Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are Russia and China in the honeymoon phase of courtship and once they "tie the knot" will that be the strongest alliance in the world?

Are Russia and China in the honeymoon phase of courtship and once they "tie the knot" will that be the strongest alliance in the world?

Posted - June 17, 2021

Responses

Thay are hardly ideologically matched but they are on much better terms than in the days of the USSR, when you'd think they would be natural allies.

It would be an extremely powerful and dangerous alliance, but I suspect a fragile one sown with the seeds of its own destruction because both want to be top dog.
      June 23, 2021 5:14 PM MDT

I don't see how Russia could be top dawg in any contest though Durdle. Do you? I mean CHINA is already there..ahead of the masses and going strong. The sheer number and discipline seems unbeatable. Russia is very good hacking/harming but China is very good at stealing co-opting. Which country is smartly run and which is a disaster? Of course I'm just an outside observer but does Russia steal intellectual property to further their domination or does Russia just go the gangsta route and harm politicaly? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      June 24, 2021 1:47 AM MDT

Oh, China is definitely far ahead of the Russian Federation; and by purely administrative standards probably a lot better managed; but together they occupy a vast part of the world's land, and they both have considerable natural resources.

If they were to form some sort of formal alliance, it would have to fit around the enormous financial disparity between them, as well as the huge ideological difference.

It might be based on such things as rail access for China to Russia's Black Sea (including the annexed Crimea) Baltic, Arctic and North Atlantic ports, which are significant militarily as well as economically); and sales of minerals, timber and agricultural produce from Russia to China.

There are already railways between the two, across Mongolia, and I think these are quite new. I don't what levekl of trade there is between them, but it must be enough to make building international railways in very remote areas feasible.
      June 24, 2021 5:13 PM MDT