Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Answermug friend speaks of "the illusion of elapsing time". ILLUSION? Isn't aging evidence that elapsing time is no illusion?

An Answermug friend speaks of "the illusion of elapsing time". ILLUSION? Isn't aging evidence that elapsing time is no illusion?

Posted - June 15, 2021

Responses

What did your friend actually mean though?

I suspect he or she was referring to the way we see time - it often appears to us to drag or speed up whereas its rate ins constant but we are setting our own lives and memories against it.

The time interval, in days and years, between 1980 and 1990 was the same as that between 2010 and 2020, but we might individually think the second decade flew by much more rapidly than previous ones.

That's where the cited "illusion" may lie.
      June 15, 2021 3:54 PM MDT

Events happening create the illusion of elapsing time; if there were no events happening such as before the event of the big bang there would be no concept of time at all.
      June 15, 2021 4:52 PM MDT

:):):)
      June 16, 2021 2:29 AM MDT

It was Kittigate who told me that Durdle and as you can see Kittigate responded directly to thee. It is very true that as I am aging I perceive time to be SPEEDING by at an incredibly fast rate. I think it's because at 83 I know most of my life has been lived and what lies ahead is the rest of it and I am treasuring every moment of it.  Savoring it if you will. I live IN THE PRESENT so I don't miss an of it. So did you see where he is coming from in his reply to you? Thank you for your response Durdle! :)
      June 16, 2021 2:33 AM MDT

We are provided with 5 senses only in order to give us the awareness we need for basic survival. If nature provided us with an additional sense or  more what could that do for us? Suppose we were given a sensual awareness that time IS an illusion? In which case you could be born, celebrate all your birthdays and die at the same instant. I guess we would not want that!
      June 17, 2021 10:37 AM MDT

Are our brains equipped to process that Kg? Everything happening all at once? Don't we make things sequential because that's the only way we can grasp what is happening? We need a sense of before now and tomorrow. If everything were experienced always in the now I don't see how it could be processed at all. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      June 17, 2021 12:58 PM MDT