Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Education » What are your memories of your first day of school as a 5-year-old child?

What are your memories of your first day of school as a 5-year-old child?

My father took me to school on the first day.  All of the kids were crying and screaming to go home.  I told myself that I was not going to be a crybaby like the other kids.  However, when the teacher announced that it was time for all the parents to leave, I cried and screamed louder than all of the other 5-year-old kids.  

Posted - June 14, 2021

Responses

I confess I was a big cry baby.
      June 14, 2021 4:54 PM MDT

I don't remember anything about that day.
      June 14, 2021 4:59 PM MDT

To this day, many decades later, I still remember her name: Helen Composeda*, who was another 5-year-old just like I was. Her mother was trying to drop her off and leave, but Helen was screaming bloody murder and wasn’t having any of that. I didn’t understand why she was crying, but in my 5-year-old mind, I didn’t connect the fact that being the first day of school was the problem  In fact, I didn’t even realize that it was the first day of school for me either. I thought Helen’s crying was just like any other crying jag that kids often go through, so I ignored her, but the reason I still remember it is that she was so loud and so dramatic with it. There may have been other kids carrying on also, I have no memory of them at all, just Helen.

As for me, I had no problem whatsoever being left there, because right in the middle of the classroom was a pile of toys and children’s books and wooden jigsaw puzzles. From the second I walked in, that’s all I saw and all I cared about. Heck, the whole room with its tiny chairs just our size and the drawings on the walls geared toward us, I was in Heaven. Not only did I not cry, I was excited and glad to be there. I paid no attention to my mother at all, I knew that I wouldn’t or couldn’t have fun as long as she was there, so her leaving was in my favor.

One caveat about my first day reaction or non-reaction is that my mother had put all of us through preschool, and I have two elder siblings who were already attending school, so for me, it was a natural progression that one day I would do the same. I do not remember anyone, not my mother, sister, or brother ever saying a word to me about my “big day” coming up in the days or weeks or months before it happened. It may have been talked about, I just don’t remember whether it was or not. To me, I didn’t know it was coming and I didn’t know its supposed significance. Granted, I was that weird little kid who loved learning, loved school, so there were no waterworks from me.

Years later, when I was old enough to discover that many children cry and cause scenes on their first day of school, I reflected on Helen and her performance, it dawned on me the reason she had been bellyaching about back at kindergarten; she didn’t want her mother to leave her there! Duh! What a big ol’ baby she was, I thought.

Ok, even though I attended that same school from K to 5th grade, I have no other memories of Helen herself beyond the first day of school. When I was in junior high school or high school, Helen showed up again in the student body. I can’t remember if I was the one who brought it up, or another student, but someone piped up with something like, “Hey, aren’t you the girl who cried her eyes out louder than anyone else and wouldn’t let go of her mother’s leg back in kindergarten?” Anyone in the world could tell that Helen was sick of it being brought up, and hated being teased about it. I think her response was, “Yeah, I was 5, but I’m not any more; are YOU?”

*Even though I do remember her real name, I have changed it here for the sake of her privacy. It is not necessary for me to give her real name, so I have transliterated it into an alias.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 14, 2021 11:25 PM MDT
      June 14, 2021 5:26 PM MDT

Great story! 
      June 14, 2021 7:12 PM MDT

I was sitting at the front and the kid behind me could be a bit of a pest but he was funny, he would do things like dip his sandwich in his inkwell* then take a big bite of it and chew with his mouth wide open.

*We used fountain pens, ball points had not been invented yet.

He also got me tasting glue samples from the little bottles, it tasted kind of sweet. (the old kind of glue made from horses that went to the glue factory) This post was edited by Kittigate at June 16, 2021 5:53 PM MDT
      June 14, 2021 6:50 PM MDT

We used quills.
      June 14, 2021 6:52 PM MDT

Really...?
      June 14, 2021 7:00 PM MDT

No...I jest. And you can call me Shirley.
      June 14, 2021 7:01 PM MDT

Fun days of yore.
      June 14, 2021 7:04 PM MDT

LOL!
      June 14, 2021 7:12 PM MDT

I can top that; we used hammer and chisel.

~

June 16, 2021 5:56 PM MDT

Kids in Australia don't get ink until fourth grade - it's pencils until then (HB, anything softer smudges horribly, harder tears the paper). I remember how proud I was when I got my "pen licence", my penmanship was abysmal and still is. My fifth grade teacher, who had an aversion to my intestinal make-up (ie she hated my guts), opined that I didn't deserve it.
      June 17, 2021 4:07 PM MDT

I can't remember if us primary graders were allowed to use ink pens or not. I think we were probably only allowed pencils and crayons.
      June 17, 2021 4:32 PM MDT

I rode the bus my first day like every other day. I don't remember if my mom picked us up or another carpool mom. 

I was incredibly excited and felt as if my life was officially starting! I adored my teacher and the feeling was mutual. I don't have a single bad memory from kindergarten, other than a broken bone and cast. That sucked. Oh, and being ill. But nothing directly to do with kindergarten itself. 
      June 14, 2021 7:16 PM MDT

• I remember that I didn't want to wear shoes.  The classroom had a plastic playhouse in the corner.  A book shelf was along the wall.  The corner had a large yellow round doll with a smiley face and black arms and legs with white gloves and shoes.  The kids cried when their parents left.  Our first class was about numbers and counting.  One of the boys held onto the smiley doll.  He tried to keep the other kids away from it.
      June 14, 2021 7:26 PM MDT

Did you also cry when your parent(s) left?
    ~

June 16, 2021 9:44 PM MDT

• I don't remember crying.  That day is a distant memory.  I don't know if all of those memories are from the first day of initial school or if they're made up of different days.  The kid who tried to protect the smiley doll was Juan.  I've written about him here before.  My other main memory from initial school is that I didn't want to wear my shoes.  I remember the teacher holding up my feet to put my shoes back on for me.  I kept them on after that.
      June 17, 2021 6:38 AM MDT

I have no memories of my early childhood but I was told that on my  first day of school I stole the class turtle. Cheers!
      June 14, 2021 8:24 PM MDT

I don't remember the first day of kindergarten, but shortly before the school years started, they had what was called 'Kindergarten Roundup'. All of the kids and their mothers had an orientation day. The children were all sitting in a big circle having snacks and somehow during that time, I had an accident. I remember one of the mothers dipping her finger in the puddle and sniffing it to confirm that it wasn't spilled juice. I don't know how it was determined that I was the offender, but the neighbor who gave us a ride that day made me stand up in the back seat on the way home.
      June 14, 2021 8:28 PM MDT

:(

June 14, 2021 11:31 PM MDT

Smacking the teacher in the back of her head with a spit ball and putting a frog in her desk drawer. 
      June 14, 2021 8:31 PM MDT

"Carrot dress" (a girl who wore a white dress with a 2 inch carrot - orange with a green top - embroidered on the lower left).  

June 14, 2021 10:09 PM MDT

I have absolutely no recollection of my first day in kindergarten.  I do, however, recall that we moved in the middle of my year in first grade.  A boy named Alan sat behind me, my teacher's name was Mrs. Schulman, and we were cutting out Easter baskets and coloring them.  Mrs. Schulman had one leg that was shorter than the other and she wore one of those orthopedic shoes that had a thicker sole than the other.  
      June 15, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

At the entrance of the back door of the Gleason School where I stood, stood Michelle. I first ask what's your name, and, she said Michelle, and, then smile very wide coquettishly with her head aslants like, let's go dance. But, I blew the chance for romance perchance at an advance glance of France. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at June 18, 2021 8:36 AM MDT
      June 16, 2021 9:56 PM MDT