Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Why would the military leave service dogs in Afghanistan?

Why would the military leave service dogs in Afghanistan?

51 dogs left behind. 

Posted - September 1, 2021

Responses

September 1, 2021 7:38 AM MDT

They left American's dogs.  They did not allow the people being evacuated to take the their dogs. 

They left American dogs.   Disgusting. 
      September 1, 2021 7:51 AM MDT

Three, THREE military institutions and a fact-checking organization have said that no US military dogs were left in Afghanistan.  Does Trump have to tell you that for you to believe it?  Your unwillingness to do any real research into any outlet that doesn't agree with what YOU want to believe should be an embarrassment for you.  Ten years from now, you'll still be saying the 2020 election was stolen and that deworming pills for horses are an appropriate protocol for the Delta variant.  
      September 1, 2021 7:55 AM MDT

These were working dogs.  I did not say military dogs.   These were private American contractor 's dogs.  Contractors who work for the US DOD. 

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/afghanistan/2021/08/31/no-the-military-did-not-leave-its-working-dogs-behind-dod-says/

“I am devastated by reports that the American government is pulling out of Kabul and leaving behind brave U.S. military contract working dogs to be tortured and killed at the hand of our enemies,” wrote Dr. Robin R. Ganzert, president and CEO of American Humane. “These brave dogs do the same dangerous, lifesaving work as our military working dogs, and deserved a far better fate than the one to which they have been condemned.
      September 1, 2021 4:18 PM MDT

Do the dogs really care where they live?
      September 1, 2021 8:01 AM MDT

Okay, they are not "military service dogs", but ...

Considering that dogs are viewed as "unclean" by Muslims, and likely to be shot ... and previously lived in environments where they were taken care of by "their pack" (people) ... I'd bet the dogs probably care about being suddenly placed in a hostile environment, and being abandoned by "their pack".
      September 1, 2021 10:46 AM MDT

OK. I didn't know that about Muslims.
      September 1, 2021 1:31 PM MDT

Those dogs are well loved because they save lifes I can not see a handler getting on a plane without their dog. Cheers!
      September 1, 2021 9:21 AM MDT

US Gov would not allow them to be evacuated with their owners.   (These are military CONTRACT  service dogs....not US military dogs) 
      September 1, 2021 4:22 PM MDT

Consider the source: the same people who brought us the big lie about the election.
      September 1, 2021 7:51 AM MDT

Posts like that make my blood boil.  If Trump had left 51 military dogs in Kabul, she would have found more than a few reasons to support his decision.
      September 1, 2021 7:56 AM MDT

Military Times????  I never seen them cover the election fraud. This post was edited by my2cents at September 1, 2021 7:56 PM MDT
      September 1, 2021 4:19 PM MDT

Thank you for posting.  I was sick about the possibility dogs were left.
      September 1, 2021 9:31 AM MDT

A little research would have eased your mind.
      September 1, 2021 10:29 AM MDT

True. 
      September 1, 2021 10:48 AM MDT

September 1, 2021 4:23 PM MDT

I'm glad the military animals were evacuated ... but I'm still upset about personal pets being left.
      September 1, 2021 10:47 AM MDT

Yes, that is awful. 
      September 1, 2021 10:48 AM MDT

I agree, but I'm sure there are quarantine issues involved with taking those pets and it was a question of leaving a pet and taking a person ... This post was edited by SpunkySenior at September 1, 2021 2:34 PM MDT
      September 1, 2021 11:02 AM MDT

A plane from England left half empty. 
      September 1, 2021 12:41 PM MDT

Yes, there were planes that did not go out full, but that doesn't mean they were able to take animals on the flight.  
      September 1, 2021 12:47 PM MDT

Maybe.

I just remember how close I came to being homeless, rather than giving up my dog.
    I mean, I was literally incapable.  I had a nervous breakdown over it.
    Thankfully, I found a place that would accept him for a couple months until I could move into my own house.

Though I don't know what types of aircraft were used, either.
    Most passenger jets have special cargo areas for animals.  And it's not uncommon for them to be quarantined on the receiving end.
    --
    But from what I've heard from a couple people working with NGOs to get Americans and others out ... the US didn't make it easy for Americans to get out.  They didn't just accept the American passport.  You had to fill out special forms online, then print them (in a country where most individuals don't own printers), take that printout to the Embassy for a special boarding pass.

Allegedly, this NGO has lost contact with at least one American family who couldn't even get IN the Embassy with their passports - but without those special online forms.  Nor could they get in the airport, using just their passports.
      September 1, 2021 1:30 PM MDT

There is no doubt in my mind that the exit from Afghanistan was a clusterc**k.  I don't mean to minimize how people feel about their pets, but you were moving from one house to another and they are moving to a completely different country in the middle of a Taliban takeover.  How is it that so many Americans didn't have the smarts to try and leave there before the you-know-what hit the fan?
      September 1, 2021 2:14 PM MDT

Don't ask me to explain their thinking.
    I've never understood people who took tourist trips to areas/countries that were "hostile" to Americans.
    It must be the "it will never happen to ME" mindset. That's the only reason to also put their family at risk.
    Either that, or they thought the money outweighed the risk.

Personally, I generally have the "If something bad is gonna happen, it WILL happen to ME" mindset.
    That, and "always have an exit strategy".
    I mean, as much as I would LOVE to visit all the historic sites in the MidEast - even the "friendly" nations are too chaotic for me.
      September 1, 2021 2:48 PM MDT