Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » This is VERY hopeful. It appears that a small dose of laughing gas can help treat depression. Isn't that GREAT?

This is VERY hopeful. It appears that a small dose of laughing gas can help treat depression. Isn't that GREAT?

I don't know how long the "feeling better" lasts. I wonder if it could be made in portable form so folks could carry them around all the time? Like an asthma inhaler or Epi-pen? Good news I think. For a change.

Posted - June 10, 2021

Responses

I doubt is as good news as it seems; and most certainly not something for casual use when it would only alleviate the symptoms for a short while.

Nitrous Oxide in small doses has a very short-term euphoric effect, but is mainly a pain-reliever used in some casualty situations and giving birth. It used to be a common dental anaesthetic but I don't know if it's still used for that. Its value lies in having no lengthy after-effects that might cause problems in hospital treatment.

I have used it when having a bad cut stitched, and been shown how to adminsiter it, in a cave-rescue practice session. In situations like that, it is self-administered, the casualty holding the breathing-mask to his or her own face but relaxing and dropping it when the gas starts to become anaesthetic. So it is automatically regulating. A demand-valve ensures proper inhalation and no waste.

So as it soon wears off I do wonder what the use in alleviating depression actually is, but obviously should be used only under medical supervision.

Unfortunately the stuff is available from dodgy on-line retailers, and bought by people wanting the euphoria it produces, "recreationally". What those party-animals do not know, or do not care, is that Nitrous Oxide is not meant to be inhaled needlessly, and such use can be dangerous. 
      June 10, 2021 2:19 PM MDT

Hi Durdle. Well I've certainly been "down in the dumps" from time to time but it is always SHORT-LIVED. I have a friend who suffered from clinical depression...it ran in his family for some reason. He told me there were days when he could find no good reason to get out of bed. The only times I've experienced THAT is when I was really sick. So from an outside observer it seems to me that anything that could help would be a good thing. As I said I don't know long the "feeling better" would last. "Any port in a storm"? Have you ever been very depressed for very long? It seems frightening to me. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and Happy Friday to thee the thine! :)
      June 11, 2021 2:49 AM MDT

Thankyou!

I have had periods of mental problems though not really depression. I was prescribed a mild sedative (I think) to lighten the symptoms, and of all things, a book! Available on loan from the local library it was about helping yourself out of poor self-confidence and the like. Later, I bought my own copy.

My experience with nitrous oxide is that of its analgesic properties, and in larger doses it is an anaesthetic, which is why I am surprised at it being found helpful in treating depression. What we don't know though is how it's administered - as a regular few breaths, or what?
      June 13, 2021 3:13 PM MDT

I'm not sure about how it is administered Durdle. I was a VERY SHY child. I don't know if that would be considred a "mental" problem. I just wanted to be invisible. I LOVED school and was a good studen which made me a target. I skipped a few grades so I was younger which didn't help at all. I'd just withdraw until it felt safe. I still do that thought I'm much braver now. What you see here is who I am in real life too. I don't hide behind a screen. i'm not a different person in person. I'm no longer shy. What people think of me is their right. It bothers me not one bit. I used to hate to disappoint anyone especially my parents. I was first born and I think sometimes that takes a toll on a person. My younger sister is a delight and all sunshine. She was VERY POPULAR and still is. She draws people to her like a magnet. I'm very proud of her. I think I'm going to ask who  is a first born and it is an asset or a liability? As for your mental state I hope all is well today and futurely m'dea! I was a loner as kid not by choice but by being shy. I remember wishing I could be like other kids and have lots of friends. I didn't know how to reach out and so I just learned to depend on me. The popular kids were very nice and kind to everyone. But I did have problems with a couple of "the other ones". But I survived it as you have and are. I guess in a way we are warriors aren't we? In our own way? :)
      June 14, 2021 6:18 AM MDT