Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Mitigation efforts that have worked before ARE NOT WORKING with the new Delta variant virus". Are you unmasked/unvaccined STILL?

"Mitigation efforts that have worked before ARE NOT WORKING with the new Delta variant virus". Are you unmasked/unvaccined STILL?

"The worst variant yet'. The Delta variant.

We've opened up everything everywhere even so.

WHY?

Posted - June 18, 2021

Responses

I still wear a mask and I will be getting my second shot on Tuesday but I think I am still going to wear a mask and keep away from other people because this new strain scares me. Cheers and happy weekend!
      June 18, 2021 9:59 AM MDT

((hugs)) That's my thumbs up ATTA BOY m'dear. That new DEADLIER strain of COVID is nothing to fool around with. Some will of course and pay a price. We got our J&J April 8 so by April 22 we were GOOD TO GO. We have never stopped wearing our masks and we won't. We don't KNOW how many dumbsh** dipsticks there are out there. Too bad they aren't tattooed or something! Thank you for your reply. Your spouse and kids and grandkids too? All vaccinated? Is that new SCARY strain in your country yet? We're wide open everywhere. Totally absurdly ridiculously dumb. I think it is a neverending thing Nanoose. I don't see the end of it in my lifetime. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not gonna lie to you! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 18, 2021 10:11 AM MDT
      June 18, 2021 10:08 AM MDT

Today I heard that Canada is going to extend the border closer until the end  of July and no one is getting in unless they can prove that they had 2 shots so I was glad to hear that. A couple of days ago Trump was saying that Canada is very mean to the US I  bet us not opening the border has something  to do with it. As of next  week every one in my familly will be fully vacinated. Cheers and happy weekend!
      June 18, 2021 6:27 PM MDT

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Apologies m'dear but Don Guano says Canada is very mean? That is a hoot isn't it? He is the queen of mean and he is calling our good friends in Canada mean? Don't you just love it? How totally clueless and dumb he is? Until he dies he will always be something to laugh it and mock and ridicule because he will never "get" any better. That's as good as he gets. I'm glad to hear your entire family will be fully vaccinated. Have you heard about that NEWEST strain of COVID? Deadlier, spreads faster? It has reached the US and there are some pockets of it among some who weren't vaccinated. I hope it isn't in your country. That would be very mean wouldn't? Sorry. I just laughed again. Happy Saturday to you and your family Nanoose! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 19, 2021 1:22 AM MDT
      June 19, 2021 1:21 AM MDT

We also should close the southern border as well....
    Yes through this whole thing Dems in DC want open boarders. And they are not testing the illegals.
      June 22, 2021 8:37 AM MDT

From what I have read, it is associated with greater risk of hospitalisation, but I don't think this applies equally to all age and vulnerability groups.

Here in the UK, the Delta variant is now responsible for the majority of new cases, but it's been reported that most new cases admitted to hospital are in people who are old enough to have been given the vaccine but have rejected it. So if you live in a country that has a very high proportion of older and vulnerable people already double-jabbed, or vaccinated with a single shot of Moderna, you probably don't have a lot to worry about. I would be far more worried if the Brazil variant had taken hold. 

However, our government has taken a cautious approach in keeping mask mandates and social distancing in place for another month, which isn't going to be popular but I think is a small sacrifice that will allow us time to get a few more millions vaccinated.
      June 18, 2021 2:59 PM MDT

Thank you for your very helpful and informative reply Rev. So the Brazil variant is WORSE? I must have misunderstand what I read then. I thought "they" said this newest variant is the scariest by far so far. Oh well. "If it's not one thing it's another". Gilda Radner, an American comedienne said that long ago. Are you familiar with who she was? She died from cancer and that's what she said when it returned after she thought she'd beaten it. I think mask mandates and social distancing is gonna be our MO forever. I just don't trust anyone out there to do the right thing. I wouldn't mind so much of the antivax folks were off on an island far away from everyone. But they mingle here with those of us who are sane and they are not identifiable until they open their mouths and spout gibberish and by then it's probably too late. No one knows for sure how long the "protection" will last. Will we need booster shots forever? What's the next thing coming at us? Who knows? Happy Saturday to thee and thine Rev. STAY SAFE! :)
      June 19, 2021 1:30 AM MDT

The Brazil variant is especially deadly to young children, babies and pregnant women, and is driving the surge in Brazil and some neighbouring countries. We managed to keep it suppressed, but in the case of Delta we weren't so lucky, partly because of our links with India, and partly because our Government foolishly waited until it was officially a "variant of concern" and not just a"variant under investigation" before acting. This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at June 20, 2021 1:56 AM MDT
      June 20, 2021 12:30 AM MDT

See Rev this is precisely what scares me! The "powers that be" "waited until it was officially of concern and not just under investigation." Sadly that is true in other countries too and I just don't get it. You'd think because we don't know what we don't know until it hits and does its' damaging you'd think they jump on it IMMEDIATELY just in case. But no. So in every country the people must wait for the "heads" to stop watching and waiting and start doing. If that's human nature we're doomed! I believe the newest "Delta" variant is also similarly worse for young people. I wonder if there is a limit to mutations from one thing or is it infinite? Thank you for your reply and Happy  Sunday to you and yours m'dear! :)
      June 20, 2021 2:02 AM MDT

Can't get it. The Morrison government screwed up the roll-out royally. Failed to secure supply, and also fails to accept responsibility for the balls-up.
    Scummo and Trump have that in common. When most people make a mistake, they apologise and try to find a solution. Those two look for somebody else to blame. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 19, 2021 10:54 PM MDT
      June 18, 2021 11:53 PM MDT

Can't get what R? The newest variant? So your jacka** and our former jacka** are birds of a feather then? Condolences and how awful. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Bad eyesight. Too old. I guess. If one thing seems contained it's temporary and 27 crop up thereafter. Doom and gloom? I dunno. It's just the world is cracking up on so many levels. Perhaps there were hairlines cracks for decades. I don't know. I didn't notice. Now every day I check the news to learn what new stupid tragedy is being thrust upon us and how the incompetents are  not only doing nothing they are telling us it never happened! Thank you for your reply R! :)
      June 19, 2021 1:34 AM MDT

Can't get the shot. Heck, my daughter can't and she works in disability care, ergo Priority 1.
      June 19, 2021 2:29 AM MDT

SAY WHAT? You "CAN'T GET THE SHOT"? Nor can your daughter who works in the field of health care? OMG(osh) R! THAT IS DEPLORABLE! EVER? NEVER? Not even a TIMELINE? OMG! I honestly couldn't believe THAT is what you meant but THAT IS WHAT YOU MEAN?  I dare not reveal what I really think because I would get banned for life. So what are you going to do? Mask and social distance for life? Your daughter can't because she is WORKING a job that helps people. Australia is NOT a third world country but even some of them have access to the shots. OMG. Thank you for your reply m'dear and I'm sending tons of "good thought" protections to you and your loved ones. You can't see me but I'm shaking my head! :( This post was edited by RosieG at June 19, 2021 2:53 AM MDT
      June 19, 2021 2:52 AM MDT

We'll get it "eventually". We're so far down the waiting list that it will fe a year at least.
      June 20, 2021 1:06 AM MDT

ONE YEAR? 12 months? 365 days? MINIMUM? This is another one of those things beyond my grasp R. Remember Cher? She is running MOBILE vaccination vans here in the states and going into underprivileged areas to get people vaccinated. We are giving  a bazillion vaccines to some countries. Some vaccines are not being used fast enough before their expiration dates  and so they've been dumped HERE. And you are going to have to wait at least a YEAR? Either I'm getting very feeble mindwise or something is very wrong. Thank you for your reply and Happy American Father's Day to you m'dear! Sigh. :(
      June 20, 2021 1:48 AM MDT

I’m unmasked and fully vaccinated.  My hometown’s mask mandate was lifted two weeks after I got my second shot, so that was perfect timing for me.
      June 19, 2021 11:21 AM MDT

Are you at all concerned about that new deadlier version sweeping the world Liv? It's in the US and I believe it now the major mutation and very worrisome? I'm glad you're protected and I trust your family is as well. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      June 20, 2021 1:50 AM MDT

Since my husband and I are fully vaccinated, I’m not worried about it.  The only person I’m around who’s a COVID vaccine refuser is my mom, but since my husband and I are both fully vaccinated, I’m not worried that we’ll get it.  Mom seems to be built like a rock.  She ignored all of the COVID-19 recommendations and she never got COVID-19, but then again, she also drinks diet soda all of the time and somehow she hasn’t had pancreatic cancer yet either.
      June 20, 2021 7:31 PM MDT

Built like a rock and also incredibly LUCKY Liv. Some folks are like that. They can smoke their entire lives. Eat rotgut junkfood. Never exercise. Live to a ripe old age and then move on to whatever comes next if there is a next. I'm glad you and your husband are protected. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Monday First Day of Summer in the USA! :)
      June 21, 2021 1:31 AM MDT

I have to change my answer now.  My mom changed her mind and will get her first shot tomorrow morning.  Wow, she changed her mind about it.  This feels weird.
      June 21, 2021 9:07 PM MDT

Oh my gosh Liv that is awesome great news m'dear. I wonder if she might have heard about the deadlier Delta version now becoming the top variant in the US? Whatever it was thank goodness. And as for weird, stuff is happening that's way weird. I just asked a question about a way weird . Got a notice from our electric company that my application for discount on rates was approved and each month I would see the discount. Thing is I DID NOT EVER FILL OUT ANYTHING! Did anything like that ever happen to you? Thank you for your answer change. It is a very welcome and nifty reason. Happy Tuesday to you and yours! :)
      June 22, 2021 1:45 AM MDT

She actually went to the grocery store’s pharmacy this morning and got her first shot.  She also has an appointment for her second shot in four weeks.

Anyway, Martina and her brother will be spending a couple of weeks at my house.  The fact that people from another country are willing to spend $5300 (USD) on plane tickets to come here to get COVID shots kind of shamed her into getting it done.  She said she thought that made her attitude about it look bad.

There was also other family pressure involved, but not by me.  The family reunion for her mom’s side of the family in Wisconsin is coming up next month, so we’ll go to that and we’ll take Martina and her brother, Miguel, along since that’s their side of the family also.  The part of the family in Wisconsin has quite a different attitude about COVID than mom has had.  They‘re having the family reunion this year, but they’ve also said that anyone who refuses to get vaccinated isn’t welcome.  That’s pretty harsh, I know, but my great aunts and great uncles are all in their 80s and 90s with some of them pushing 100, so they take it pretty seriously.  They didn’t have a family reunion last year for obvious reasons.  Now mom will be able to attend the family reunion.

That leaves Uncle Bob from Colorado as the sole hold-out.  His wife, my Aunt Kathy, broke ranks and got her first shot a couple weeks ago.  Uncle Bob was furious about that.

A lot of people who are COVID vaccine hold-outs can be persuaded to get it, but there are also people for whom being anti-COVID vaccine is a cause, and they’re committed to their cause.  Believe it or not, there’s a lot of peer pressure in some of those circles.  My mom won’t admit to getting vaccinated to anyone at her church because she says they would see that as a betrayal and she’d be ostracized from her group, which is weird, I know. This post was edited by Livvie at June 22, 2021 1:20 PM MDT
      June 22, 2021 10:48 AM MDT

Lordy lordy sweetie. You have so much to deal with in your family. Well stay strong, take your vitamins, eat right, exercise and get enough sleep before it all hits. It's nice that Martina will be staying with you. Families have a way of spreading all over the globe and if/when there is a chance to touch base GRAB IT and treasure it! Being ASHAMED of admitting you have had vaccines that quite possibly could save your life seems queerly peculiar to me. What is this world we live in that it would be so? Thank you for sharing what's going on in your life so freely Liv. It's very kind of you to do so and I very much apprecate that you do all the time! Just so's you know! :) ((hugs))
      June 22, 2021 1:24 PM MDT

• I must still wear a mask in public.  I haven't had my vaccine yet.  The age is 45 and older where I live, and the age is 60 and older where my parents live.  My father is old enough to get the vaccine but my mother isn't.  My father has had his first shot, but not his second.  There are long wait times for those who are eligible to get COVID vaccinations.
      June 19, 2021 10:50 PM MDT