Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Maurice214
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In the Declaration of Independence there are multiple dozens of complaints against King George. Why do we focus on only one of them?

In the Declaration of Independence there are multiple dozens of complaints against King George. Why do we focus on only one of them?

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION is not the whole ball of wax by any means. It is simply ONE line item among dozens.

"For imposing taxes upon us without our consent"

Posted - August 28, 2021

Responses

I wonder what they meant?

For when all is said and done the consent is not direct but by entrusting the elected government to calculate and levy appropriate taxes in a fair manner.

In Jacobean times few if anyone in England had much of a vote, and the sovereign had considerably more power than now.
      August 29, 2021 4:42 PM MDT

Now m'dear do you see how many Americans replied to this question? Exactly NONE OF THEM. It is frustrating indeed that they simply don't care and don't know and neither of those things bothers them at all. But here you are...a Brit...responding. Among the reasons I appreciate you very much. I have no idea what they meant. Also about the right to bear arms. What "arms" existed during those time compared to what is available today? I can't believe they meant for folks to go out into the world every day CARRYING LOADED WEAPONS. Anyway sadly none of them are available to ask. I'm pretty sure all these centuries later they could not have imagined a gun-crazy America filled with gun-crazy people. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :) Hope all is well (as much as is possible these days) on your end! :)
      August 30, 2021 1:18 AM MDT