Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Approximately how much money did you save recently by completing* a DIY project as opposed to calling “a guy”?

Approximately how much money did you save recently by completing* a DIY project as opposed to calling “a guy”?

*CAVEAT: by “completing” the project, I mean that you did finish it without having to call a guy in a truck (or van) to untangle the mess you had made of it.

A few years ago, I installed a new garbage Dispose-All in our kitchen sink when our old one died. It was easy to do just by following the step-by-step online instructions, and it’s  been running just fine ever since.

I have no projects on hold right now, nor any planned for a specific or particular start-date.
~

Posted - July 21, 2021

Responses

I saved a lot of money by not attempting to do something that did not need to be done.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it". This post was edited by Kittigate at July 21, 2021 8:26 PM MDT
      July 21, 2021 6:00 PM MDT

Why?  If I want it done right, I find if easier to just pay to have it done right the first time.  Besides, it gives me more time to focus on some else.
      July 21, 2021 6:44 PM MDT

It has been many years, but I could do almost anything. I am too eaten up with arthritis to do much anymore. Fortunately, my wife knows 'guys' who are professionals and they have saved me thousands of dollars. I also have a big, strong nephew who can do lots of stuff for us.
      July 21, 2021 8:32 PM MDT

What if the "guy" doesn't charge me anything? 

I say that counts! 

:)
      July 21, 2021 9:57 PM MDT

Hey, wait! Exactly what kind of “arrangement” do you and that guy have going (and how can I take his place)?

~

July 21, 2021 10:35 PM MDT

In my lifetime I have save thousands by doing it myself.  I didn't have the money to hire someone so I learned how to do it myself.  One of the problem solving things I am most proud of is: We were having a really dry spell where I lived and there was a water shortage. I ran a hose from my clothes washer to the back yard and filled in the big cracks in the ground.  I used the rinse water to water my plants. I still think it is a good idea if someone lives in the desert area like Los Angeles. 
      July 21, 2021 11:32 PM MDT