Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » For those of you with children: have you tried introducing them to answermug?

For those of you with children: have you tried introducing them to answermug?

... I mean, I can see why you wouldn't.

Posted - May 22, 2021

Responses

I don't have children, but if I did, this would not be an appropriate site for them.  
      May 22, 2021 6:09 AM MDT

I don't have children. 
    But when I'm here, even if I share with her, my cat sometimes looks at me with a "What are you doing?" gaze.

:)

May 22, 2021 6:52 AM MDT

My dog likes some of the gifs that people post (Jaimie's esp), and when I watch the music videos she sometimes watches them. 

Does your cat watch birds or squirrels on tv? I know a lot of cats will. This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at May 22, 2021 8:57 PM MDT
      May 22, 2021 9:38 AM MDT

I don't watch TV much. She would watch "Reno:911!" with me sometimes.

I prefer "Does you catch watch bird or squirrel on tv?"    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 23, 2021 5:27 AM MDT
      May 22, 2021 8:07 PM MDT

:) :)

Thanks, Welby! You're a good friend. 
      May 22, 2021 8:15 PM MDT

You, too.
      May 22, 2021 8:20 PM MDT

My children are now adults, and ancient ones at that, they no longer live with us and have not lived with us for many years, but they were aware of my presence on AnswerBag or AnswerMug either back in their late teens or early twenties. I showed them certain questions and answers and comments, but they didn’t seem to develop continued interest in the website. I can’t remember if it was in the AnswerBag days (2009 to 2014) or the AnswerMug days (2015 and later), but it was a period when everything one’s parents do is old-fashioned and grody, so they wanted no parts of it, would not touch it with a ten-foot pole. They had their own online preferences, things that I probably would not touch with a ten-foot pole. I have no idea if they ever scan AnswerMug as non-members, have joined the website, or even if they remember my username; if they do know what it is, they can read everything I write. If that’s the case, let’s just say that . . .

~

May 22, 2021 7:15 AM MDT

My adult children would not be into this site.
      May 22, 2021 8:27 AM MDT

They know of it (I talked about EP when I was there, and then this place when I landed here) but probably wouldn't remember the name. They're not into social media much. One is on Twitter, but that's it. 
    I wouldn't encourage them to join, but not a big deal if they did. Maybe a few awkward moments, but nothing as uncomfortable as watching 'The Wolf of Wall Street' with both of them 7 years ago. We're all adults, but there are limits!! 
      May 22, 2021 9:47 AM MDT

I was on EP too. I remember there was a guy that only made posts about how he loved to hump his pillow so I started telling him that I hope he didn't have a memory foam pillow because the pillow would remember what he did to it. Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 22, 2021 10:10 AM MDT

I don't remember that guy, but there was a ton of weird stuff that I'd never have thought existed. I still suspect some was pure fiction, but who knows! Most things I have a 'to each his own' attitude about, but there were child predators running rampant on EP, posting 'fantasies' involving young children and that enraged me. 

That's really funny, your reply to him about memory foam! Pillow-humpers and trash bag enthusiasts don't really bother me. I don't understand it, but it's usually harmless... to each their own, in that case! Cheers! 
      May 22, 2021 10:22 AM MDT

lol, I don’t remember the pillow-humping guy, but I remember the trash bag guy being on EP.  The other two I remember the most were the guy who always asked about getting killed from being scissored by nerds and the guy who always asked about traveling back in time just to have sex with Agnetha Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.  He didn’t need a time machine for that.  They’re both still alive so all he had to do was hit them up on Facebook, lol. This post was edited by Livvie at May 23, 2021 5:28 AM MDT
      May 22, 2021 4:09 PM MDT

I remember the scissored by nerds guy, but I don't remember Trashy being on EP or the time traveler guy. 
      May 22, 2021 7:57 PM MDT

My children know I use the site and that I am the mod.   

When I told my oldest I was the mod,  she asked me how much I was on the website?  I told her less than she spends on FB.  

None have shown interest in joining.  My oldest in a FB person.  Middle is more into Instagram. And my youngest is a gamer so Xbox live is the closest he gets to social media at all. 

My husband mentioned joining, I told him that was good.  But I would have to moderate him if he posted some of the things he posts on Twitter. 
      May 22, 2021 10:11 AM MDT

No way.  They have their own playground.
      May 22, 2021 12:21 PM MDT

I don't have access to my only child.
      May 22, 2021 12:24 PM MDT

Sorry to heard that.
      May 22, 2021 2:29 PM MDT

I have two three-year olds and a two-month old, so no.  The only part of the internet I show them is learning websites for kids.

I have one family member on here, but other than her, I haven’t told most of my family about Answermug.

My husband tried Answermug for a little bit, but he got bored and left right away.  That’s his MO with social sites.  The only social site that ever held his attention was EP.

If I told my mom about this website, it would just turn into us arguing about religion in each other’s posts.  

If I told my cousin Jenny about this site, she would ask tons of questions daily, but they would all be left wing political stuff.  She would also hijack every single post and make it about politics.  Now that Trump’s out of office, she probably has a lot less stuff to talk about.

If I told my cousin Bobby about this site, he would pick a screenname like Spanky, and all of his questions would be about spanking.  That’s because he was spanked as a child and he turned out just fine.  That’s what he tells everyone, at least.  

My Uncle Bob would probably make the worst impression but it probably wouldn’t take very long for him to get banned anyway.  All of his questions would be anti-LGBTQIA stuff and anti-Muslim stuff.

Sometimes, it’s just a good thing to keep the sites you visit private.

This post was edited by Livvie at May 23, 2021 5:29 AM MDT
      May 22, 2021 4:02 PM MDT

Never in a million years. 
      May 22, 2021 4:33 PM MDT

My daughter was a member on the old Answerbag for a while, but she lost interest. She's more into TikTok.
      May 22, 2021 7:13 PM MDT

I heard on the radio yesterday that a large majority of ‘Linnials (more than 75% of them, if I remember correctly) consider TikTok to be their #1 source for news.
    ~

May 22, 2021 8:21 PM MDT

I hope that's not true! 
      May 22, 2021 8:31 PM MDT

¿Quién sabe?

~

May 22, 2021 8:32 PM MDT

It's no less reliable than NewsCorpse. If you believe anything in a Rupert rag, I have this bridge you might be interested in buying ...
      May 23, 2021 12:28 AM MDT