Stu Spelling Bee
Zack - Vaxxed A/F!!!
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Are you of the same thought that people mostly wear easier to see blue masks because they can't find their coloured cloth ones?

Are you of the same thought that people mostly wear easier to see blue masks because they can't find their coloured cloth ones?

Posted - September 10

• 1057
    I think people wear the blue ones because they're made of paper and they're disposable. 
      September 10, 2021 2:22 PM MDT
    2

• 2691
    Right..right on..heh heh, but mostly because you can buy a pretty huge box of disposable ones too:) BTW,  don't you think I bait and switch topics as is crucial to our own?  So, blue masks are polluters and cloth ones are not?

That’s millions of gloves and masks being used then thrown away every single day - just in UK healthcare settings. So it’s not difficult to see why conservationists around the world are sounding the alarm over where all these single-use products are ending up.

Waterlogged masks, gloves, hand sanitizer bottles and other coronavirus waste are already being found on our seabeds and washed up on our beaches, joining the day-to-day detritus in our ocean ecosystems.

oceans plastic health masks medical pollution Coronavirus china virus health healthcare who world health organization disease deaths pandemic epidemic worries concerns Health virus contagious contagion viruses diseases disease lab laboratory doctor health dr nurse medical medicine drugs vaccines vaccinations inoculations technology testing test medicinal biotechnology biotech biology chemistry physics microscope research influenza flu cold common cold bug risk symptomes respiratory china iran italy europe asia america south america north washing hands wash hands coughs sneezes spread spreading precaution precautions health warning covid 19 cov SARS 2019ncov wuhan sarscow wuhanpneumonia  pneumonia outbreak patients unhealthy fatality mortality elderly old elder age serious death deathly deadly
    Divers on a clean-up mission around the Côte d'Azur are finding increasing amounts of COVID-19 waste
    Image: Opération Mer Propre

Along with photos and videos giving disturbing evidence of this new form of pollution, French clean-up charity Opération Mer Propre is among those calling for action. “There risks being more masks than jellyfish,” Laurent Lombard from the organization said in one Facebook post.

It’s just as much of a problem on the other side of the world. Back in February, OceansAsia flagged the growing number of masks being discovered during its plastic pollution research. Masses of masks were found on the Soko Islands, a small cluster off the coast of Hong Kong.

Masks are an increasingly common sight, even on the beaches of remote islands.
    Image: OceansAsia

Adding to the problem

Already, some 8 million tonnes of plastics enter our ocean every year, adding to the estimated 150 million tonnes already circulating in marine environments.

One study estimates that in the UK alone, if every person used a single-use face mask a day for a year, it would create an additional 66,000 tonnes of contaminated waste and 57,000 tonnes of plastic packaging.

What is the World Economic Forum doing about the coronavirus outbre

Show

World leaders and politicians are aware of the problem - and that it needs to be addressed.

“Maritime nations know far better than anyone how our ocean economies are dependent on ocean health,” said Zac Goldsmith, Minister, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs in the UK in a recent World Economic Forum webinar about ensuring a green recovery.

“But we all ultimately depend on our shared oceans and changing the role that plastic plays in every part of our economy.

“Efforts to tackle plastic pollution can help us improve ocean health, tackle climate change, support biodiversity and build sustainable livelihoods.”

COVID-19’s cost to the environment

Single-use plastic waste is not the only impact COVID-19 is having on the environment.

Despite a temporary crash in carbon emissions as lockdowns have meant fewer people travelling and less industrial activity, there are concerns the pandemic will divert governments’ attention away from green issues.

The UN’s COP26 climate change conference, set to be held in November 2020, has already been postponed.

In some US cities, recycling programmes have been paused, while parts of virus-hit Italy and Spain also put a hold on recycling.

The quarantine economy has driven more people online, resulting in greater packaging waste from deliveries. Medical waste has rocketed.

Import and export restrictions, as well as declines in the availability of cargo transportation, mean that large amounts of food have also gone to waste. And as this organic waste decays it will release greenhouse gases.

And unless economic stimuli focus on green initiatives, there is a risk of a sudden upsurge in polluting activity as construction and manufacturing are used to drive recovery from the global downturn the virus has created.

“Let this moment be a wake-up call for all of us,” Goldsmith says. “As countries emerge from the pandemic, we will all have to find ways to rebuild and to renew.

“And I think that gives us a one-off huge opportunity to choose a different path - one that ensures environmental sustainability and resilience are the lens through which we make decisions and map out our recovery.”

Share

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at September 10, 2021 3:33 PM MDT
      September 10, 2021 2:25 PM MDT
    2

• 15327
    No.  This is not something about which I concern myself.  
      September 11, 2021 6:32 AM MDT
    2

• 246
    Exactly: Don't mind the quality; feel the width!

September 12, 2021 5:26 AM MDT
    1

• 27758
    Cheap and disposable.  
      September 12, 2021 6:52 AM MDT
    1

• 15327
    I wash the blue disposable masks in the washer and then flatten and hang to dry.  I have a bunch of them washed and put up.  I just read about research on washing N95s.  They are not even affected by washing.  By washing the N95 I just use some dish detergent in the lavatory half full of cold water.  I slosh it back and forth, then drain and rinse the same way.  Hang to drip dry.  It's the sweat and spit that must be washed out.  The virus will die on its own way before I would use the mask again.  I was already doing it because of medical folks saying they were washing theirs in the early covid days.  Anyway, the study was done on both N95 and KN95; same results.  The K just means it's China's version.

September 12, 2021 6:54 PM MDT
    0

• 2030
    If you forget your cloth face coverings there are always plenty of discarded cheap blue ones lying around.

September 12, 2021 6:56 AM MDT
    1

• 2691
    I had to do it just once. I was walking to the T station late for work already and the T is mandatory face covering and I forgot mine and by divine intervention, a clean enough look blue mask was on the ground. I rubbed it between my hands all my might and wipe them on my jeans and wore it and nothing else occurred luckily. I got my Modernas! I don't know if the bronchitis.  It
    was weed vape or that though. Weed vape can give you bronchitis if you hold it in seems more like it. The aftertaste of that stuff. Ewww. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at September 12, 2021 7:22 AM MDT
      September 12, 2021 7:15 AM MDT
    0

• 44855

(easier to see blue masks easier-to-see blue masks)

September 12, 2021 7:33 AM MDT
    0
  • RJ

372
    The blue masks are disposable.  
      September 12, 2021 8:09 AM MDT
    0

• 44855

Not all blue masks are disposable, and not all disposable masks are blue. Jes’ sayin’.
    ~

September 12, 2021 11:09 AM MDT
    0

• 91
    I wear a pink one.
      September 12, 2021 1:06 PM MDT
    0