Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Germany makes it illegal to kill chicken embryos after 7 days. But human abortion is still legal. Is a chicken more important than a human?

Germany makes it illegal to kill chicken embryos after 7 days. But human abortion is still legal. Is a chicken more important than a human?

Because the chicken can feel pain.
 https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/germany-ban-practice-killing-newly-hatched-male-chicks-75368116

Posted - June 18, 2021

Responses

Obviously, to Germans. 

June 18, 2021 2:53 PM MDT

You're describing a law intended to replace the current practice of shredding or gassing 10 million male chicks shortly after they're hatched in Germany each year.  Technology has been developed to determine the gender at day 6, and it appears that it will be required to dispose of potential male chicks by day 7 by 2024. The practice of shredding and gassing is also being outlawed in France. Switzerland has outlawed shredding, but gassing male chicks is still okay. 

I have asked a similar question to very pro-choice (for humans) vegan, who say they wouldn't eat an egg, even if it was laid by a chicken who was a beloved pet, because it could grow up to be a chicken. I guess if the chicken who laid the egg wanted to destroy or eat the egg, that would be fine. 
      June 18, 2021 6:19 PM MDT

I am not talking about hatched chicks at all.  This is chicken EMBRYOS....still in the egg. 
      June 18, 2021 8:06 PM MDT

Yes, you ARE talking about a law designed to have male chicks culled while still embryos rather than after they've hatched, which has been accepted practice. That is what the law is about. 

I don't know where you've found data stating that chicken embryos can feel pain past 7 days gestation, nor have I seen the law that states male eggs must be destroyed by day 7. In fact, most of what I've seen states that eggs can be sexed at day 9. (One said 3, one said 6, most said 9, as is stated here: SELEGGT process - Technologies - Seleggt.) My research also indicated it's expected that chick embryos are able to feel pain after day 14. 
    Policy for Use of Avian Embryos | Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (sfsu.edu)

I think law and science are two areas where standard facts matter, don't you? 

June 18, 2021 9:39 PM MDT

Germany stated it as their reason for banning the killing of the EMBRYO after 7 days. I am trusting they used science to make that decision.  

I simply find it disgusting that a chicken embryo has more protection than a human one. Human embryos feel pain by week 12 (possibly sooner...as they feel touch and react to Moms feelings earlier) yet abortion is obtainable in Germany after 12 weeks. (Must be a reason medical or socialogical) 

June 19, 2021 6:05 AM MDT

Sources for the following, please.

1 The German law in question that states embryos must be destroyed by day 7, if the egg isn't going to be incubated until it hatches. 

2. Chicken embryos feel pain after 7 days gestation.  

I understand what you are saying, and I also understand the ridiculousness of offering more protection from pain to pre-chickens than pre-humans. What I wish you could understand is that this law was passed to end the slaughter of tens of millions of hatched, fully formed and functional chicks simply because they're male and of no use to humans. 

And, if Germany requires a medical or societal reason for human abortion after 12 weeks, their laws offer more protection for fetuses than ours do. 

There have been times when I've seen an article on a left-leaning site or publication that's clearly intended to outrage me. Rather than immediately pass it around and spread false or deliberately misleading information, I dig in a little; do the research. Many times I find that it's not exactly as it seems, and my suspicion that I'd been either underinformed or even misinformed proves true. I do not enjoy being manipulated, even if the intention behind it isn't malicious and it confirms my own thoughts, beliefs, convictions. Has this ever occurred to you? 

June 19, 2021 9:15 AM MDT

I know part of the law is about hatched chicks...specially the roosters.  I agree with the law. 

But that is not the focus of my question.  My focus is this law gives more protection to a chicken embryo in Germany than German law does a human embryo.  (Yes their abortion laws are more restrictive than US abortion laws) but it is still possible to get an abortion in Germany after the 12 weeks...

I am not spreading fake news or false or misleading information.  These are facts... 
      June 19, 2021 6:56 PM MDT

Sources please. 

No. The science that enables sexing of eggs prior to full incubation and hatching was created with the specific purpose of ending the culling of day-old male chicks. That is a fact. 

Sources, please. 

Side note:  a 7 day chick embryo would equate to a 93 day human embryo. Do the math. Longer protection for human embryos. Mute point. 

Sources, please. 
      June 20, 2021 8:51 AM MDT

Methods are to be used with which the sex is already determined in the egg so that male chicks do not even hatch. From the year 2024, however, such methods should only be permitted if the sex of the chick is identified at a particularly early stage of the incubation. This should also avoid pain for the embryo in the future. https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/innenpolitik/bundestag-kuekentoetung-beschluss-101.html

The German Animal Welfare Association expressed joy at this suggestion, but criticized that this two-stage ban will not actually prohibit the killing of pain-sensitive chick embryos until 2024.

From 2024, the draft law will also require poultry famers to use methods that work at an earlier stage in the incubation process, preventing pain for the unhatched embryos.

June 20, 2021 1:28 PM MDT

I was unable to see where to translate the first link from German, and I don't read or speak it. It didn't appear to be the law in its entirity, though. 

It's unfortunate that any life is terminated because of its gender. It does happen in humans, I know. Terrible. 
      June 20, 2021 3:58 PM MDT

I posted the important part in English (using Google translate) above the link.

If you want a link to the actual law that would also be in German.  This post was edited by my2cents at June 20, 2021 4:12 PM MDT
      June 20, 2021 4:06 PM MDT

Yes.  You consume chicken.  Think how many people are going to starve without more chickens?
      June 18, 2021 10:23 PM MDT

This law does not reduce the amount of chickens produced for meat/eggs each year. 

The point is a chick embryo has more protection than a human embryo. 
      June 19, 2021 6:06 AM MDT

This law addresses the current practice of shredding or gassing male chicks one day after they hatch. Instead, the male eggs will be disposed of before they're formed or hatch. 
      June 20, 2021 4:01 PM MDT

But not after 7 days of incubation....because the chicken fetus maybe able to feel pain.
      June 20, 2021 4:20 PM MDT

Yes. If it actually happens this time. From all I read, it appears this was initially part of a 2016 initiative. Similar movement here, but not law, and also hasn't happened yet. 

Lessening animal suffering is a good thing. I get the point of view that if human embryos can feel pain as early as 8 or 9 weeks gestation and Germany allows abortion at will until 12 weeks, that's inequitable. As I said, I'm assuming that if the mother chicken decided to destroy the egg, that would be fine from the perspective of pro-choice vegans. Personally, I think abortion is incredibly destructive to women, based on knowing a number of women who have had abortions. Sure, there are women who claim that they don't regret it and use it as birth control. They should probably never be mothers. I don't know. The world is so overpopulated and so many children suffer tremendously their entire lives, and I don't think overturning Roe V Wade will ever happen, nor do I think it should. 

June 20, 2021 4:35 PM MDT

Overturning Roe v Wade would not outlaw abortion....it would simply return the laws tp the states. Some would likely make it illegal others would not.
      June 23, 2021 6:35 AM MDT

1) Can you please show me where I said it would? Thanks so much for clarifying something that has zero relevance to what my thoughtful and respectful reply was about. Everyone here LOVES it when you do that (If respectful sarcasm is a violation of the TOS, I'll consider myself warned). 

2) Are you truly incapable of seeing that just as much as the liberal left algorithms feeds the 'woke', your conservative, extremist right algorithms feed YOU?? 

I'm either having a deja vu moment or I have typed something very similar to #2 you before. I think it's deja vu... which means I'm wasting my time and doing nothing productive by attempting to interact with you in a thoughtful, respectful manner. I hope you find a better path, if your true intent is to draw people to Christ. The brand of Christianity your online persona here at AnswerMug projects (the extreme right political, no tolerance for anyone who believes differently from you) is precisely what has turned people of faith (like ME) away from it! 

Deja vu or not, I'm done. This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at June 24, 2021 11:48 PM MDT
      June 24, 2021 11:18 PM MDT

You brought up overturning RvW...not me.  So I do not get why you are upset about my clarifying that it would not automatically make abortion illegal throughout the country. Evidently, you already knew that...good for you. But not everyone does which is why I typed it. 

I am very tolerant. I attack no one here. I defend people even when I disagree with them on issues.  

I am not here to evangelize...most here are not interested in talking about religion. 

I make no apologies for being Christian or right wing. And I will continue to defend my views. (without attacking others) Part of why I do it is to show other conservatives that it can be done without returning the  personal attacks.
      June 25, 2021 6:37 AM MDT

I understand what you are asking here. And I say no, a chicken is not more important than a human. And, it's appalling to think that there are actually people who think that they are.
      June 19, 2021 6:08 PM MDT