Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Maybe those who pooh pooh CLIMATE CHANGE will pay attention when they learn it will have a huge impact on what they eat/drink. YA THINK?

Maybe those who pooh pooh CLIMATE CHANGE will pay attention when they learn it will have a huge impact on what they eat/drink. YA THINK?

By 2081-2100 about 1/3 of the global food crop and 1/3 third of livestock will be unavailable any longer and certain places in the world will be incapable of producing food for the people who live there.

The cost will become exorbitant.

Some of the things in great jeopardy?

Wine
Beer
Coffee
Chocolate
Almonds
Pet Food
Meat
Wheat
Corn

The most vulnerable areas? The South and Southeast Asia. Africa's Sudano-Sahelian Zone
Also all the rest of the land in the world. No area will be exempt from it.

Entirely due to the buildup of greenhouse gases.

Think they'll pay attention when they learn IT WILL HIT THEIR BELLIES BIGLY?

Posted - June 19, 2021

Responses

Yes the climate changes.  We need to adapt.  We know we are at the end of this ICE AGE and starting to enter a Greenhouse age. This will happen we did not cause it and we will not prevent it. We know it is coming and we need to adapt to it. 
      June 19, 2021 6:44 AM MDT

Some areas may well become uninhabitable, not just incapable of producing crops or supporting livestock.

These are mainly parts of Africa but another area in danger is along the flanks of the Himalayas as the glaciers and ice-fields on the mountains recede; reducing the amount of water feeding rivers like the Ganges.

We are, as My2cents points out, in the warm period of an Ice Age (a set of climate oscillations), or perhaps at the end of the present Ice Age entirely - only time will tell - but their changes are very, very slow in human terms. What everyone has become alerted to and alarmed by, is that our activities are increasing the mean rate of change when if anything that (ignoring short-term fluctuations) might otherwise be slowing slightly towards a lengthy, fairly stable phase.

Whether we will be able realistically to put that right remains to be seen, and it's hampered not just by politics but also by the cold fact that so far at least not even Miss Tornberg has really been able to answer convincingly a lot of very serious, awkward, long-term questions it all raises about what do about it.

If the present change is entirely natural we might expect significant se-level rises over some thousands of years, not a century or so; but I think the seas in the last warm period were about 10 metres higher than we know them. That would probably have taken a few thousand years to take place: we are looking at perhaps not that height but potentially still a significant rise over a mere Century.

By "significant" I mean in human terms. It won't bother Nature too much, as that will adapt in its own ways; but even only a metre rise would be extremely serious for many areas around the world.
    If the Ice Age itself is ending then just be glad none of us will be around to see it. There is not enough water on the planet to cover all the land, like the silly map animation at the start of the fim Waterworld, but it would certainly rise well above 10m.
      June 23, 2021 4:59 PM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful, informative and also scary doomy gloomy future that seems to be inevitable. We've known about global warming/climate change for many decades and yet here we are barreling for its consequences. Not enough people did enough or cared enough apparently to make it a top priority. Some still think it's silly. They're consumed with seeking wealth and power. SIGH. Happy Thursday to thee and thine Durdle! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 24, 2021 2:02 AM MDT
      June 24, 2021 2:01 AM MDT

Some meteorologists were warning of man-made climate change way back in the 1900s!

They based it on the world's consumption of coal, which was the predominent fuel then, but could not have foreseen how much coal, petroleum-fuels and natural-gas would be burnt by the end of the 20C, so their predictions of significant change were for a time still quite a long way into the future even now.   
      June 24, 2021 4:59 PM MDT

It seems to me that cataclysmic events are upon us Durdle. In Oregon it is predicted to get up to 108 in a few days. The highest ever recorded there was 103. And we are just barely into our summer. Everything seems to be heating up. The oceans the land. Is there a limit to it or do we know? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 26, 2021 6:40 AM MDT
      June 25, 2021 4:15 AM MDT

The limits can be estimated, using models based partly on analysing geological evidence of previous phases of the Ice Age so far, to understand how these things work when left entirely to Nature, and how they could work if influenced by human activity. It is a frightening prospect.

Overall warming has two ways to raise the sea-level. One is that of thawing the ice still on the land so adding all that extra water - melting the sea-ice alone does not affect the level. The other is that as water heats up it expands, so its surface rises.

What really counts is not individual weather patterns or events, or even fluctuations over a few years, but overall trends, cycles and rates of change over decades and centuries. The calculations do use weather records from way back in the 19C or even late 18C, when formal measurements became possible. There is also some evidence from earlier times, but it is qualitative rather than quantitative. Even so these do show relatively short-term fluctuations, so the scientists have to account for such variability.
      June 25, 2021 4:44 PM MDT

Are we doomed? Don't we know what to do  and don't do it just as we know what not to do but we do it anyway? If we know better but refuse to do better ARE WE DOOMED? Too bad we can't force-feed common sense to everyone. Maybe at birth dunk the infant in a bath of common sense? It doesn't take a genius to have common sense. It does take cooperation and a desire for it of course. How do we get homo saps to WANT to be reasonable, cooperate and help to change/control our fate? Any  ideas? Thank you for your informative reply Durdle! :)
      June 26, 2021 6:45 AM MDT

Soory, I'm afraid I have no more ideas than anyone else, because humanity en-masse seems to find it easier not to co-operate. The problem is that everyone wants at least as much as everyone else if not more.
      June 26, 2021 4:16 PM MDT

I'm going to have to disagree with part of your reply m'dear. My needs/wants are sparse compared to those I see always complaining about what they don't have. I've always been a donut person..not a donut hole person. I have always been appreciative and grateful for what I have..always. I don't begrudge anyone anything if gotten fairly honorably and honestly. I want at least as much as any one to be let alone to be me. I don't want power over anyone. I don't want massive wealth. I certainly don't want fame or glory or to stand out and be noticed. I expect there are a lot of folks like me who are content with what they have. That is the secret to being happy I read once upon a time. Being content with what you have and not focusing on what you don't. I have a feeling you are rather a bit like that too. You don't strike me as being greedy grasping wanting. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      June 28, 2021 6:25 AM MDT