Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The FDA approved a new drug to fight obesity...WEGOVY. Why not just eat less and sit less and move more?

The FDA approved a new drug to fight obesity...WEGOVY. Why not just eat less and sit less and move more?

Posted - June 10, 2021

Responses

americans are lazy.  they'd rather pop a pill and let it solve their problems than to stop eating their deep fried sticks of butter wrapped in beer battered fried bacon.  (besdes, using a TV remote is enough exercise for anyone)
      June 10, 2021 11:26 AM MDT

I mean seriously. EAT LESS. SIT LESS. MOVE MORE. How hard is that? Plus it's free. You don't have to pay for it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      June 10, 2021 11:37 AM MDT

The new drug does basically the same thing as drugs and supplements that are already on the market.  It turns down peoples’ appetites so they eat less and lose weight.  The most common culprit in obesity is an appetite which makes people hungry even after they’ve already eaten too much.  All these drugs do is turn off that hungry feeling.
      June 10, 2021 12:58 PM MDT

If the food they'd eat were the kind they should eat they would be satisfied. Stay away from sugar and salt and fatty foods. Poached chicken or candy bars ice cream cakes and cookies and fried things. If you CHOOSE well you get satisfied. There is a simple fix but people are too lazy or too obtuse to do it. As you grow bigger you stretch your stomach so it takes more to fill it. When you reverse that the stomach shrinks and less food is required. I used to have a "weight" problem decades ago. Once I started reading labels and nutritional information I stopped dieting and started just living. I was on every diet that was ever invented. Even took DIET pills once upon a time. Then I wised up. I saw something years ago on TV about a girl who had a disease where she was always ravenously hungry. That mechanism within us that signals we're full she did not have. They had to put locks on cupboards and the refrigerator and she'd be screaming for food. Poor soul. I don't know what happened to her. If you value something enough you figure out a way to get it or do or be it. People want a pill to fix everything. Instant OK. Thank you for your reply Liv. Apologies for the rant. Just give us a pill for every problem. I feel a question coming on! Happy Friday to thee and thine m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 11, 2021 2:32 AM MDT
      June 11, 2021 2:20 AM MDT

I agree with you about eating healthy foods.  I live on a farm so I grow most of my own food, and if I don’t grow it myself I get it from the local farm-to-market grocery store.  Before my husband married me, he was a long-distance truck driver, so every meal he ate was at a truck stop.  He had to go to pretty extreme lengths to keep the extra weight away, namely no carbs, no sweets and no bread at all.  That was the only thing that worked for him.  Now that he quit that job and eats only our home-grown food, the extra weight just stays away without any real effort on his part.

Now, compare the ingredients on American food packages with the ingredients on food packages in every other country in the world.  Our food has way more chemicals in it than the food in the rest of the world, and the US is just about the fattest country in the world.  Is that just a coincidence, or are the additives designed to make people want to keep eating and eating just to increase the bottom line of the food industry?  I think it’s to increase the bottom line of the food industry.

I have an unpopular opinion, I know, but I think it’s absolutely time for the government to start banning a lot of those food additives.  They should also subpoena their corporate records to see if they knew those additives were designed to make people want to eat more and more.  I think that would get much better results than America’s preferred method of dealing with these problems, which is just lecturing people about personal responsibility.
      June 11, 2021 2:51 AM MDT

LUCKY YOU sweetie! YOU GROW YOUR OWN FOOD. Oh my that is wonderful. I share your view. Not only food additives including all food coloring that isn't natural but all the GMO. Genetically modified organisms! Do other other countries allow that? I shall ask. It scares me bigly because how do we know that doing that won't eventually genetically modify us? I'm not a scientist but YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT. Just like the additives in cigarettes to addict people I know additives in foods are to addict people as well. Of course personal responsibility is key. BUT a government that helps us help ourselves is what we need and it's what we do not have foodwise. I betcha very few people ever read ingredients labels. They see it they want it they buy it. End of story. And any suggestions that they are harming their bodies is met with OUTRAGE! How dare you tell me what to eat? MYOB! Sheesh. And so OBESITY is a huge problem among adults AND CHILDREN in America and they just don't give a dam*! SIGH. I know I'm preaching to the choir so apologies. Exactly right. Once  your food choices are based on nutritional soundness weight problems disappear. But we are told not to fat shame people. That all sizes are beautiful. SIGH. Thank you for your informative and nifty reply Liv! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 11, 2021 3:05 AM MDT
      June 11, 2021 3:03 AM MDT