Active Now

Randy D
Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Do you know anyone who has commited suicide?

Do you know anyone who has commited suicide?

Posted - June 3, 2021

Responses

A cousin. The family doesn't like to talk about it.
      June 3, 2021 7:39 AM MDT

Fortunately, I don't.
      June 3, 2021 8:00 AM MDT

Yeah I knew at least 4 people that killed them selfs. 2 teens - one hung himself and one shot himself. One guy who was in his 30s hung himself  on a childs swing set - he must of really wanted to die because he had to hold his legs up well  he hung. And a guy I worked with in the mine blew himself up. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at June 3, 2021 5:58 PM MDT
      June 3, 2021 8:56 AM MDT

Unfortunately yes
      June 3, 2021 9:39 AM MDT

Neighbor, probable suicide by drug overdose.
      June 3, 2021 12:00 PM MDT

I believe I went to high school with 2 or 3 people who committed suicide, but I didn't know them other than they went to the same school.

June 3, 2021 12:15 PM MDT

Unfortunately I could name 15 or 20 that I knew at different levels.
      June 3, 2021 5:06 PM MDT

Yes
      June 3, 2021 5:58 PM MDT

A kid in high school. But I really did not know him other than knowing it happened. He hung himself in a tree. 

It fullfilled a grim fact about our high school. From the beginning of the school at least one member of each graduation year died before graduation.  
    He was our year. I know the class above us a girl skipped class and got in a wreck on a motorcycle.  Class above that one was a drug overdose.
      June 3, 2021 6:56 PM MDT

A friend of mine! Was a tough time!
      June 6, 2021 5:11 AM MDT

Yes, 18 kids in my graduating class did, the most ever for any class at the school.  Our class even still has the highest death  by  accidents too.  Yet we still also have the largest graduating class ever at the school.  It going to stay that way since they finally added a second high school in the District.
      June 17, 2021 6:00 PM MDT

Sadly, yes. Four.

The first was a gentleman in his 70s I think, who calmly made his excuses while out shopping with his wife, and stepped out from behind a bridge into the path of a train. It seems that though in good physical and mental health for his age he feared deteriorating into being what he thought would be burden. Given his knowledge of transport, and being a retired civil-engineer, I am particularly surprised by his action.

Another was an aquaintance not close friend, and I do not know what made her throw herself at a London Underground train.

That may usually give a practically instant death but whatever your attitudes to suicide itself, but throwing yourself under a train is perhaps the most selfish method by its effects on others, especially the unfortunate driver. According to a railway industry magazine I once chanced upon, it is also the most common but least publicised external cause of disruption to Britain's rail services. 

'

The third suffocated himself with inert gas he stored for diving-air mixtures. I do not know the reason but we of his friends have our idea.

The fourth case, probably 20 or 30 years or so ago now, was particularly tragic. Her widower put about her having died from a brain tumour or similar, but I have been told very discreetly by close mutual friends that she was driven to suicide by terrible guilt. The couple's young child had fallen seriously ill but she was in the clutches of the Jehovah's Witnesses and too frightened to ignore their forbidding the child be treated. I don't know the husband's position in all this, but I don't think they had any other children and she ended her own life a year or two later, no longer able to live with her appalling decision. 

July 3, 2021 3:06 PM MDT