Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever hear of JBS? It's allegedly the largest supplier of MEAT in the world. They were cyperattacked hacked in Australia and the US. WHAT?

Ever hear of JBS? It's allegedly the largest supplier of MEAT in the world. They were cyperattacked hacked in Australia and the US. WHAT?

Why do you cyberattack and hack a meat company? VEGANS behind it?

Posted - June 1, 2021

Responses

If it was the most common type of attack, the hackers were most likely simply after money.

"Largest supplier...", so a lot of money, and possibly weak security.

I don't know if the criminals work in the way that telephone scams work, by simply broadcasting the hack as widely as possible among large organisations, knowing most attempts will fail but sooner or later one company or another will unwittingly let the malware in.
      June 2, 2021 3:40 PM MDT

I read that many of their plants just had to shut down, stop production. Which means of course the prices will be higher because the volume of purchasable meat is smaller. You know what's funny but not really? About 15 years ago our ex-daughter-in-law was going for her MASTER'S degree at UCLA and at that time she was VERY INTERESTED in CYBER SECURITY! That long ago I guess there were classes or degrees or something that would deal with that. She is very smart. Sadly we lost touch but she showed me some homework once and it looked like Greek to me. Now everything is being hacked all the time. Before I think it would be limited to industrial espionage but NOW? It's done to topple governments and elect specific people by the use of disinformation among other things. Robots/automaton are out there pretending to be humans floating idiotic to the extreme conspiracy theories that the dumb bunnies take to heart. Our anything can be hacked and brought down. Sword of Damocles swings overhead. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      June 3, 2021 2:26 AM MDT

I imagine there are still classes and courses in cyber security! The whole thing is an arms-race in hexadecimal arithmetic rather than bombs.
      June 3, 2021 3:55 PM MDT

Thank you for the new word Durdle. I'll look it up/Google it. "Hexadecimal" arithmetic. Okay I just did and I don't understand it. Here's what the dictionary says.
    "16 is the RADIX
    The numerals used are 0-9. If larger than 9 then the letters A-F are used".
    I think I don't get the relationship ship between cyber and what you compare it to but I don't have to I guess. RADIX. A number taken as the base of a system of numbers,logarithms or the like. How is that different from the base we use which is ten isn't it? Deca?. I stumble over minutiae all the time. Trips me up. Thank you for your reply Durdle. This post was edited by RosieG at June 4, 2021 3:32 AM MDT
      June 4, 2021 3:31 AM MDT

Base 16. Like binary (zeros and ones), hexadecimal figures in powers of sixteen.
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    1A
    1B
    1C
    1D
    1E
    1F

20 in hexadecimal is equal to 32 in base 10. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 4, 2021 3:52 AM MDT
      June 4, 2021 3:44 AM MDT

OY VEY! OMG(osh)! Isn't that incredibly UNWIELDY? "20 in hexadecimal is equal to 32 in base 10" WHAT? Oh wait a minit. 32 degrees F is freezing. is that 0 in C? Is there any relationship there anywhere R? This was developed to FACILITATE? Thank you for the exposition. Now all I have to do is try to understand it. I appreciate the effort m'dear. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 4, 2021 3:55 AM MDT

Computers work in powers of two. A switch is either on (1) or off (0).
    As a computer can only count to one, which isn't terribly useful, they are designed to do it millions of times per second.
    An eight-bit processor can count to 11111111 - 255 in base 10, or 16 squared minus one. FF in hexadecimal, so the figures are less cumbersome.
      June 4, 2021 4:03 AM MDT

OH? Oh. So it's kinda like shorthand? OK. That I get. Thank you for hanging in and trying to reach me. Sometimes it's really hard. Some things I grasp instantly..others take awhile..and sometimes I NEVER GET IT. AARRGGHH! :) Oh I just thought of another question. I know. Shocking.
      June 4, 2021 4:08 AM MDT

It's not really shorthand but a complete language with a very small alphabet.

The computer's electronics' "language" uses only two characters, called "bits": 1 and 0. It's called 'binary' (Bi = 2).

Basically if a 1 is a pulse of electricity or a dot on a disc; then a 0 is the space that might otherwise be used by a "1". The circuits use an internal clock to mark time so they "know" 1s from 0s.

The manipulating boils down to electronic switches called transistors, which are either On (1) or Off (0); and their switching is based on a very small set of choices like "AND", "OR", etc., expressed by "Boolean Logic", after the 19C English mathematician John Boole, who invented it. I don't know what particular applications he had in mind or if it was an abstract concept waiting for a use to come along.

Bundling bits into 4s, 8 and 16s ('hexadecimal' means 6 + 10) facilitates manipulating larger chunks of data at higher speeds.

The arithmetic seems unwieldy to us because we are accustomed to base-10 and powers of 10; not base-2 arithmetic. (1-9 then 0 and carry 1 to denote 10; 11 - 99 then 00 and carry 1 to denote 100 ); but using that binary on/off system is the only way to make an efficient digital circuit. It counts to 1 then 0 and carry 1 to denote 2, and so on.

Most of the signals between your computer and mine are racing across the Atlantic and your continent as light through fibre-optic cables, so a 1 is a tiny flash, a 0 a tiny dark space.

There is no relationship between computer arithmetic and temperature scales.
      June 7, 2021 4:06 PM MDT

Thank you for the lengthy informative and very helpful reply . Once again I don't understand every single bit of it but enough to make it very helpful. However what jumped out at me in your reply? "An abstract concept waiting for a use to come along!" I wonder if you know how brilliant that observation is? At least it seems so to me because it knocked my socks off! You start with the conclusion you desire and then work very hard trying to find the steps leading to it. When you do then you get that AHAH moment. But it is also used for evil all the time. You know what you want. You know what arms you have to twist and toes you have to step on to get there. You do.  Starting with a conclusion is not often going to have a happy ending. Building up to it step by step in logical fashion? Wish all of life were based on that! Thank you for your reply m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 11, 2021 3:09 AM MDT
      June 8, 2021 1:02 PM MDT