Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » WHAT IF humans could fly? Someone "whatiffed" that question and the result was planes. What would YOU have liked to have WHAT IFFED? Why?

WHAT IF humans could fly? Someone "whatiffed" that question and the result was planes. What would YOU have liked to have WHAT IFFED? Why?

Posted - June 14, 2021

Responses

What if warp speed (FTL) was possible?
      June 14, 2021 10:14 AM MDT

I think I read somewhere it is. Maybe I'm conflating that with a movie or something. Does warp speed have any designated numbers affixed to it R? Like 100 times the speed of light? Can it cut all the way across the universe in seconds? What about the wormhole shortcut? Take it and you're on the other side infinitely more quickly? A hole in space time? A tunnel? A door? I don't know but it sure is intoxicating to contemplate isn't it? Some folks have long ago closed those doors. I've no idea how they can be so sure of what isn't. Are you? Thank you for your reply R. Here comes a question. :)
      June 14, 2021 10:19 AM MDT

This is how I heard Warp works on StarTrek, since it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light.
    For the Federation, the ship is placed in a "bubble" (warp) of time/space. 
    A singularity (aka: black hole) is created outside that "bubble" - pulling the ship towards it.
    Since the ship stays in its own bubble of time/space, it never exceeds the speed of light.

Klingon/Romulan ships are different, as they are powered by singularities.  Allegedly.  That's also why they can cloak their ships.
      June 14, 2021 11:33 AM MDT

It's impossible to go faster than the speed of light. Now. What would make it impossible for all time since we don't know what's ahead in terms of quantum physics or astrophysics discoveries? We predict the future based on our current limitations. That doesn't seem right does it? Thank you for your reply m'dear. I trust you will disabuse me of my ignorance on this issue. Right? :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 14, 2021 11:47 AM MDT
      June 14, 2021 11:46 AM MDT

Einstein's equation: The Energy required to travel = to the Mass x Constant speed of light(squared).
    So for a starship to travel at the speed of light, you would have to expend enormous amounts of energy.
    Scientists believe it would require less energy to "cheat" by finding a way to warp space.  (such as StarTrek or creating wormholes)
    Quantum physics actually may lead to a way to create wormholes or portals between locations.
      June 14, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

If humans could traval at Warp Speed ever time a ship tried to reach Warp Speed with Donald Trump on board Scotty would be saying - the engines can'take take it captain. Cheers!
      June 14, 2021 10:36 AM MDT

:):):)
      June 14, 2021 11:48 AM MDT

If humans could fly Donald Trump would need a 300 foot wing span to keep his over weight body in the air. Cheers!
      June 14, 2021 10:17 AM MDT

I think you are being VERY KIND as usual m'dear. I say maybe a 10,000 wing span. See the diff? Thank you for your reply! You'd be a very good PR person! :)
      June 14, 2021 10:20 AM MDT