Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Those who have one, do you mow your own lawn?

Those who have one, do you mow your own lawn?

Posted - July 5, 2021

Responses

Yes

Discoholic Lawnmower GIF - Discoholic Lawnmower Mowing GIFs
      July 5, 2021 7:32 PM MDT

Yes, just bought a new lawn mower last month.
      July 5, 2021 8:14 PM MDT

Me, too.
      July 6, 2021 10:50 AM MDT

Yes, even own the lot next to us on the left. 
      July 5, 2021 8:40 PM MDT

Well, of course.  It doesn't mow itself (unfortunately).

Or should I say I used to mow it.  I'm not allowed to water it anymore, so only the parts above the leach field are still growing.
      July 5, 2021 10:31 PM MDT

Only in the back yard. We have a homeowners’ association* here, and our monthly dues pay for a landscaping service which takes care of all common areas. Front yards are considered common areas, so the gardeners do the lawn mowing.

*Never in my life will I ever succumb to being a part of such a regime. This is my first and last experience with homeowners’ associations, and had I known what I know now, I would not have moved in here.

~

July 6, 2021 4:16 AM MDT

Any problems with racism or inter-racial marriage?
      July 6, 2021 10:52 AM MDT

How did we make the leap on the thread from mowing the lawn and homeowners’ association to racism and interracial marriage?

July 6, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

Homeowners association sucks was the key.
      July 6, 2021 3:58 PM MDT

No, none of the things you stated, more along the lines of paying ever-increasing fees for substandard services that seem to get worse the more one pays, and the long list of restrictions as to what you are allowed to do with/on your own property. Abandoned cars, graffiti, vandalism run rampant just as if this were some ghetto, yet we received a nasty-gram from the association that someone on their “nosey-neighbor” crew reported that my wife’s flower bed in front of the house wasn’t aesthetically cohesive to the surrounding houses, so she had to remove it or rep it or be fined monthly if it remained. That’s just one example of dozens over the 19 years we’ve lived here.
    ~

July 7, 2021 8:59 AM MDT

Dang. I guess that's one good reason to own a home.
      July 7, 2021 2:54 PM MDT

Owning or not owning the home is not the issue, it’s whether or not there’s a homeowners’ association tied to the property. The CC&Rs of a homeowner’ association give it jurisdiction over the property itself and the conduct of the lien holder, the property owner, the resident, the renter, and in some cases, even the guests/visitors. The HOA has the legal right enforce its written CC&Rs regardless of your status. For example, when we first moved in here, we were paying the mortgage on our house for many years. When we paid off the mortgage in full and  became homeowners in the true sense that the word, there was no difference in the eyes of the HOA; we are still bound to the legal agreement we signed with them.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 7, 2021 6:23 PM MDT
      July 7, 2021 6:22 PM MDT

Yes I do cut my own lawn

It's only a small lawn, somewhat smaller since I planted two shrubs and built a frog-pond in it!

It doesn't take long to cut, using a manual mower for the bulk and long-handled shears for the fringes.

One edge, and the pond, are against a boundary wall about five feet high, so in shade from not long after mid-day. I leave that strip a bit unkempt because the vegetation and shade gives a refuge next to the pond for the amphibians, which spend much of their lives out of water. 
      September 15, 2021 4:49 PM MDT