Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Did you have religious instruction when you were growing up?

Did you have religious instruction when you were growing up?

My parents did not have firm religious beliefs, allowing me and my siblings to decide if we wanted to follow (or to not follow) a religion.  I went to religious services for a few years as a child. 

Posted - May 29, 2021

Responses

Yes, I grew up with instruction in Christianity and the expectation that I would embrace it as my own religion. 
      May 29, 2021 9:01 AM MDT

I think I went to religious instruction for about five minutes when I was a kid.  
      May 29, 2021 10:24 AM MDT

What?  No Hebrew classes and Sunday school classes?  In our neighborhood that is the norm.  Both of my girls went to those classes with their best friends and their best friends often went to church with us on Wednesday nights.  They grew up visiting between the protestant churches, the catholic churches, and the Jewish Temple.  The exposure was good for them.  As far as I know they all embraced and still are active in the same faith as their own families.  I mention this because some people (including my mother) thought it was 'dangerous' to let the kids have those experiences.  Phooy!
      May 30, 2021 12:32 AM MDT

I did actually take Hebrew classes, but only for a short time and only to get out of some school class. :)  I probably spent more time in Church with my friends than I did in synagogue, much like your daughters.  The neighborhood in which I grew up was comprised of many different nationalities and it was a wonderful place to learn the cultures of others, the foods they ate, their religious rites.  Too bad more people don't have the same opportunity.  Maybe there wouldn't be as much dislike or outright hatred for those who are a little different than us.
      May 30, 2021 6:55 AM MDT

Enough to learn the basics of Christianity anyway. We only went to church about once a month when I was a kid.
      May 29, 2021 11:12 AM MDT

Yes, I went to a parochial school through 7th grade, then attended weekly religion classes through 12th grade and went to church every Sunday.
      May 29, 2021 1:05 PM MDT

I didn’t have a shortage of it.  I went to parochial school from kindergarten through 8th grade.  My mom wanted me to go to a Christian boarding school for high school but my dad put his foot down and saved me from that fate.  She really wanted me to grow up to be a parochial school teacher and she really wanted my brother to grow up to be a pastor.  We disappointed her.

The most important thing in the world to my mom was being in the in-crowd and somebody important at church. She was always sucking up to the pastor and the popular people at church.  It was truly eye-rollworthy. This post was edited by Livvie at May 30, 2021 8:55 PM MDT
      May 29, 2021 1:49 PM MDT

I'm so sorry.  I knew those mothers when I was growing up.  My mother wasn't one of them. 
      May 30, 2021 12:34 AM MDT

Most definitely!  My parents were strong Christians who not only taught us about it, but lived out their beliefs (actions behind their words).  We went to church every Sunday morning and evening, as well as on Wednesday nights.    
      May 29, 2021 2:07 PM MDT

No really. I went to church every now and then as a kid with my parents.

I went on my own as a teen with friends. 

But no formal or regular instruction.
      May 31, 2021 5:03 PM MDT