Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » JUNETEENTH...June Nineteenth... June 19th. The newest FEDERAL HOLIDAY celebrates the end of slavery in America. HOW COME AND WHY?

JUNETEENTH...June Nineteenth... June 19th. The newest FEDERAL HOLIDAY celebrates the end of slavery in America. HOW COME AND WHY?

Did the Don Guano give his approval for his white supremacist domestic violent terrorist red state pols to vote for it? Elsewise otherwise how the he** did it pass so resoundingly bigly?

Do the white fascist supremacist confederate pro insurrectionists KNOW WHAT IT IS FOR?

Are they planning and plotting a gargantuan bigly bad something and just wanted to pacify and divert?

I dunno. As far as I'm concerned they NEVER do the right thing. So whassup wit dis ting that did it THIS TIME?

Stay tuned. Something STINKS.

Posted - June 18, 2021

Responses

Yes. President Trump said years ago that he thought it should be a federal holiday. 

Trump has nothing to do with white supremists. 
      June 18, 2021 6:19 AM MDT

The only problem I have with this date, is that it merely celebrates the emancipation of slaves in the south, and furthers the myth that the Emancipation Proclamation ended slavery.

The Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery.  It only ended it in areas of those states that had rebelled, which were under Union control.
    There were border states that remained loyal to the Union, where slavery was still legal.

After the war, there was debate about the legal status of the former slaves freed under the Emancipation Proclamation, due to it being a military action (rather than legislative), and slavery remained legal until the 13th Amendment was ratified in December of 1865.

June 18, 2021 7:23 AM MDT

What day/date would you prefer Walt? Fact is many  descendants of slaves have celebrated juneteenth clandestinely. President Biden made it official. Any date will do. People whose ancestors LIVED IT did choose. I have no problem with that. Sometimes knowing too much gets in the way of a celebration. Sometimes not knowing everything helps to appreciate some things. I appreciate your informative reply m'dear. You know I always do. In this case I'm fine with JUNETEENTH. I think you might be able to see your way clear to be fine with it too! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 18, 2021 7:48 AM MDT
      June 18, 2021 7:48 AM MDT

The celebration started in Texas, based on when those slaves learned of their freedom.
    So the date makes sense for a Texan holiday.

But people were still enslaved in non-rebellious states.
    So it's kind of a slap in the face to celebrate the end of slavery on a date where those people were still enslaved.

But for a national holiday celebrating the end of slavery, it should be December ... I believe the 18th ... based on the ratification of the 13th Amendment.

And though I'm not black, I did have ancestors enslaved in America ... through both my small percentage of indigenous DNA, and white slavery.  (The only reason I have a trace of indigenous genetics, is due to a "slave wife" of a distant ancestor.)

June 18, 2021 8:07 AM MDT

Are you SURE it's a slap in the face for them m'dear? Or are you just assuming that is how YOU would feel? I think the date is irrelevant frankly. It is the PURPOSE that matters and that PURPOSE fits all of them everywhere equally. I'm not trying to be difficult. I see that specific dates of things matter a great deal to you. They don't to me. At all. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply.
      June 18, 2021 8:54 AM MDT

Thinking on it further ... I think the date should be in February.
    Why?  Because it has been claimed as "Black History Month" ... and children are still in school, so the reason for the holiday can be incorporated in the school "Black History" curriculum.

June 18, 2021 9:57 AM MDT

That would totally work for me Walt. Whatever works for the people involved who suffered through it or whose ancestors suffered through it and not only SURVIVED but THRIVED! Thank you for rethinking it and noticing that there was wiggle room for you to stretch a bit. Doesn't that feel better? I'm gonna ask! :)
      June 18, 2021 10:01 AM MDT