Active Now

Zack
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If using the most powerful military in the world doesn't get us the outcome we want, what will?

If using the most powerful military in the world doesn't get us the outcome we want, what will?

Hello:

Yeah, that.

excon

Posted - August 27, 2021

Responses

Look what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
      August 27, 2021 7:07 AM MDT

Hello E:

On the surface, it LOOKED like bombing the crap outta them WAS the outcome we wanted..  Turns out, we packed our bags too soon..  General MacArthur wanted the invasion of Germany to continue on to Moscow.  He was right.  And, there were lot's of messes in SE Asia that never got cleaned up.. We shoulda finished that too.

That mighta been a better outcome..  It certainly woulda dramatically changed the last 75 years.  In fact, it could be said that all the wars we've fought since WWII were simply continuations of that war.  And, I'm saying it.

excon This post was edited by excon at August 28, 2021 10:51 AM MDT
      August 27, 2021 7:35 AM MDT

Yes, Truman reneged on the Potsdam agreement to score political points against the Soviets.
      August 27, 2021 5:09 PM MDT

Maybe we need to change what it is we expect.  Nation building should not be out priority.  Protecting our country is our primary goal and when we have removed the threat, we need to leave - perhaps leaving a small number of troops on the periphery.  Afghanistan will never be a democracy no matter how long we stay there.  
      August 27, 2021 8:55 AM MDT

Generally, results last longer if you persuade the person/people to do something voluntarily - rather than forcing them to do it at gunpoint.
      August 27, 2021 10:30 AM MDT

How about not using the military at all? You can't force someone to do something and expect the exact result you wanted. They got to want to do it all on their own. This post was edited by Zack at August 30, 2021 6:50 AM MDT
      August 27, 2021 10:32 AM MDT

Correct and I cannot imagine people who are still thinking and living in the 17th Century are going to want a democracy.  They are too used to being told what, when and how to do it rather than thinking for themselves.  They are illiterate and unskilled - how would they manage on their own?
      August 27, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

You're on point! I'm starting to think that the entire Middle East loves a perpetual war and loves their living conditions. I'd also love to be wrong about that though.
      August 27, 2021 10:48 AM MDT

Hard not to come to that conclusion considering how few Middle East countries are living peacefully.
      August 27, 2021 6:12 PM MDT

• The outcome we "wanted" in Afghanistan was an ongoing low-level occupation that lasts forever. On that front, it was going well. That's why everyone is so pissed off about the withdrawal. 
      August 28, 2021 10:39 AM MDT