Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you know of any home made concoction that works as a reliable treatment for any particular kind of ailment?

Do you know of any home made concoction that works as a reliable treatment for any particular kind of ailment?

Something that may have been passed along  to you generation to generation..

Posted - July 20, 2021

Responses

Alfalfa tea works pretty good for arthritise. Cheers!
      July 20, 2021 8:17 AM MDT

Sounds good, do you boil the flower and leaves? This post was edited by Kittigate at July 20, 2021 5:15 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 8:20 AM MDT

I bought it but I think it was just dried leaves and I boiled them. Cheers!
      July 20, 2021 8:39 AM MDT

Ok thanks.
      July 20, 2021 8:44 AM MDT

The standard remedy for everything...chicken soup.
      July 20, 2021 5:16 PM MDT

Ahhh. And wouldn't they say it is one of the bad things for you. Don't believe everything you read.

Why Chicken Noodle Soup Often Isn’t as Healthy as You May Think

Written by Cathy Cassata on December 13, 2018

Misleading labels, high amounts of sodium, and unnecessary ingredients are just a few reasons to be choosier about which soup you eat.

Share on PinterestJust how healthy is chicken noodle soup? Getty Images

Maybe your mom always gave you chicken noodle soup when you were sick or to warm you up on a cold winter’s night.

And maybe you do the same for yourself and your family, too.

For many people, chicken noodle soup covers the nutritional spectrum from comfort food to home remedy.

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 20, 2021 7:20 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 5:20 PM MDT

My mother would be spinning in her grave if she heard that.  Wait...she was cremated. And I referring to home made Kosher chicken soup. This post was edited by Element 99 at July 20, 2021 7:20 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 5:23 PM MDT

Wow. My mom was like...Campbell's Soup..A down home favorite all her life born 1921. It is only lately, with the health club arising and books like this, that the world has gotten all paranoid about what they eat.

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 20, 2021 7:20 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 5:26 PM MDT

I always disliked their chicken noodle soup. Watery and the noodles were mushy.
      July 20, 2021 5:28 PM MDT

And by God! Don't eat that chicken or beef beef bullion because it is saturated with lipids and fat and salt and sugar and HFCS.

The ingredients of bouillon cubes

All bouillon cubes contain glutamate, a flavoring that’s used to enhance the taste. Consumers seem to enjoy this ingredient, since the broths that result from bouillon cubes, taste really good. However, you shouldn’t use them to replace healthy ingredients.

Two bouillon cubes.

Monosodium glutamate can cause a condition known as the, ‘Chinese Restaurant Syndrome’. The symptoms of this condition are: headaches, pressure in the temples and a stiff neck.

It can also trick consumers into thinking that the broth contains more chicken than it actually does. Moreover, bouillon cubes stimulate your appetite, so they may promote obesity.

They also contain saturated fats, and even if it’s a small quantity, saturated fats make consuming bouillon cubes quite unhealthy.

Regarding nutrients, they don’t even come close to the amount of nutrients that homemade broths contain. They make very low-calorie broths, with around 11 kcal, per 8.5 fluid ounce serving (dehydrated cubes), and 19 kcal per serving in liquid broths.

Homemade broths provide more energy for your body: the same 8.5 fluid ounce serving contains 22 kcal. As a hydration choice they can be quite useful. They are a good option for people that need a liquid, or weight loss diet.

Bouillon cubes also have low amounts of protein. A homemade broth that boils for several hours, contains double the amount of protein, than broths made from a cube. Because of this, homemade broths provide us with 40 percent more protein, than cube broths. This makes bouillon cubes less healthy.

The major advantage of these cubes is how inexpensive they are. Making one liter of broth, using two cubes, can cost less than 10 cents.

Healthy brands of bouillon cubes

Today, there’s only one bouillon cube brand that makes chicken and beef bouillon cubes without using flavor enhancers. It’s the brand Avecrem and is sold in their 100 percent natural range.

This brand was able to produce a bouillon cube without any additives in the chicken flavor, and with just one additive in the beef flavor. In addition, they make healthier bouillon cubes because they use very little salt -around 39.3 percent, while their traditional chicken stock has a salt content of 54.3 percent.

Homemade broth recipe

As you’ve seen, bouillon cubes aren’t very healthy. Which is why we’ll give you a recipe to make homemade chicken stock, providing you with more nutrients and less additives than bouillon cubes.

Ingredients:

• 2.2 pounds of chicken bones and carcasses
    • 1 leek
    • A large onion
    • A large carrot
    • 1 sprig of thyme
    • 1 bay leaf
    • Pepper
    • Salt
    • Clove
    • 4 pints of water

Preparation:

• First peel and chop the vegetables. Wash the bones and carcasses and place it all together in a pot, along with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Once it starts to boil, remove the foam and fat that starts to form on the top.
    • Boil it on a low heat for five hours (or at least two hours, if you’re using a pressure cooker). If you’re not using a pressure cooker, add more water as and when you need to.
    • Strain the stock and once it’s cooled, remove the fat layer from the surface.
    • You now have homemade chicken stock.
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 20, 2021 7:21 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 5:32 PM MDT

Home made Ice Cream, I always feel better after I have some. 

This post was edited by Honey Dew at July 20, 2021 7:22 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 5:44 PM MDT

That's like, wicked hard man. My father tried making many bottles of rhubarb wine. The little alky I was, I pilfered one early to check it out. Went for a ride with my friends that night. When the driver asked to take a sip, he did and yelled "Chiiit!" and whipped the bottle smashed on the street pavement for somebody to run over. The other punk pointed a rifle at a car passing by and they were like wtf. You know what? My parents were just nice presences..If anything pal, I should be heartbroken. I stole my grandfather's wine carafe of four and when he told my mom she said I wouldn't do that...:(:(:(:(.. Demented devil alky. Twists stuff I. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 20, 2021 7:21 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 5:51 PM MDT

Well, that is different.
      July 20, 2021 6:15 PM MDT

All true. Common denominator was Billy "Radical" though because his father was a hometown cop and the driver Guy became a hometown cop. We were all if 17 anyways. Thrill rides drug hunting. Billy!!.Have you been putting things in the mailboxes again!!!!? A real pyromaniac with no common sense. He punched a nice neighbor in the nose after he came out and blamed him for throwing the beer bottle on the lawn which he did. Climb trees and pull off branches. He broiled his finger on a pile of gunpowder after I warned him not to light it that way. He stole my parents car and dropped 2 towns over for us to fetch. Rat bassad! Molson Golden Ale! This is about a spitting image of Billy minus the long hair. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 20, 2021 7:22 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 6:17 PM MDT

This is not really an ailment but you can  get rid of grey hair by boiling dried Stinging Nettal leaves - making a paste out of it and putting it on your hair for awile. It does not sting your hair which I find really surprising because fresh Stinging nettal really stings when you touch it. Cheers!
      July 20, 2021 5:49 PM MDT

I gotta try that.
      July 20, 2021 7:23 PM MDT

Just make sure that you sun dry the nettal real good  and boil the dry nettal real good. Cheers!

July 20, 2021 7:48 PM MDT

Having had very oily facial skin, I read about this procedure and it indeed helped cut down on my oil.

After washing and rinsing my face, I would then rinse it again from a very large bowl of warm water with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in. (Or was it one tablespoon -- can't remember.) My face would look and feel much better for the entire day.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 21, 2021 5:12 AM MDT
      July 20, 2021 7:22 PM MDT

Never was sick enough to cause me any problems.  The close thing to something like what the questioned asked is when I was younger and not feeling happy, my nanny would give me chocolate or some fairy bread.
      July 20, 2021 11:24 PM MDT