Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If Trump wins, he's got NOBODY between him and our nukes. In another thread NOBODY but me, seems bothered by that, and THAT bothers me.

If Trump wins, he's got NOBODY between him and our nukes. In another thread NOBODY but me, seems bothered by that, and THAT bothers me.

Hello:

Why AREN'T you bothered by it???

excon

Posted - October 29, 2016

Responses

Billonaires are not dumb. Have some faith. He knows more than the generals!
      October 29, 2016 8:37 AM MDT

Hello bh:

That, my friend, is EXACTLY what sends shivers up my spine.  I don't question his intelligence..  I question his maturity.

excon This post was edited by excon at October 29, 2016 8:44 AM MDT
      October 29, 2016 8:42 AM MDT

It bothers me - I live close enough to a military target - the blast won't kill me but I'll likely die a horrible death because of radiation poisoning. What really bothers me is if Trump starts a nuclear war he will be whisked away to a shelter and have a chance of surviving (and he knows that). A scary thought - Trump has used his tiny little hands to fill up test tubes so that after the nuclear war the new World will be populated by little Trumps. Cheers and happy weekend!
      October 29, 2016 10:10 AM MDT

Hey there ex.....
    Perhaps nobody seemed bothered by it because it simply is not true.
    Contrary to popular myth, there is no "red button" sitting on the presidents nightstand that he can push on a whim.
    There are plenty of safeguards and people in the chain of command that would have to agree with the presidents authorization such as the Secretary of Defense.
    If a president were to do as you suggested, dropping a nuke on someone who has attacked him personally, that would be deemed an unwarranted attack and there are various methods in place to declare the president unfit , as described in the 25th amendment, should he attempt an attack.
    The "suitcase. or nuclear football does not contain a trigger, it contains scenarios and authorization codes. Once the President has gone through identification and authorization protocols, it still isnt he, or she who pulls the trigger, that falls on whoever is manning the controls in the location where the nukes would be fired from.
    While it may be fun to fantasize about the President doing a Slim Pickens on the head of a nuke, that is about as likely as Trump "pushing the button"
    Edited to add the following...
    "
    If he gets SOOO pissed off at a beauty pageant contestant that he's tweeting his HATRED of her at 3:00 AM, I can not believe that he wouldn't fire a nuke at somebody because he got slighted..  I'm NOT kidding..  I believe he'll END the world.."

This is the statement from that other thread....

XX This post was edited by designer at October 29, 2016 10:28 AM MDT
      October 29, 2016 10:24 AM MDT

Hello des:

Are you trying to overwhelm me with useless words???  I KNOW the procedure, and I KNOW that the PRESIDENT, all by himself, can order nuclear destruction to rain down upon the world... 

Here's the reason WHY he needs no approval, and it makes sense if you think about it...  Theoretically, when the president ORDERS our missiles to be fired, there ALREADY
    are missiles in the air AIMED at us..  He only has maybe 9 minutes to shoot or not..  Clearly, there's NO TIME to consult a chain of command...

That, my friend, is NOT a word salad..  It's MEAT - RED MEAT.

excon
      October 29, 2016 10:45 AM MDT

Hey ex....
    Ok then, lets review...
    THIS question references "another thread"
    That OTHER thread makes no mention of the beauty queen firing her nukes first..assuming of course she has them at her disposal.
    The position in that other thread is that the president can simply push a button and the nukes fly wherever he chooses, warranted or not..
    So THAT is what I addressed.
    Now you want to change that entire scenario to an actual WARRANTED RESPONSE (notice "attack" is now "response")
    This invokes a different set of protocols...a different set of reasons and a whole new dynamic.
    In this NEW scenario, the President would probably not encounter the resistance he might when trying to order the nuking of a beauty queen....
    My wording is quite deliberate as I assume yours are as well. So when you say the President on a whim can nuke a beauty queen, that my friend is neither salad or red meat, it is nothing more than eye candy....

October 29, 2016 10:59 AM MDT

Hello again, des:

Couple things...  I didn't say he'd fire a nuke at HER..  I said, using her as an example, that he'd fire a nuke at SOMEBODY.. 

Secondarily, if you wanna think I was talking about the MECHANICS of the shoot, rather than the FACT that he can nuke ANYBODY he wants to ANYTIME he wants to, and there's NOBODY to stop him, you go right ahead...

Regards, my friend.

excon This post was edited by excon at October 29, 2016 11:26 AM MDT
      October 29, 2016 11:20 AM MDT

Hello again ex...
    I know you were not talking about the "mechanics" of the shoot. It is only by ignoring the "mechanics" that you can conclude the firing of nukes is a one man show, that there is indeed a "red button".
    Now since no button exists, it is the "mechanics" that takes desire to reality.

October 29, 2016 11:33 AM MDT

Hello again, des:

Ok, maybe this'll help..  All by himself, he can take the football, find the coordinates and codes for Mexico City, tell the soldier who always accompanies the president to shoot, the soldier contacts his command, the command contacts the silo, and BAM..

NOBODY will stop him.  If he KNEW where the beauty queen was, he COULD nuke her.

excon This post was edited by excon at October 29, 2016 11:47 AM MDT
      October 29, 2016 11:45 AM MDT

Hello again ex....
    "the soldier", "the command", the "silo".....That is not "ALL BY HIMSELF".....
      October 29, 2016 11:48 AM MDT

Hello again, des:

Are you being obtuse on purpose??  You're BACK to the mechanics of the shoot.  Clearly, I was talking about his ability to start WW III, ALL BY HIMSELF, with NO OVERSIGHT whatsoever...  I dunno WHY you think I'm talking about people or buttons..

excon

PS> (edited)  Ok, I re-read my question.. I said there's NOBODY between the president and the nukes..  You took me literally, and I was speaking metaphorically. 
    This post was edited by excon at October 29, 2016 12:02 PM MDT
      October 29, 2016 11:56 AM MDT

I'm confident you know much less than you think you do.  Don't worry; you have a lot of company.
      October 29, 2016 10:55 PM MDT

Naïve. 

Very.

First of all, Trump doesn't get to push the button because he said so.  But.....he does get to aggravate everyone else around to globe to aim their missiles at US.  That does bother me.
      October 29, 2016 10:57 PM MDT