Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever run out of gas on the road because you neglected to have a glance at fuel gauge before leaving for work or other purpose?

Have you ever run out of gas on the road because you neglected to have a glance at fuel gauge before leaving for work or other purpose?

Posted - July 21, 2021

Responses

Nope ... but I have had the "low fuel" warning light come on a couple times.
      July 21, 2021 6:48 AM MDT

Yes, that has happened to me before. I’ve also experienced a car that its fuel indicator needle slowly went haywire over a period of days, but before I realized what was wrong with it, I did run out of gas because it never moved all the way to E.
      How about you?
    ~
      July 21, 2021 6:57 AM MDT

lol ... I had a truck with the opposite problem, once.
    It had dual fuel tanks, and the one of them always registered as "empty" even when it was full.
      July 21, 2021 7:48 AM MDT

Happened a couple of times for me in the city a long time ago. I walked to a gas station with a 2 liter glass pop bottle and filled it without the attendant noticing but when I went to pay he did notice and told me harshly to never use a glass bottle for fuel again.
      July 21, 2021 8:29 AM MDT

No, but once I did have the low fuel light come on.  I try fill up when I get down to half a tank so that doesn't happen.
      July 21, 2021 7:51 AM MDT

No but my husband has a lifelong severe case of it.
      July 21, 2021 8:18 AM MDT

It hasn’t happened to me in years and years that I’ve run out of gas somewhere, but it had been an every now and then occurrence, so much do so that my wife would explode if I called her to ask for help. It got to the point that she eventually refused to do anything to help me, I was on my own.
      Based on this thread, she and I were just discussing those times from years ago, and I admitted to her that without her knowledge, it happened a few more times after she showed such anger about it and left me hanging. Instead of calling her, I would just take care of it any way I could.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 22, 2021 7:29 AM MDT
      July 21, 2021 4:55 PM MDT

I'm laughing. Tell sister hi.  ;)
      July 22, 2021 9:18 AM MDT

July 22, 2021 12:27 PM MDT

• No, I seem to be quite good at assessing the fuel amount before heading out. (Can't say the same for my phone battery). 
      July 21, 2021 11:26 AM MDT

No. I learned early that getting too close to empty can be costly.  Fuel is NOT clean!  When the tank is near empty, sediment , built up over time, in the tank can get sucked through the lines.  A new fuel filter and lines are fairly cheap, installation isn't (and on some cars there's more than one fuel filter).  If that gunk gets past the filter(s), it can damage other parts ... ... best not to take chances.
      July 21, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

No I have not. The little town I am in has 8 gas stations for a town that is only 3.48 square miles.  No mater where I am in town, there is one before I go on highway to go anywhere.
      July 21, 2021 2:36 PM MDT