Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Does a person who remains silent in a very tense situation concern you?

Does a person who remains silent in a very tense situation concern you?

Posted - June 11, 2021

Responses

Not really because some people are like that, they would only speak up when directly confronted. 
      June 11, 2021 5:45 PM MDT

It would depend on that specific nature of the specific tense situation for me.
    But, in general, quite often, such a person would not concern me. In fact, I might respect them for remaining silent.
    To me, they are perhaps being respectful to all, listening to all points of views, and they may be choosing to keep their own cool and choosing to not react out of impulse.

I've certainly experienced way more people that do concern me when they just start spouting off.

Do forgive me, my friend, for sounding tense (ha) but I've gotten rather pissed off in more-than-several recent situations from people spouting off and basically demeaning me for whom I am as a person. And I sit there thinking, "WHAT did you just say in front of me and to me?"

And the fact that I have chosen, (at this point, at least), to remain silent in those situations has . . . 

My  Point:    . . . caused me to be concerned about myself.

I am the one remaining silent in the tense situations.

(Great question!)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 12, 2021 6:29 AM MDT
      June 11, 2021 6:14 PM MDT

Sorry that has happened to you. People are such a-holes. 
      June 11, 2021 10:04 PM MDT

:)  Thanks. 
      June 12, 2021 6:13 AM MDT

I expect her to stay silent, but the closer the train gets, as loud as it is, the more moot the point becomes.
    ~

June 11, 2021 6:46 PM MDT

Wow -- that is disturbing and chilling to me!  (In a great way, somehow, though! Due to the fact that I immediately fell into the moment of the image. Yikes. All four people nail the moment in four different ways to me.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 11, 2021 10:02 PM MDT
      June 11, 2021 6:49 PM MDT

In a great way? You know that's probably what happened to Jaimie, right? 

Jane or I are probably next. How can you say in a great way? 

:P
    =)
      June 11, 2021 9:52 PM MDT

:)
    Sorry about that.

I meant the image in a "great" way in only a similar way that I found director Michael Haneke's original (not his own later remake) 1997 "Funny Games" film:  it's THE most disturbing movie I've ever seen so far in my life but it's also one of the very best. I immediately declared it a masterpiece for me. No gore, no overt violence, no blockbuster special effects. A quiet little incredibly devastating-to-me movie.
    "Great."

Funny Games (1997) - Filmaffinity

June 12, 2021 6:06 AM MDT

I was teasing, of course. :)

I'm still not watching that film. The stuff of nightmares! 
      June 12, 2021 6:14 AM MDT

Yes, i knew you were joking but I appreciate your reply.  :)

I mention this movie a lot. Can't remember what I've said about it. So, in case I already said it, forgive me but:  after seeing the movie, I read up on it. Haneke did not agree with the "Hollywood Blockbuster" approach top film violence  - he believed violence should not be "entertaining" for an audience to watch. He believed a violent film should be uncomfortable for people to watch/experience. And his "Funny Games" certainly achieved its goal.
    It's so quiet. And the cast is flawless to me. and there are some scenes, on in particular, that I have NEVER seen done in any movie. At that particular scene, I swore out loud, threw my remote at the TV (luckily I have bad aim), stopped the movie and went outside in the late evening and took a walk.

(and, just to let you know I wasn't COMPLETELY disturbed -- that's actor Arno Frisch in the poster image - - yeah, I certainly noticed his attractiveness, ha. And it's not even a very good image of him to me. I've seen him since in other movies, too - - great actor to me.)

And I did see your, and others, answers to my recent music question. I have to go to work now, though. I will get to it. But I did see the opening moments of that music video and loved it.  :)
      June 12, 2021 6:24 AM MDT

I came back to say - -- yeah, the original "Funny Games" is sort of potentially nightmarish.
      June 13, 2021 6:25 PM MDT

“ . . . that's probably what happened to Jaimie, right?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone, Joan! I have NOT been hauled into police headquarters and questioned about any involvement of anything untoward having happened to poor Jaimie, so I’m obviously not a suspect! Heck, she hasn’t even been reported missing by anyone. She’s probably run off with her movie-watching buddy, or the Amazon delivery man, or a marriage counselor, or a moose doctor, or a snow engineer, or a Molson’s salesman, or a judge at restraining order court, or a maple syrup engineer, or a Mountie, or a divorce lawyer, or a ski waxer, or a hockey game announcer, or a winter coat manufacturer, or a tree surgeon, or a coffee grower, or any of dozens of other prospects. A Canadian woman doesn’t show up around here and you think I had something to do with it. Grrrrrrr.

~

June 12, 2021 7:20 AM MDT

Well, let's hope you're right. For your own sake. 
      June 12, 2021 9:02 PM MDT

Not unless it's perpetual. 
      June 11, 2021 10:07 PM MDT

Interesting point there, yes.
      June 12, 2021 6:11 AM MDT

Yeah, I find that most tense situations don't magically solve themselves. 

Did you ever watch 'The Facts of Life'? Mrs. Garrett's 'talk about your problems' philosophy really had an impact on my young, impressionable psyche. 

June 12, 2021 6:20 AM MDT

I didn't watch the show a lot. But I've seen it. I can hear Mrs. Garrett saying that kind of help.  :)

I always thought that "Natalie' was funny - - I think that was the character's name.
      June 12, 2021 6:27 AM MDT

I watched religiously until the last season or so. When Mrs. Garrett left. Chloris Leachman's character was a complete bust in my opinion. 

Yes, she was funny, probably my favorite. Blair was the worst. Snotty biatch. ;)
      June 12, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

I'm thinking I might remember hearing that Leachman joined the show at some point.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 14, 2021 12:23 AM MDT
      June 13, 2021 6:24 PM MDT

Nah. That person is usually me. 
      June 12, 2021 6:33 AM MDT

No.  Using silence effectively is an art form. 
      June 12, 2021 9:39 PM MDT

Not necessarily so. They may not have a realistic contribution to the situation and rather than talk about something they know very little of, they choose silence.
      June 14, 2021 8:53 AM MDT