Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » California Nevada Arizona Montana Utah Colorado. EXTREME HIGH HEAT WARNINGS IN EFFECT. The heat's coming for YOU. What will you do then?

California Nevada Arizona Montana Utah Colorado. EXTREME HIGH HEAT WARNINGS IN EFFECT. The heat's coming for YOU. What will you do then?

Posted - June 16, 2021

Responses

Cook.  I don't have AC.  Ceiling fans only make the house hotter (although the cat demands I turn on the one over his chair).  
      June 16, 2021 2:12 PM MDT

Last summer, I saw Walmart had "swamp coolers".
    I thought ... that's great.  Some redneck finally figured they could make money out of the idea that's been around for decades, by selling it to people who are too lazy to DIY themselves.

LOL
      June 16, 2021 2:40 PM MDT

:):):)
      June 17, 2021 5:39 AM MDT

Not even a small unit in one room? 
      June 16, 2021 7:00 PM MDT

Nope
      June 16, 2021 10:16 PM MDT

:):):)
      June 17, 2021 5:39 AM MDT

Do you microwave Shuhak? I avoid using the oven absolutely and even avoid using the burners. Yesterday it got up to about 106. I made tuna salad, egg salad and potato salad. I only used the burners long enough to cook the eggs and I microwaved the potatoes. Here is how I do the egg.. I put them  in a pot, cover with water, bring the water to a boil and after ONE MINUTE I turn off the burner, put the lid on the wait 10 minutes. The eggs come out perfect every time. Do you try to avoid generating heat in your place? It was cooler yesterday here by a few degrees than the day before. Some small progress. We will take anything we can get! I know you will too! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      June 17, 2021 4:12 AM MDT

Yes, I microwave.  I try to avoid doing ANTYHING that puts off heat or humidity (no lights, no washing dishes, put any wet dirty laundry outside, and such).  I wash clothes early, then seal them in the dryer (no humidity in the house).  Before I go to bed I  run the dryer and dishwasher.  

I prepared for the heat so I wouldn't have to cook much.  I made a macaroni salad yesterday (should last 3-4 days0.  I cooked the eggs and macaroni the previous night so the heat could go out while the house was opened up.  I have fixings for tuna or chicken sandwiches (although I accidently bought the wrong kind of bread).  I can steam my garden squash in the microwave (3 minutes).  For dessert I froze grape juice into popsicles.

I hard boil eggs by putting the eggs in a pot (tightly to reduce breakage), cover with water, bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and let sit 20 minutes.  I save the water I use to cool of the eggs and put it on my outside plants - not only does that recycle the water, but the calcium that leaches off the eggs is good for to the soil.

It reached 95 here yesterday.  We'll set a record today, but only because the old record was low (94).  
      June 17, 2021 10:56 AM MDT

I shouldda known you had a SPLENDID plan m'dear that you follow meticulously! I SHOULDDA KNOWN! Ok then. Alright. We're "good to go". Up north you..down south moi. Now if we can just get nature to give us a break this year. What are the odds of that m'dear? Astronomically incalculable? Thank you for your informative reply Shuhak
      June 17, 2021 12:02 PM MDT

The break up here comes early next week.  Normal temperatures are forecast here by Tuesday (80's).  However, long range forecasts are hinting at yet another hot spell by the end of next week.  
      June 17, 2021 1:38 PM MDT

I'm glad you'll be getting a bit of a respite Shuhak. Our next week is predicted to be less hot too by about ten degrees. It's just that this early heat bodes ill. Our hottest times are July and August and some of September. You too right? Well glad for any break we can get however small or brief! Thank you for your reply :)
      June 17, 2021 1:46 PM MDT

Our hottest days are in July and early August.  Beyond that the heat isn't the same (due to less hours of sunlight).  100 in late August isn't near as hot as 100 in July.  I have no 100 degree temperatures recorded after september 7th. This post was edited by Shuhak at June 18, 2021 3:36 AM MDT
      June 17, 2021 2:21 PM MDT

That's good. Yesterday's high got to 107. It was supposed to be 104. We just got about 5 minutes of rain. No joke. I heard something weird and looked out...rain. But it's gone now. Proabably evaporated immediately. The skies have looked really weird though during the intense heat. STAY COOL! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      June 18, 2021 3:38 AM MDT

It rached 104.9 here yesterday, looking for 106 today.

Weird how?  Milky from smoke from the fires in Arizona (we have a bit of that up here... plus our own smoke)?  Tropical clouds (monsoon moisture)?
      June 18, 2021 11:49 AM MDT

Grey. The skies looked kinda grey all day Shuhak. Weird. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. Two days away from the beginning of "summer"! Ya couldda fooled me! :)
      June 19, 2021 2:15 AM MDT

Where I am in Missery,, aka Missouri, it is supposed to be in the triple digits.  I will drink plenty of water to keep myself hydrated.
      June 16, 2021 3:12 PM MDT

It has been sweltering especially after all the rain we have had.
      June 16, 2021 6:51 PM MDT

Huge condolences to you m'dear! I guess the entire country is in the grip of weather that is much TOO HOT! Hang in okay? Thank you for your reply O and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      June 17, 2021 4:13 AM MDT

Our exterior fan went out. The repair guy is supposed to be ordering one.  
    We have bought 2 small window units for now. One for the bedroom and one for the living room/kitchen areas. 
      June 16, 2021 6:59 PM MDT

Oh lordy m2c. That's unfortunate. I don't know what we'll do if our AC goes out for any length of time during a heat wave. Last year it didn't happen to us but it did bigly to Shuhak. Plus all the fires. I don't want another year like last year. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine. STAY COOL! :)
      June 17, 2021 4:15 AM MDT

I'll make more moonshine. 
      June 16, 2021 7:24 PM MDT

Swap you. We didn't have a summer over 2020-21. Usually we have a solid fortnight in triple digits in February, it didn't hit that except for 2 days in January and one in November.
      June 17, 2021 2:58 AM MDT

You ARE serious aren't you R? Boy if ever there were a way to SWAP would we ever do it in a SNAP! Do you have any idea why your weather was so atypical this year? Thank you for your kind indulgence of this particular WHAT IF. Will there ever be a day when homo saps will be able to dial whatever weather they want and get it? Outdoors?  Happy Thursday to thee and thine and thanks again. Very kind of you to offer! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 17, 2021 3:15 AM MDT
      June 17, 2021 3:14 AM MDT

La Niña over the South Pacific (pushes the clouds to the western side, so we get it and Chile and Peru don't) and the absence of an Indian Ocean dipole. Conversely, the previous summer coincided with the after effects of El Nino (neutral phase) and a STRONG dipole, so we had drought across the entire continent and catastrophic fires.
      June 18, 2021 9:14 PM MDT