Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do you think the Taliban people would have much trouble getting all those vehicles started that the Americans left behind without the keys?

Do you think the Taliban people would have much trouble getting all those vehicles started that the Americans left behind without the keys?

Posted - September 7, 2021

Responses

"People" is a term I would only use very loosely in connection with the Taliban.
      September 7, 2021 10:29 PM MDT

Whenever the 7th of September is a Tuesday I always feel like being nice.
      September 7, 2021 11:19 PM MDT

September 11th was a Tuesday in 2001.
      September 7, 2021 11:31 PM MDT

'Zat right..? I was feeling fine till I heard the news.
      September 7, 2021 11:56 PM MDT

I thought people remembered that.
      September 8, 2021 2:22 AM MDT

They are driving them around so no problems that I can see.  Biden probably sent them the keys or ordered them to stay with the vehicles. 

September 8, 2021 5:34 AM MDT

Along with coupons for free gas too I suppose.
      September 8, 2021 9:31 AM MDT

I am sure they were all full of gas. 
      September 8, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

I do not believe we left the equipment unusable. 
      September 8, 2021 3:54 PM MDT

Certain types of vehicles (and other machinery) can be started without ignition keys. This is especially true of many pieces of military equipment.
    ~

September 8, 2021 4:07 PM MDT

By vehicles do you mean the 22,174 Humvee vehicles, nearly 1,000 armored vehicles, 42,000 pickup trucks and SUVs, state-of-the-art military helicopters, warplanes, and other aircraft from the US? No, I'm sure they won't have any problem. By the way, while we are on the subject of things being left behind. Let's not forget the 358,530 assault rifles, 126,295 pistols, and nearly 200 artillery units. 

What you need to realize is that the only reason why the Americans left behind all of this military equipment was that Joe Biden ordered it and not because the military wanted to. Had irresponsible Joe left the military there long enough to get "all" of the Americans out first out and to remove all of the military equipment, we would,t be having this conversation. But because he did, the Taliban and any other radical Islamic terrorist groups have been emboldened and once again have become a threat to the United States and other countries as well. Good grief, even the Democrats and Liberals recognize how badly Biden mishandled this whole thing.
      September 10, 2021 9:39 AM MDT

(artillery units pieces)

I know you are not a military veteran, and as such, might not know the exact or correct terminology. I agree with much of what you have written here, thank you.

September 10, 2021 3:25 PM MDT

First, thank you for the corrections. :) You are correct, I'm not a military veteran and do not know all of the correct terminologies. I guess I was just trying to make a general point about why and at whose orders the equipment was left in Afghanistan. Because you and I both know why the liberal media conveniently omit this type of information. They do it to keep it from the general public so as to help Biden save face. Which by the way, hasn't worked as well as they had hoped. :)
      September 10, 2021 3:50 PM MDT

The fact that most of the equipment left behind is faulty is a life saver one official said.

Retired Army General Joseph Vogel said most of the high end hardware left in Afghanistan will only be like trophies for the Taliban. This post was edited by Kittigate at September 10, 2021 4:20 PM MDT
      September 10, 2021 4:19 PM MDT

Any shade-tree mechanic can take two or more pieces of equipment, pull parts from several of them, rob Peter to pay Paul, rig up a Rube Goldberg monstrosity and make a running version that while maybe not beautiful, it can be functional. When that shade-tree mechanic has two other advantages, such as dozens or hundreds of specimens from which to chose, and internet access that teaches anyone how practically anything works, it’s off to the races. And before anyone attempts to rebut me with the “they’re all illiterate over at Team Taliban”, underestimating opponents is one of the quickest and easiest ways to lose in any conflict or competition. Heck, the so-called “illiterates” took an entire country in 11 days, remember?

Many IEDs (improvised explosive devices) were made from parts of ordinance and electronics that had originally been Coalition property. 

Team Taliban is not alone in the exploitation of the boon of military equipment that they inherited. China, Russia, Iran, Iraq, the Palestinians, Cuba, Venezuela, etc., etc., etc,
    ~

September 10, 2021 7:18 PM MDT

Thanks, that sounds like a wake,-up call.
      September 10, 2021 9:30 PM MDT

(wake,-up wake-up call)

No comma.

September 10, 2021 10:13 PM MDT

You’re welcome.
      ~

September 10, 2021 10:14 PM MDT

Now I remember my dad telling some events during his time in the Canadian Air Force from WWII  where some guys constructed a radio transmitter/receiver from various parts so they could communicate with the outside world.
      September 11, 2021 12:56 AM MDT