Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Is there anyone here who has NEVER watched any major celebrity award shows? I haven't.

Is there anyone here who has NEVER watched any major celebrity award shows? I haven't.

Posted - June 7, 2021

Responses

You're not alone, I refuse to sit and watch a bunch of stuck-up celebrities pat each other on the back.
      June 7, 2021 11:51 AM MDT

I used to watch every one.  Lately however, the award shows is less about great movie or acting work and more about politics so I quit watching. 
      June 7, 2021 12:24 PM MDT

Worst than that is the way some of them dress nowadays. 

:(

June 7, 2021 12:33 PM MDT

Yes, I agree.
      June 7, 2021 1:54 PM MDT

Never watched ANY "award show"?
    I doubt it.
    Most people have watched at least one "award show" in their lifetime, when you think about it.
    For example: If you attended a graduation ceremony - you watched an "award show".
    A birthday party?  Presents are "awards" for merely living another year.

June 7, 2021 12:38 PM MDT

I meant, of course, the major celebrity awards...Emmies, Oscars etc. I guess I should change my question.
      June 7, 2021 1:56 PM MDT

I used to watch the award shows, but haven't in a long, long time.  
      June 7, 2021 1:45 PM MDT

I haven't (not even as punishment when I was little).  
      June 7, 2021 3:46 PM MDT

I haven't since the 90's.
      June 7, 2021 4:41 PM MDT

Not in this century. 
      June 8, 2021 6:56 AM MDT

I am not one of those people.

I remember that the “People’s Choice Awards” used to be a big deal when I was growing up. I don’t know if I was in elementary school or junior high school (as it was known back then), but for a span of a few years, our family gathered to watch those.  The “Grammy Awards” and the “Emmy Awards” also, because they are for music and television shows respectively, which were very much culturally relevant to us then. To a lesser extent the “Oscars” (or the “Academy Awards”), but that has for decades been such a long and drawn-out production that the only categories I had ever found interesting are the big five at the end of the show. When I did watch parts of the show as a teen, I would only  watch those categories, but not every single year.

I became soured on the “Oscars” when I realized two truths: no matter how good they are, comedy movies will never win top honors, and decidedly bad movies won year after year, even though better movies were out there. As much as I loved and still love comedy, and seeing trash getting accolades while good ones were ignored, the movie awards became 100% meaningless to me.

By the time I reached high school, I can’t remember ever having been into nor having watched any award shows. I remember that MTv and VH1 and several other entities began their own takeovers of the award scene, and not only the art and artists and output was no longer of my era, the way people presented and represented themselves at award shows became a complete turn-off for me.

As awards shows were increasingly more politicized annually, there is no way I’d ever go back to watching them in their current state. I believe I’ll happily go to my grave one day without ever having seen one since my teens years, knowing full well that I have missed absolutely nothing.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 6, 2022 7:17 AM MDT
      June 5, 2022 6:30 PM MDT