Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Why do some women wear so much makeup?

Why do some women wear so much makeup?

Posted - June 1, 2021

Responses

Because they're too glam to give a damn about what other people think. :)
      June 1, 2021 9:19 AM MDT

Maybe they really are ugly underneath it.
      June 1, 2021 10:47 AM MDT

Because they THINK it makes them more "attractive" (and they found out a long time ago they couldn't breathe with paper bags over their heads).
      June 1, 2021 11:38 AM MDT

They have to do that when they are going to a party where no booze is being served.
      June 1, 2021 1:00 PM MDT

It's war paint. 
      June 1, 2021 1:51 PM MDT

What do you consider too much makeup?
      June 1, 2021 2:39 PM MDT

• 10 Beauty Mistakes Women in their 30's and 40's make - Woman of Style and  Substance
      June 1, 2021 4:28 PM MDT

This is what she looks like without makeup. If I had a face like that I'd never wear makeup again.  She is really pretty. 
      June 1, 2021 5:01 PM MDT

I agree: her natural beauty is exquisite!
    ~

June 1, 2021 6:54 PM MDT

OK, but she's a "celebrity."  Do you think the average woman wears that much makeup?
      June 2, 2021 10:10 AM MDT

Some do, SpunkySenior, some do, especially very young girls when they’re on their maiden voyages of learning how much to apply. Some celebrities have makeup artists and other such assistance, the average girl or woman does not.
    ~

June 2, 2021 11:17 AM MDT

to be fair, literally no one wears make up like this anymore. This is very 2000's and that just isn't the style. These days there is mostly artistry, and the "clean" girl no make up make up look. 

While this is obviously a lot of makeup, it's not because she is hiding how she looks or feels insecure, it's just art and self expression 

This is no make up make up, obvs still wearing sheer foundation, mascara, eyeshadow, and lip Gloss, very light eyeliner and clean brows. This isn't to hide a hideous face, it is to accentuate already beautiful features.
      July 3, 2022 8:44 PM MDT

The answer is simple!

Over 100 years of cosmetic industry influence has duped SOME women into truly believing two basic falsehoods: 1) you are horribly and disgustingly foul-looking in your natural state, and 2) even though your brutally ugly vision causes an eye-gouging desire in anyone forced to gaze upon you for more than one second, the only hope you have for ever meeting normal standards of displaying your wretched face and vomit-inducing skin in public with an air respectability and any attempt to appear graceful, human-like, and womanly, is for you to BUY and USE as many of our chemical-laden and utterly useless jars, vials, cans, beakers, tubes, tubs, vats, barrels, cases, pallets and shiploads of dubiously-advertised and laughable-endorsed “products”, bearing in mind the none of them are cheap in price regardless of how cheap the quality, and each item must be accompanied by at least two other ridiculously-priced and equally ineffective items, not to mention that after purchasing the first ones, several more items of supposedly different types and formulas must also be purchased to enhance the previous ones, not unlike a Ponzi scheme of toiletries, requiring each application to be spackled over with a caulking gun by yet another goop or paste or wax or solvent or crap that we pretend has just been discovered to be the beauty secret to end all beauty secrets (until next month when we come out with the exact same claim about a new concoction that’s expected to be better than the last).

But wait, THERE’S MORE, MUCH MORE!  Your nasty mug and scaly hide are in such bad shape that vast quantities of these miracle “cures” for your putrid unattractiveness are needed to transform your hoglike beastly visage. While quite small in individual volume when you pay our high prices for them, the plan calls for you to buy increasingly more and more of our junk over both short periods and long periods of time to make up for any profits that Big Cosmetic and Big Toilet might miss out on if we relied on simple truth and actual needs to push our junk. Sure, not much in each container, but they are to be used heavily, thickly, unabashedly, in successively overlapping coats, often, and repeatedly. As you run out of them, buy more and more; anything to keep yourself from being caught dead with that corpse you call a body and that skull you call a face.

Don’t bother that men are much less bombarded with these messages and pitches than women are; both Madison Avenue and Wall Street have poured millions of dollars into research, development, advertising, and marketing to play on your weaker and more gullible minds, targeting each complex or anxiety that they can exploit in order to convince you what ogres you are and how to spend your way to being so-called pretty.

End of rant.
    :[

This post was edited by Randy D at July 3, 2022 8:47 PM MDT
      June 1, 2021 2:56 PM MDT

Nice...and no errors.
      June 1, 2021 3:30 PM MDT

Thank you. I had to go back and edit them out. Grrrrrrr 

~

June 1, 2021 3:49 PM MDT

I have to agree with pretty much all of your rant, but long before there was a cosmetics industry, the Egyptians were using makeup, especially heavy around the eyes.  
      June 1, 2021 3:36 PM MDT

I’m not saying that beautification only existed in the last 100 years, I’m saying the gross commercialization of it has. It’s true that in many ancient cultures worldwide there were customs among both women and men for seeking ways to enhance attractiveness.  My rant is not about the practice itself or its origins, it’s about the for-profit bastardization of it, and the sheoplelization that goes along with it.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 3, 2022 8:47 PM MDT
      June 1, 2021 3:47 PM MDT

Understood.  Frankly, I don't think the majority of women wear too much makeup.  I probably wear the same number of beauty products as most other women, but the shades are natural ones.  I don't wear blue eye shadow or black eyeliner or very red lipstick or rouge.  As far as "beauty" items that are meant to make your skin appear smoother or more dewy, moisturizer is a must - especially for us older gals.  I would never pay  fortune for a moisturizer that I can get for $15.00 and there are some that work well for a lot less.  I'm not into that 17-step beauty routine.  
      June 2, 2021 10:16 AM MDT

• Wow, what a fantastic posting!  
      June 1, 2021 4:29 PM MDT

Thank you, my friend. I would let all of you know what I really think about the topic, but it‘s not something I’ve ever given a lot of thought. 

~

June 1, 2021 4:36 PM MDT

Yes, we women are all totally insecure and easy prey for the evil cosmetic industry.
      June 1, 2021 8:18 PM MDT

It's a form of self-expression. We all make choices about how we present ourselves. Cosmetics, facial hair, clothing, jewelry, etc. are all ways in which we do that. All of those items are subject to marketing hype and go in and out of style, but few women I know wear makeup because of insecurity about their looks.
      June 1, 2021 8:22 PM MDT

Ask any of them to give up using all makeup for one year and see what they say about feeling naked without it or not wanting to show their faces without it.
    ~

June 1, 2021 9:31 PM MDT

I understand what you're saying and I happen to disagree pretty strongly. Most women I know are perfectly content to go without makeup in circumstances when it's not practical (at the gym, for example) or when they are not concerned with how they present themselves (running errands, going for a walk, etc.). Makeup is just an accessory, like jewelry or a scarf. My late sister worked in a sterile lab where no one could wear makeup, or use hair products, lotions or scents. She and her female (and male) colleagues managed just fine. I also know many, many women who never wear makeup, ever. It's a personal choice, not something society forces on us. 
      June 2, 2021 6:13 AM MDT