Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Education » Do you know anybody who had little or no formal education?

Do you know anybody who had little or no formal education?

My grandmothers were born during the 1880's into a society that view the education of girls to be a waste of time and money.  My great-grandparents believe  that their daughters only had to know how to run a household for their husbands.  As such, one of my grandmothers did not have any formal education, while another grandmother went to school for a few years.  

Posted - July 1, 2021

Responses

My gal friend has only grade 8 education and I have grade 10.
      July 1, 2021 10:23 AM MDT

My dad only made it to 8th grade, as he had to drop out to take care of his brothers and sisters.
      July 1, 2021 12:49 PM MDT

Mom's side

1. Grandfather - Dead
    2. Grandmother - Dead
    3. Mom - Alive
    4. Dad - Alive
    5. Aunts - Two dead

I don't know my fathers side of the family that well.
    This post was edited by Zack at July 1, 2021 4:05 PM MDT
      July 1, 2021 12:52 PM MDT

Most of the Republicana that live around where I am. This post was edited by ONeg-84 at July 1, 2021 4:05 PM MDT
      July 1, 2021 1:58 PM MDT

I think only one of my siblings ever graduated HS.
      July 1, 2021 3:52 PM MDT

Through life I've known many.  One of the executive vice presidents of the corporation from which I retired had an eighth-grade education.  Most people I know finished high school. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 8, 2021 5:39 PM MDT
      July 2, 2021 11:08 PM MDT

I can think of only one, a contemporary, in fact class-mate, of mine.

At some point in our Fifth Form (mid-1960s, long before this "Year-number" rhubarb they use now) we had to choose which if any subjects to drop to allow us to concentrate more on the rest for the national, end-of-Year GCE O-Level Examinations.

I dropped two, out of I think nine, subjects.

This particular boy though, dropped all of them as far as I could make out! I have no idea why, nor what became of him after he left school at the end of the Year (aged 15-16); but he would have struggled to find decent work.

+++

To the best of my knowledge all of my relatives and friends, certainly all my contemporaries, had at least a moderate education. That so for even the eldest females,  my grandmas and aunts, who would have been at school in the early 20C but taught sufficient to live by.

August 8, 2021 5:32 PM MDT