Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Why is a belief in science declining in right wingers, and ascending with the left?

Why is a belief in science declining in right wingers, and ascending with the left?

Hello:

I usually know the answers to the questions I ask, but not this time.

A new Gallup poll reveals that, in 2021, just 45 percent of Republicans report having a "great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in science, compared to 72 percent of Republicans in 1975.

Democrats and independents have remained largely confident in science as an institution over the years, shifting from 67 percent to 79 percent, and 73 percent to 65 percent, respectively, between 1975 and 2021.

excon

Posted - July 19, 2021

Responses

I saw on a religious website where they were saying science is not reliable because science is always changing and the bible must be right over science because the bible never changes.
      July 19, 2021 10:32 AM MDT

Hello K:

Thanks for your cogent response. 

The people who say that have no clue what science IS.  Truly, science is different from religion, in that religion is something that people BELIEVE in fervently.  It's NOT something you KNOW, like you KNOW there's a universe out there.  And once you KNOW something, there's no turning back..  You'll KNOW it forever.

In fact, that's the exact purpose of science - to take the unknown, and through a series of tests REVEAL what the unknown truly IS.. A belief, on the other hand, can be believed or not.  The difference is, science is PROOF, and religion is BELIEF.  

Now, I have no problem with beliefs..  If you have some, believe away..  I'm sure I have some of my own, like the United States Senate, would absolutely convict Trump..  See??  I DO believe in magic.

So, my secondary question is, if you KNOW science, in the sense I'm talking about, how can you ever NOT know it?

excon This post was edited by excon at July 19, 2021 1:30 PM MDT
      July 19, 2021 10:38 AM MDT

Secondary question. In 1975 you knew science from school books and encyclopedia, or if you wanted to know more books from the library, now there is all this information (some true, some false) on the internet, people do not know what  to believe. So they start to distrust everything.
      July 19, 2021 10:52 AM MDT

Hello Maurice:

I'm coming to believe that..  I think the internet might be our undoing..

excon
      July 19, 2021 11:11 AM MDT

I figureTrump and his goonies has a lot to do with people not believing in science. And I think one of the reasons they don't want to believe in science is because they would have to start thinking that the scientist that are talking about climate change are right and the only way that the planet can be saved is with green eneragy. Cheers!
      July 19, 2021 11:39 AM MDT

Believing in Science makes one think.  I am not convinced the right has A brain to be able to think in the first place.
      July 19, 2021 12:34 PM MDT

Opening one's mind to allow a process of individual thinking to take place might create a space in one's brain for Satan to enter. No thinking please!

This post was edited by Kittigate at August 1, 2021 3:00 PM MDT
      July 19, 2021 1:06 PM MDT

Shalom. I like short answers...they require little thought.  Ignorance. This post was edited by Element 99 at August 1, 2021 3:00 PM MDT
      July 19, 2021 1:32 PM MDT

I have no facts to back this up, so it's only my own opinion, I believe that people on the right are less educated and as a result, less inquisitive, than those on the left.  Lefties are generally more liberal in their thinking and generally more open to learning new things.  When it comes to science (and also medicine), anyone who doesn't realize that it is a constantly changing discipline has no idea what science truly is.  We learn new things about our universe all the time.  The dolts still believe that we could fall off the edge of the Earth.
      July 19, 2021 2:11 PM MDT

Wait...we can't?
      July 19, 2021 3:57 PM MDT

It is not that we do not trust science.  

We have seen enough not trust the scientists. 

When they tell me that a human fetus in the Mother's womb is not life on earth... But bacteria they discover on space is life.....I do not trust those scientists. 

Then they tell me that a person's sex is not based on a person's chromosomes or genitia but on their feelings and it is fluid....I do not trust those scientists. 

When I see the commercials daily for class action suites.for different medical treatments that were FDA approved but harmed people....I tend not to trust those scientists. 

Then the makers of the covid 19 vaccines have recieved some of the largest fines in history for suppressing negitive data about their medical products.
    ..I tend not to trust those scientists. 

Then it basically comes down to follow the money...I tend to distrust those scientists.

August 1, 2021 2:01 PM MDT