Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Is dental insurance worth buying?

Is dental insurance worth buying?

I had dental insurance when I was employed.  However, I don't have dental insurance since my retirement from employment.  I recently paid 2,600 dollars for my first root canal, and I am undecided if dental insurance is worth buying.

Posted - June 16, 2021

Responses

There are procedures that dental insurance won't cover, so before you do anything, you need to find out what is covered and what isn't.  I, too, had coverage when I was working full-time, but it didn't cover root canals, caps, implants, or any other expensive procedures.  
      June 16, 2021 8:35 AM MDT

I think it's worth it, I also had a root canal and because of insurance my deductible was only $500.
      June 16, 2021 10:13 AM MDT

Absolutely.  The least expensive insurance only covers regular checkups, cleanings, and xrays.  That's what I have.   However, in my Cigna plan, your dentist can agree to only charge you the allowable  for all other services.  The newest thing is the "Non-insurance dental plan."  This is not insurance but pays a portion of all of your dental procedures.  I've looked at the ones on Cigna's site and it seems good.  I may look closer later.  With the plan I have now I'm having $1500 of dental work done for $850.  That makes my $19/month plan absolutely worth it. 

Check out both Cigna and Aetna plans. 

Beware, as far as I know no insurance or dental assistance plans cover implants.  If you know otherwise, please  comment.
      June 16, 2021 11:55 AM MDT

Yes, but even our dentist thinks the insurance is a ripoff, especially for expensive procedures. I need an implant, but as long as it doesn't affect me eating, I probably won't get it.
      June 16, 2021 5:47 PM MDT