Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Sometimes or maybe even very often the least expensive foods are the healthiest. Examples?

Sometimes or maybe even very often the least expensive foods are the healthiest. Examples?

Yellow onions may contain almost ELEVEN TIMES MORE antioxidants than white onions. Whites are always more expensive.

Dried beans you cook from scratch have 0 fat 0 salt 0 sugar and are high in fiber and protein.

The canned beans have high sodium, sometimes sugar.

Do you go for simplicity? How do you go about it?

Posted - June 11, 2021

Responses

White onions are rarely seen over here - I saw them in the Polish shop a few weeks ago, but they're not on sale in most supermarkets. I don't really know much about the benefits of antioxidants, so it's not something I would give much thought to. But it's generally reckoned that it's good to eat lots of vegetables and pulses, go easy on sugar and processed fats, and that foods prepared from scratch are generally healthier than those heavily processed or packaged.

I don't often buy dried beans because even after soaking they take a long time to cook. It took well over an hour last time I prepared black beans from scratch. So I rarely have the patience. Mung beans are the exception as they only take 20 minutes max. I use dried lentils a lot more than beans. 

I think it is possible to get canned beans without added salt, but I don't usually read the small print on the labels.
      June 11, 2021 11:33 AM MDT

I cook all beans from scratch. Two lbs at a time and then I cool them and freeze them in two-serving size portions. My freezer is full of grains and pastas and beans already cooked just needing defrosting. That way I completely control the content and put all kinds of meals together very quickly!. I LOVE to cook so it's no big deal for me to spend the time. But I do it in LARGE amounts because it takes as long for 1 cup of dried beans to cook as it does 2 lbs! Thank you for your reply Rev! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 13, 2021 12:33 AM MDT
      June 12, 2021 5:09 AM MDT