Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What weather condition annoys you or worries you the most?

What weather condition annoys you or worries you the most?

Posted - May 26, 2021

Responses

Clouds at night when there's a celestial event happening. Missed last night's lunar eclipse due to a full overcast over Adelaide. I groused about it to my son, then asked him how many meteor showers we'd missed due to weather.
    He replied, "ALL of them!"
      May 26, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

Snow - I can't stand snow.
      May 26, 2021 8:42 PM MDT

Snow! I don't like looking at it, Don't like shoveling it, Don't like driving in it, I don't like anything about it. 
      May 26, 2021 8:48 PM MDT

Day after day after day after day of very warm, sunny, blue sky weather
      May 26, 2021 8:50 PM MDT

WHAT! You don't like perfect weather??
      May 26, 2021 8:55 PM MDT

ExACTly. :)

Since a young boy, I have lived this way -- hearing everyone tell me "to get out and enjoy the weather!" on such perfect-weather days -- when it's, for me, those cloudy, overcast days I love.  :)

May 26, 2021 9:02 PM MDT

Okay.
      May 26, 2021 9:20 PM MDT

There are a lot of people who are like that.
    ~

May 26, 2021 9:29 PM MDT

Hey, the last two days must have been wonderful.
      May 27, 2021 8:48 AM MDT

I don't even remember. Have had things on my mind.
      May 27, 2021 6:01 PM MDT

I thought you lived in Ohio.
      May 27, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

I exaggerate. And I always have since a boy -- two days in a row of non-stop, sun up, sun down  sun, sun, sun weather - - and it seems like four days in a row and I let it get to me.

" oKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, sun -- I get the point. You're up there."

Never said I wasn't weird. But people still seem to like me. 

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 28, 2021 5:52 AM MDT
      May 27, 2021 6:07 PM MDT

Well, I like you. 

~

May 27, 2021 6:59 PM MDT

I just came across your reply! Somehow I had missed it! Thanks, Randy D!
    :)
      May 30, 2021 4:52 PM MDT

I was born in a place that has about nine months of cold weather every year, including long term periodic bouts of barren trees, grey skies, snow-blanketed landscapes and bone-numbing freezing temperatures. Because I remained there for the first eighteen years of my life, it all became my paradigm; I was so accustomed to it that I never considered nor knew of any other option firsthand. Of course, there were a few trips away from there over the years, but they always took place in the summertime when school was out and half the country was on the road going somewhere anyway. The same summer heat that existed back home could be found at those vacation destinations, sometimes more intense or with more humidity, but I never experienced winter weather unless at home.

Then I joined the Marine Corps, and I was first stationed in sunny Southern California (by coincidence, I now live just 20 minutes driving distance from that base, and I’ve been in San Diego continuously since the mid-1990s). From there, I spent five straight years stationed in Hawaii, a location from which I deployed overseas aboard ship to the Western Pacific, hitting several Asian and decidedly tropical countries. There were also jaunts to Northern Africa, Australia, the Indian Ocean, etc. During my five-year stay in Hawaii, I was on three such deployments, each lasting six months, with eight months between each one being spent on Oahu.

There were some instances in which I was back in cold weather during those deployments, such as Northern Japan at the foot of Mount Fuji, where the Marine Corps maintained a mountain warfare training base, and participating in Exercise Team Spirit in South Korea, a place that I was in the absolute coldest environment in my entire life. The vast majority of my time in Hawaii and the Pacific, however, was always in the tropics.

After Hawaii, it was off to North Carolina for three years, with more overseas deployments. Ironically, even though my unit was supposed to go to Norway, Israel, England, France, Germany and other European locales, we were diverted to guess where? The Western Pacific! I repeated many of the same trips I had done before.

I rounded out my next chapter of Marine Corps life in places like Wisconsin, Central California, Southern California, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, Japan, and the Philippines.

When I left military service, I had the opportunity to be shipped to anywhere in the continental US, primarily back to my point of origin, my hometown. There was absolutely no way on God’s green earth that I was leaving Southern California and the beautiful year-round weather in San Diego. I have been here ever since. I care nothing for four seasons or snow at Christmastime, in fact, I want to live out the remainder of my life without ever being in snow again.

41f69_ceaa.jpeg

~

May 26, 2021 9:28 PM MDT

Did you live somewhere in Alaska for your first 18 years?

(image no show) This post was edited by Kittigate at May 27, 2021 6:09 PM MDT
      May 26, 2021 10:15 PM MDT

Nope, not at all, in fact, far from it.  Certainly you don’t assume that Alaska is the only place that fits the description I gave, do you?

Second attempt at posting image:

~

May 27, 2021 7:07 AM MDT

"Uh . . . let me help you drink that, sir."
      May 27, 2021 6:10 PM MDT

May 27, 2021 6:54 PM MDT

Hot/cool sunny weather pisses me the F**K OFF!!
      May 26, 2021 9:55 PM MDT

I can relate. Of those two choices, though. I'd prefer the cool F**K OFF  weather.  :)
      May 27, 2021 6:11 PM MDT

I love all kinds of weather!!!  However, the weather conditions that worry me most are the strong dry north winds that develop in the autumn.  I love windy days, but because of the ongoing drought, they are now fire winds.  One small spark and "poof!" 
      May 26, 2021 11:23 PM MDT

Snow then high winds. 
      May 27, 2021 12:17 AM MDT

Here in Michigan, we get a variety of weather so no annoyance here. There is one kind of weather phenomenon that worries me though and that's tornadoes. I've seen and experienced tornadoes from an F1 to an F5. While driving in my truck an F1 popped out of nowhere, grabbed me and my truck, jostled us around, picked us up a bit, then set us back down. That's the kind of a ride I don't care to take again. :)
      May 27, 2021 7:42 AM MDT