Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » “Support Your Local Sheriff” (1969) and “Support Your Local Gunfighter” (1971), two of the funniest movies of all time!

“Support Your Local Sheriff” (1969) and “Support Your Local Gunfighter” (1971), two of the funniest movies of all time!

When I watch these two movies, each time it’s almost as if I’m seeing them anew. I like them so much that I’m glued to the screen.

Have you ever seen these two comedy westerns starring James Garner, Harry Morgan and others?

If you’ve ever seen one or both of them, what do you think of it or them?

If the series had had more installments that followed the similar basic theme, what other titles might have emerged? (For instance, “Support Your Local Cowboy” or “Support Your Local Snake-Oil Salesman”.)

~

Posted - July 22, 2021

Responses

Not that I recall.  I'll be sure to look them up.  Thanks for the tip.
      July 22, 2021 4:59 AM MDT

You’re welcome, and I hope you enjoy them. 

~

July 22, 2021 6:27 AM MDT

I enjoy both ... but you couldn't get away with that, these days.
    I don't mean the plot.
    I mean putting out basically the same movie, within 2 years.
    Yes, modern studios recycle movies - but there is more time between them, as they have to wait for the movie to play in all theaters and then go to DVD and then go to TV.
      July 22, 2021 10:23 AM MDT

I haven't seen them. Too bad the video stores are all shut down. I would definitely like to see them.
      July 22, 2021 10:36 AM MDT

I was prodded to post this yesterday because as I was flipping channels, the first of the two movies was just about to start. I watched it from opening credits to closing credits, laughing all the way. It’s only been a few months, maybe a year since I last saw it, I enjoyed it as much yesterday as I always have. 

Maybe a channel in your area will broadcast them someday soon.
    ~

July 22, 2021 10:57 AM MDT

We have a couple of classic movie channels. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks. Did you ever see 'A Million Ways to Die in The West'?
      July 22, 2021 11:01 AM MDT

No, I’ve never even heard of it. It was released in 2014 and starred Charlize Theron and Seth MacFarlane? Do you recommend it?
    ~

July 22, 2021 12:07 PM MDT

Yes. It is very funny.
      July 22, 2021 3:40 PM MDT