Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Have you experienced flight cancellations? American Airlines specifically?

Have you experienced flight cancellations? American Airlines specifically?

Due to staff shortages and maintenance issues here's what's happening at American

Saturday 123 flights were cancelled
Sunday 178 flights were cancelled
Monday 97 flights have been cancelled

Through June 50-60 per day is the estimate
Through July 50-80 per day

I don't know about other airlines but WHAT IF they all operate that way? Will it impact you at all?

Posted - June 21, 2021

Responses

You couldn't prove that to me after listening to all the planes flying over my building.  Sounds like they're flying through my living room!
      June 21, 2021 8:02 AM MDT

I once lived under the flight path of planes taking off and landing near LAX in when living in Playa del Rey. A beach community. For whatever reason planes would come from LAX and fly over the water, then turn around and go back over the space heading for wherever. Then I lived in Westchester and heard the planes taking off and landing and could see them in the near distance. You get used to it. Some buildings had double pane windows and that helped hugely to keep things quieter inside. Thank you for your reply L. I think it would be harder to live by a commuter train rumbling by if you lived close enough to feel/hear the vibrations. I haven't done that but I have seen it depicted in movies. How you get used to THAT I don't know. :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 22, 2021 10:10 AM MDT
      June 22, 2021 6:50 AM MDT

The way our development is configured, when those planes fly over us, it creates an echo effect so the sound bounces off the buildings.  The planes come in at 30 second int4rvals at times - no sooner does one plane leave our airspace than another one enters.  When the weather is nice, I prefer to keep my windows open, but sometimes, I have to close them because of the noise which is not only from planes, but from the buses on our street, the kids in the "Y" screaming and carrying on in the play area which is directly opposite my bedroom window, the car horns, the double parked cars and trucks making deliveries, not to mention the increase in motorcycles traversing our street at all hours of the day and night.  I lived near an elevated train at one time and you get used to the sound.  At some point train service stops, but the planes come in at all hours.
      June 22, 2021 10:14 AM MDT

So the cacophony as depicted in movies about New York City is not exaggerated? It is what it is? What would double pane windows cost to install? I know you're getting toward the end of living there but still it could help you sell your place for more. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 22, 2021 1:18 PM MDT

LOL ... I have double-paned windows.   I don't recall it being this noisy a year ago.  
      June 22, 2021 1:49 PM MDT

You DO? Wow. Well there's not much more you can do then. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 22, 2021 1:52 PM MDT

No, I'm out of solutions.  When I go back to work after Labor Day, at least I won't have to listen to the kids all day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.  I leave for work before they come and get home after they leave.  
      June 22, 2021 1:57 PM MDT

Here's to that day then m'dear! Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 28, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

My children do not want me to fly right now due to Covid. 
      June 21, 2021 8:13 AM MDT

And you are honoring them by not? Good for you BB! Good for you m'dear! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      June 21, 2021 10:06 AM MDT

Yes I am.  
      June 21, 2021 10:12 AM MDT

Flying under the best of circumstances has never been my cuppa tea. My max ever? 5 hours in the air. To Honolulu from LAX or to New York from LAX. Being trapped anywhere for five hours is not my favorite thing. For that reason I will never take a cruise anywhere. Wherever I go I am near or next to the EXIT. When you're in the air to borrow from Jean Paul Sarte....NO EXIT. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      June 22, 2021 6:36 AM MDT

Nope ... I never fly.
    If I went on a long enough trip, I'd prefer to drive or take the train ... and enjoy the scenery.
      June 21, 2021 2:46 PM MDT

Last time for us? May 2010. Flew to Honolulu for our son's wedding. Over and done. No more in the air for any reasonvreason to go anywhere. Main reason? We have no one here to run interference for us and deal with simply getting to the airport, getting through the obstacles, getting to the plane, getting on and finding all overhead storage is already filled by the selfish who got their first. Then landing and deplaning and getting to. While there it's fine but then going back home you have to redo all the crap you had to do to get there.  I'm exhausted simply writing this. Thank you for your reply Walt! :) Our son's best friend ran the interference for us in 2010 when he lived in California. He lives in Arizona now. Things change. This post was edited by RosieG at June 22, 2021 6:40 AM MDT
      June 22, 2021 6:39 AM MDT