Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Treat others as you would like others to treat you. Simple. Why is it so difficult for so many millions of homo saps to comprehend/GRASP?

Treat others as you would like others to treat you. Simple. Why is it so difficult for so many millions of homo saps to comprehend/GRASP?

Posted - June 29, 2021

Responses

Because the human motto is "always look out for #1". 

We are self centered.  "I" always come first.  After that is "me", followed closely by "myself".  After that MAYBE someone I like (but that's pushing it).  We are also greedy.  We only treat others "good" if we can somehow stand to gain from it.   You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
    Some have tried treating others like they'd like to be treated, only to have others step on them or use them.  So, many of those developed a new motto - do it unto others before they can do it unto me.

People with wisdom realize that when they treat others as they'd want to be treated - even if others don't reciprocate - they come out on top in the long run.  Maybe not monetarily, but in how they feel about themselves.
      June 29, 2021 12:27 PM MDT

People used to be kinder, more helpful, more caring. I'm sure of  it Shuhak. I can't have imagined it. It really was better in some instances way back when. Was there a specific turning point that changed everything? There must have been but I just didn't notice it. I mean even when you were younger wasn't life diffrent? Better? Weren't neighbors more neighborly and strangers less belligerent hostile defiant mean? Did I just dream all of it? It's oddly weird what this world is today from what it was. Decidedly becoming less and less. Downward slope. No more reaching for the skies. No more stretching to extend our limits. Something stinks but I can't figure out when/why it happened. It's like that line in On the Waterfront. "I couldda been a contender. I couldda been somebody instead of a bum which is what I am." I don't think that is verbatim but it's what Marlon Brando said when he discovered the part he played in something very bad. Thank you for your reply Shuhak!  We couldda been contenders. Sad.
      July 1, 2021 3:54 AM MDT

This town was a bit like "Mayberry" when I was young.  Today - "With a crime rate of 43 per one thousand residents, this town has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 23."

Bleeding hearts wanted a home for the homeless here.  So they made one and put it next to one of our main shopping areas.  Crime there exploded.  I worked in that area all for 30 years.  I usd to sit in my truck in the parking lot and eat my lunch - be it 5 am or 2 pm - year round.  When the homeless shelter went in, the once quiet parking lot was filled with "vagrants" 24/7.  Cars were vandalized 24/7.  The woods were filled with holmes camps (the shelter had a limit - soit was first come first served).  Starting at 6am, the store bathrooms were filled with vagrants bathing, writing on the walls with feces, and "other things".   Then they'd hang out on the store's patio the rest of the day or beg in front of the doors.  Theft went through the roof.  They'd walk in the back door and swipe food or rob the delivery trucks (vendors had to start locking their trucks when they were delivering).  On their way in or out, these bums would just take stuff off the shelves.  It wasn't worth the stores time or money to prosecute.  Even if they did, the police would just let the bums go and they be right back at the store.  Some mornings we'd find piles of used and unused drug and/or sex paraphernalia outside the back door.  

How did things deteriorate in this country so much?  Simple - we let it.  Why, we even took pride in letting it happen  It stats "small" but quickly spirals downward.  We taught our children that they are more important than anyone else (the beginning of hate).  We taught then the fallacy of everyone wins no matter what.  Since this isn't reality, whe they do lose they take it out on others (shootings, vandalizing, etc.).  Our courts no longer dispense justice, but decree whatever the highest bidder tells them to.  The wealthy are judged differently that the poor for the same offence.  We allow criminals to stay on the streets via "technicalities" (get a good lawyer).  We pass laws so people can be "legally" dissipated.  We proudly allow worthless leaders to ruin the country and believe their obvious lies.  We tell ourselves that their lies aren't lies so we can justify our believing them.  After a time we can no longer tell fact from fiction.  We say we're free, but we've allowed corporations to rule us so long that we can't see that they've enslaved us.  We devalue human life.  Women aren't people but sex objects, to be used, abused and cast aside.  Unborn children are a inconvenience to be eliminated.  Personal satisfaction is to be achieved above all else and at all costs.     
      July 1, 2021 12:44 PM MDT

What you describe as having lived with would make for a HORROR movie Shuhak. I don't have to tell you that. I cannot convey to you how very sad it makes me. I live on MAYBERRY. That is why we came out to look at this house for rent. I loved the Andy Griffith Show then and escape to it now from time to time. There is no safe place anywhere. Values no longer exist. "Take what you can get and then go back and take some more." I expect it will get worse. I don't know if it will ever get better. Thank you for spending the time to reflect on what used to be versus what is. We need a miracle. Short of that I don't know what we can do to make it better. The perps don't care. We can't make people care. We can just try to survive and hope for the best. Right? :)_
      July 1, 2021 1:10 PM MDT

I know just imagine a world where people do not attack people over political beliefs or support of a particular politician. This post was edited by my2cents at July 1, 2021 6:49 AM MDT
      July 1, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

This reply from a Don Guano adoring worshipper. That you dare write it must mean you really believe it. I cannot refute your belief. You are solidly entrenched in it. Nothing will persuade you or dissuade that your view is ANTI Democracy..Anti logic...Anti truth...Anti justice. And so it goes. You are what you are m2c. I am what I am. Never the twain shall meet and greet when the issue at hand is politics. NEVER. I find don guano to be VILE VICIOUS EVIL. You think he is quite the opposite. How do we reconcile such disparate views? We don't. We can't. C'est impossible. Thank you for your reply.
      July 1, 2021 1:17 PM MDT

I did not mention Trump.  I talked about how people should treat each other.   I do not attack people for supporting Biden or any other Dem.  
    I am following Jesus' Golden rule...you quoted in your question. 

And yes it would be nice if all people did. This post was edited by my2cents at July 1, 2021 7:56 PM MDT
      July 1, 2021 7:56 PM MDT

They too busy looking at or texting on their phone screen to care.
      July 1, 2021 2:17 PM MDT