Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » If you are a citizen of the country in which you were born, are you proud to be a/an _________?

If you are a citizen of the country in which you were born, are you proud to be a/an _________?

American, Australian, Brazilian, Canadian, Englishman, Scot, Irishman....?

Why? 

Posted - August 15, 2021

Responses

I used to be.
      August 15, 2021 5:51 PM MDT

I am more embarrassed than proud. I wonder what citizens of other countries that only know what they see on the news think.
      August 16, 2021 2:56 PM MDT

I'm pretty sure they mostly think we're !@*&(%#. 

I don't understand pride in something you didn't accomplish and had nothing to do with. Especially, as you say, we're not well thought of by many other countries. 

I mean, look at what we did to America's original citizens. Disgraceful. 
      August 16, 2021 6:18 PM MDT

Yes. 
      August 16, 2021 3:36 PM MDT

Why?
      August 16, 2021 6:18 PM MDT

Because we are the most free country on the planet. 

When you see other countries people protesting for their freedom, they carry the American flag with them to inspire them to achieve that same freedom in their own country.

When people in anywhere in the world need help...it is the USA who stands up. With donations from the American people and the American government.  
    It is the American military who the world calls on to lead in a crisis. This post was edited by my2cents at August 17, 2021 7:29 AM MDT
      August 16, 2021 6:59 PM MDT

I think my understanding of pride must be different. 

I can understand being thankful. I can understand the pride one would take in the accomplishment of becoming a citizen. To me, it's like being proud of being born with blue eyes or brown eyes. I don't understand being proud of something you had nothing to do with. 
      August 18, 2021 8:54 PM MDT

I'm glad to be a Canadian because we have a good quality of life, good health care system... Eh?

As a country we gotta make reparations for the damage the government allowed the churches to do to the First Nations people re: the Indian residential schools.
      August 17, 2021 2:32 AM MDT

I can dig it! 

Yes, the devastation that the European migration did to the original North American people should be mitigated somehow. I hope your country can lead mine by example!
      August 18, 2021 8:59 PM MDT

What I'm about to say may step on some toes, offend, and anger some but here it goes. I am an American but "proud" isn't a word I would use on how I feel about living here. Speaking as a Christian, I must cultivate a moderate patriotism. I'm grateful for the rights and freedoms that I have. I'm grateful for what America has done to help others in this country and around the world.

I'm grateful for what's good in our nation’s history but I'm also appropriately critical of what's bad. God intends for a nation to shape the lives of its citizens and to defend its citizen from internal and external threats. Something that's lacking right now. He holds nations accountable to the moral law, to set the conditions for its citizens to thrive and flourish.

To the extent that a nation fails to provide for the common good, therefore, I must criticize it and work for change. Likewise, to the extent that a nation provides for the common good, I will give it a limited but real patriotic affection, loyalty, and gratitude. My bottom line here is I must cultivate a real but limited allegiance to my country while reserving my ultimate allegiance for Christ.
      August 17, 2021 2:59 AM MDT

In the hope of gaining understanding, I'm curious about this portion of your reply (which I thank you for, by the way) 
    "God intends for a nation to shape the lives of its citizens and to defend its citizen from internal and external threats." 

I can see what you're saying, but presumably there are many times when both sides of conflict or battle believe they are on the side of God, defending their citizens and being accountable to moral law. 

Again, thank you for your reply. 

August 18, 2021 9:07 PM MDT

I'll try to do the best I can to explain from a Biblical standpoint.

Romans 13:1  "Every person is to be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority given except by God, and those which exist are established by God".

Though every person is to be subject to the governing authorities, it doesn't say that we always have to obey the government. Especially when this government becomes tyrannical or evil and fails to do what's best for its citizens. And if this government decides to tell the people to go against God's Word and their own beliefs they must disobey.

(Acts 5:29) Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.”

(Acts 4:19-20) Peter and John answered [the authorities] and said to them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge; 20 for we cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard.”

God expects those in authority to do what's right. He has guidelines for them to follow. If they fail to do so then they will eventually pay the price. You can see that happening right now here in America. We're paying the price for shoddy leadership. As far as what you are saying about both sides believing they are on the side of God, I simply examine what both sides are doing then compare them to what Scripture has to say about it. That is what I do. However, if a person doesn't believe in God then they will have to use their own means to determine what's right and wrong on both sides.
      August 18, 2021 10:48 PM MDT

Persons who do not believe in a God may assume that the wisdom of the Bible story writers may have been inspired by their belief in the supernatural spirits. Or something. 
    The scriptures may be a worthwhile study but exclusive of supernatural interventions.
      August 18, 2021 11:23 PM MDT

I suppose this would explain why some people who are afforded the luxury choose to move to a country whose principles and values seem to align more with what they believe are the most important themes in the Bible. 

I'm a fan of tolerance of many religions, and I most definitely am aware of numerous examples of governments doing wrong in the name of God, including and possibly especially the same Christian God you're referring to. 
    I understand and appreciate your method of analysis. 
      August 19, 2021 4:48 PM MDT

I don't know how that would offend anyone.
      August 19, 2021 8:28 AM MDT

I'm proud to be Australian, it's called "The Lucky Country" for a reason. I'm less proud of our government. The major shortcoming of Aussies is a laid-back attitude that borders on apathy. Most of us don't give a flying firetruck, and thus can't be bothered to vote out this corrupt mob of Murdererdoch's marionettes. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 19, 2021 4:38 PM MDT
      August 19, 2021 12:54 AM MDT

You're proud of your good luck to have been born there? Hmm... I'm not sure about that one either. 

hehe
      August 19, 2021 4:51 PM MDT