stars, etc.). 

Politics is the most corrupt profession on earth!  I will not argue that all politicians are liars.  It's practically a job requirement.  If someone wants to get elected, they're going to have to lie (campaign promises).  To stay in office, they must continue to lie.  To maintain their prestige, they must lie.  If a politician dares to show even a small sign of conscience, the rest of the vipers are quick to attack.   
      May 10, 2021 12:16 PM MDT

"...all people lie". You have proof they do or just believe they do? What constitutes a lie to you Shuhak? You visit your dying friend and he/she says "I must look awful". He/she does look awful. But you say "you look good to me". Of course it's a "lie" but its underpinnings are love and kindness. I think the LIE that covers up a dangerous truth or is told to aggrandize or hypnotize is evil. A lie told for your gain alone at the expense of others is evil. But telling a lie.."you look good to me" out of love? Surely that's can't be a "lie" in the clinical sense. Not to me. Maybe all people do lie but not all people who lie do it to harm others. Or destroy them. Anyway thank you for your reply m'dear! When I hear "everyone lies" it gets my hackles up very bigly. Apologies. This post was edited by RosieG at May 11, 2021 12:08 PM MDT
      May 11, 2021 3:27 AM MDT

I think we're arguing semantics.  I didn't say that all lies were of evil intent.  Only that all people lie (at one time or another). 

Technically, the dictionary definition of a lie is, "an intentional untruth".  Therefore, even if a lie is meant to be loving (as in the example you cited), it is still, by definition, a lie (an intentional untruth).  

A 'lie" to a loved one ("you're going to be alright" - even though they know they won't) while being an intention auntruth, is NOT meant to deceive.  Now, the lies that politicians (and such) tell are purposefully spoken with intent to deceive.  They KNOW what's true, but if they tell it, it will/might "harm" them in one way or another (eg. lose respect, popularity, prestige, money, benefits, must take responsibility).  To ensure these lies aren't discovered, they must tell more lies - more deceit.  A "lie" to a loved one won't require more "lies" to keep it concealed.
      May 11, 2021 1:01 PM MDT

Could definitely be Shuhak. Words mean different things to different people. No two people see everything in the same light. A variety of reasons of course is why. Intellect...comprehension..education...influences...decency or its opposite. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 13, 2021 5:19 AM MDT

It would mean the end of sites like this one.
      May 9, 2021 11:04 AM MDT

So you think that is all this site is good for? Where are you when it comes to questions about philosophy or literature or quantum physics for that matter? Where are you when discussions occur about THE BIG BANG? If all you care about is lies and dissension and political partisan conversation that is not my problem. Very cynical reply and not at all helpful. Your contribution. Read what Spunky wrote. Did that never once occur to you? Seriously? Seriously. Seriously? Pity that.
      May 10, 2021 3:52 AM MDT

I didn't say that's all the site is good for. That was just your inference. But if lying actually was illegal, much of social media couldn't exist just because there is so much dishonesty on the Internet.
      May 10, 2021 4:21 AM MDT