Active Now

Shuhak
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some parents believe they OWE their children protection from the truth. Other parents believe they owe their children knowledge of it. You?

Some parents believe they OWE their children protection from the truth. Other parents believe they owe their children knowledge of it. You?

What kind of parent are you? Protect(withhold/lie) or inform?

Posted - July 10, 2021

Responses

CRT does not belong in the schools. 
      July 10, 2021 5:42 AM MDT

CRT stands for cathode-ray tube, a vacuum tube in which a hot cathode emits electrons that are accelerated as a beam through a relatively high voltage anode, further focused or deflected electrostatically or electromagnetically, and allowed to fall on a phosphorescent screen.  A more basic term would be "Monitor"; "Computer Screen" or "Television Screen"

Why shouldn't it be taught in schools?
      July 10, 2021 7:47 AM MDT

:):):)
      July 10, 2021 8:40 AM MDT

Critical Race Theory. 
      July 10, 2021 12:13 PM MDT

Sure.  Why would we want to teach them how early settlers and those who followed owned Blacks as slaves and stole Native Americans' land?

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at July 10, 2021 1:20 PM MDT
      July 10, 2021 1:18 PM MDT

That is not what they are teaching.  Everyone knows early settlers had slaves.  The King George did not allow them to make slavery illegal when we colonies.    And we bought land from Indians....they took the payment because they did not believe humans could own the land.  We also bought they largest part of the middle of our country from France. Other parts of the country, we won in war with Mexico. 

CRT is a legal theory about laws being racist.  If in college, students want to learn about the theory then fine.  But what they are teaching does not belong in grade school. It promotes racism.   

This is where the idea that Math is racist because it demands a correct answer. Or that it is racist to expect minority people to speak proper English. This is where Coke told it's employees "to be less white."   It injects race into everything.  
    It has now been expanded to claim that every aspect of life is racist.  It divides people.
      July 10, 2021 2:49 PM MDT

They haven't always taught CRT in grade school so how is it that we've had decades of racism up to now?  Your arguments don't hold water.
      July 10, 2021 3:52 PM MDT

As I said it is new teaching that everything is racist. 
      July 10, 2021 6:03 PM MDT

Your words:   "But what they are teaching does not belong in grade school. It promotes racism."

Racism has existed since this country began - long before they were teaching CRT in any school, so teaching it now doesn't create what already exists.  
      July 10, 2021 6:15 PM MDT

I did not say it created racism. It promotes it. 

Is math racist? 
    Is proper English racist? 
    Are all white people racist? 
    Should anyone be told to be less "whatever race"? This post was edited by my2cents at July 10, 2021 7:11 PM MDT
      July 10, 2021 7:09 PM MDT

I'm not a parent, but I believe that children should know the truth if it's appropriate to their age.  With the internet, there are so many topics that used to be taboo that they can find on their own, so a parent's responsibility to guide them to know what's appropriate and what isn't.  
      July 10, 2021 7:45 AM MDT

Exactly m'dear. "Appropriate to their age". I think children are OWED the truth. Of course if their parents see lies as truth and liars are truthtellers then the child is sunk. Excluding that lying to children OR "neglecting" to tell an entire truth is very cruel and abusive in my opinion. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 10, 2021 8:43 AM MDT

Holding off telling children the truth (age appropriate, of course) may be one of the reasons so many young people can't handle it when things in their lives go awry.  Kids need to learn how to figure out what's wrong and come up with a solution.  They may need help and guidance to do it, but that's how we learn to manage the adult world in which most of us will live.  As the suicide rate among young people increases, it's a clear message that kids aren't being taught how to cope in life.
      July 10, 2021 9:12 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply L. I lay it on the parenting. Whether that's fair or un I can't blame the kids so what else can I do? :)
      July 11, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

A lot of parents can't cope, so how can they teach their kids how to do it?
      July 11, 2021 1:36 PM MDT

That is true. That is what children today have as their role models. That's why GUANO has the following he has. Those who couldn't cope flocked to GUANO in droves because he told them "I alone can fix it" and they poor dumbbells believed him. Here comes a question! Thank you for your reply L and Happy Monday to you! :)
      July 12, 2021 4:10 AM MDT