Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What was the last thing you sealed inside of a ziplock-type plastic bag? ~

What was the last thing you sealed inside of a ziplock-type plastic bag? ~

For me, chocolate chip cookies. 

Posted - June 11, 2021

Responses

Half a tomato.

EDIT:  By the way, I found these really great zipper bags in Walmart.  They are about 4" x 4" rather than oblong so you can put something in it that is deeper.  They come 200 to a box.

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 11, 2021 6:58 PM MDT
      June 11, 2021 6:30 AM MDT

Thanks for the household hint!

~

June 11, 2021 6:50 AM MDT

These bags are so much more useful than the long thin ones.  I think it was about $3 for 200 bags.
      June 11, 2021 9:53 AM MDT

Some cheese.
      June 11, 2021 7:48 AM MDT

• Pigs' feet 
      June 11, 2021 9:30 AM MDT

LOL!!! What do you mean pig's feet?
      June 11, 2021 1:35 PM MDT

That’s an actual meal for some people. My mother was born on The South (southern United States), and grew up on authentic soul food. When she became a mother, she often served for dinner pig’s feet, or pig’s ears, or pig’s snout, or pig’s tails, or chitterlings (which are pig’s entrails, intestines).  My siblings and I absolutely HATED each and every one of these dishes, they never appealed to us even one bit, but since my mother had eaten them all her life, she was not only accustomed to them, she loves them thoroughly. The stench when they’re being cooked is indescribably horrible, it permeates the whole house. Trying to chew the thick hide and tough meat is an exercise is difficulty and torture. Neither any of my siblings nor I have ever eaten those things since our childhoods.

The history of pig parts as soul food is historical in that during slavery in the United States (1600s to circa 1860s), wealthy slaveowners and their families, guests, etc., ate well, but slaves ate scraps, unwanted leftovers, and garbage, basically anything the whites didn’t want to eat or would not eat because it was beneath them. The slaves, however, were often the ones who toiled to take care of and prepare most of the food. A “reward” for their hard labor was that the parts of animals that were discarded after slaughter became the slaves’ food. The best parts, or cuts, went to the whites, the slop went to the slaves. Rather than face starvation, slaves developed ways to turn out edible meals with the meager offerings. 

It is the origin of the phrase, EATING HIGH OFF THE HOG. Those better cuts came from upper portions of the animals’ bodies, and lower parts were considered less appetizing, less refined. Feet, hooves, snouts, tails, etc. are the parts closest to the ground, closest to dirt, closest to urine and excrement, the most disgusting parts. In fact, the intestines are actually filled with excrement, which has to be cleaned from them before they can be cooked, back-breaking work that takes hours. That in turn accounts for the foul smell and taste.  No self-respecting person would eat that, which made it perfect for slaves.

Decades after slavery ended, the socio-economic status of Blacks left them with fewer choices to break out of long-held practices, which is why a century after slavery was over, many Black people like my mother had a lifelong habit of eating the same way her ancestors had been forced to eat. Migration from The South in mass numbers, accompanied by better living conditions and more exposure to differing customs, all of these have little by little led to the practices being abandoned by successive generations. To this day, my mother, now in her golden years, still likes certain foods she has eaten since her infancy.
    ~

June 11, 2021 6:18 PM MDT

These are available at Walmart. 
      June 11, 2021 6:30 PM MDT

Yes, many stores carry all of these items, some fresh, some canned, some in jars, some frozen.
    ~

June 11, 2021 6:31 PM MDT

Ice.
      June 11, 2021 11:02 AM MDT

It was some Violife, which is a type of non-dairy cheese product.
      June 11, 2021 11:50 AM MDT

Rice, either Monday or Tuesday...not sure when I had that squash and rice.
      June 11, 2021 12:26 PM MDT

charger for a bird feeder.
      June 11, 2021 12:32 PM MDT

I made homemade beef jerky last week then bagged it up in zip locks.
      June 11, 2021 1:36 PM MDT

Various travel items for one of our travel bags.  (Soaps, conditioner,  toothpaste/mouthwash, toothbrushes, meds etc)  Our bag was getting hard to find things in it when we go on trips. 
      June 11, 2021 1:40 PM MDT

Bird seed.
      June 11, 2021 2:02 PM MDT

My COVID vaccine card (fits perfectly in a snack size bag).
      June 11, 2021 2:43 PM MDT

((((Pssst, listen, if you need copies of your own vaccine card, or if any of your family members or friends or neighbors or coworkers need a vaccine card, I can get my hands on as many as you can pay for. Of course, it’s not important whether or not these people have received the vaccination, that’s a minor point. Meet me at midnight with a list of names and dates of birth, I’ll be near the abandoned warehouse on the other side of the tracks. Have with you a large canvas bag stuffed to the gills full of cash, and make sure I don’t see one cop or the whole deal is off.))))
    ~

June 11, 2021 6:28 PM MDT

Half a can of wet cat food for my wonderful feline housemate.

EDIT: Well, I sort of take back my answer -- the can is fully intact; it's just half-full of food, ha

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 11, 2021 7:13 PM MDT
      June 11, 2021 6:57 PM MDT