Active Now

my2cents
Thebigd
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Education » Which school subject or class was extremely difficult?

Which school subject or class was extremely difficult?

Math was extremely difficult for me

Posted - May 27, 2021

Responses

None were, but there were a few that bored me.
      May 27, 2021 8:36 AM MDT

Mathematics of any kind. I could get by but it was difficult. My favorite classes were government, biology, and English literature.
      May 27, 2021 8:39 AM MDT

Everything in math from algebra up.
      May 27, 2021 8:56 AM MDT

All subjects, either too boring or I was too lazy minded to do the work to achieve much learning like in maths, physics and chemistry. I quit school with a barely passing grade X.
      May 27, 2021 10:11 AM MDT

In elementary school, I always struggled with math, which meant that by the time I was in middle school and high school, I was way behind in regard to the expected level of mastering the subject was concerned. Except geometry, I never got beyond understanding basic math at any grade, which kept me from going into algebra, calculus, trigonometry, etc. (heck, to this day, I don’t even know what order they’re in as far as the stair-step evolution goes).

For some reason, I have always been so much better at language and the written word than I have ever been at numbers.

Then, a light bulb mysteriously went on when I was about 16 or 17 years old.  All general math seemed to just fall into place for my brain, it was an epiphany. It just became so simple to me that it was like suddenly being able to see clearly after being born with vision problems. The advanced courses were still way out of reach because I had a lot of catching up to do, and because I was getting so close to graduation. My main focus in life at that point was joining the Marine Corps, so I wasn’t thinking much about a subject in which I did not do well, and besides, I had a bad case of senioritis. 

Years later, while still in the Marine Corps, I started college, and the requirement to take math courses reared its ugly head. My epiphany from teenage years had served me well enough back then when it had first happened, but it was too rusty and unused to give me confidence a half a decade later. Since I was taking a combination of correspondence courses (I was overseas for part of this college journey) and night school, it was a tedious and arduous process, lasting several years and at several different bases and ships to which I was transferred. Additionally, I had also planned to stay in the Marines for a 20-year career, so I wasn’t really in the mindset of particularly needing a college education or degree. As such, I put off the general math courses, avoiding them until the end.

When I left active duty military service, I once again took up where I had left off with higher education by attending community college through the GI Bill, with plans to transfer to a four-year school to finish up with a bachelor’s degree. As I got closer to the associate’s degree, I could no longer put off the math requirement. once again, being out of practice, I struggled through the 101 and 102 types of courses, but then had to take an even more stringent one for the degree. I can’t remember what all of the choices were, but I picked Statistics. Why in the heck did I do that? Grrrrrrr. I did so poorly that the professor often looked at me as if I had been born on another planet where the concepts didn’t even exist in the abstract. I mean he would actually look me straight in the face as if to wonder, “How is it even possible that you don’t understand this material?” I was a lost cause in his perception, and he applied more attention to the students who were doing better.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

~

This post was edited by Randy D at May 31, 2021 7:29 PM MDT
      May 27, 2021 7:15 PM MDT

I thought statistics was fun. Am I weird or what?
      May 31, 2021 5:09 PM MDT

I’m not referring to your experience, I’m referring to mine. Why would what you thought about it or think about it have any bearing on that? Besides, aren’t you extremely science-minded?
    ~

May 31, 2021 5:12 PM MDT

Just making conversation. Science/math, yes. English and history, no.
      May 31, 2021 5:14 PM MDT

Constitutional law is difficult but was one of the best courses I had in law school.  Tax law was a special kind of misery and at least weekly I remember to thank God I never have to go through that again. 
      May 27, 2021 7:30 PM MDT

SHHHHHHH! Don’t let Stu read that last sentence! 

:(
    ~

May 27, 2021 7:34 PM MDT

May 27, 2021 7:36 PM MDT

• The most difficult classes I had in high school were government and community service.  I had the same teacher for both of those classes, and I didn't get along with her.  I had difficulty in classes where I had conflict with the teacher. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 31, 2021 5:09 PM MDT
      May 28, 2021 4:42 PM MDT

Any class with a lot of reading.  I like to read but I do not like to be told what to read or when to do it. 
      May 31, 2021 4:43 PM MDT

Math and it's still a pain in my a**! This post was edited by Zack at May 31, 2021 5:09 PM MDT
      May 31, 2021 4:49 PM MDT