Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should a General who tells another country that he would warn them before an attack ordered by the US POTUS be punished?

Should a General who tells another country that he would warn them before an attack ordered by the US POTUS be punished?

Posted - September 15, 2021

Responses

Yes, if found guilty of such an abhorrent act. 
      September 15, 2021 11:20 AM MDT

The US top general was certain Trump had a mental decline after the 2020 election. General Milley thought Trump "all but manic" 
    Milley was so concerned Trump might start a war with China that he called his China counterpart twice to assure him that the US would not strike.

Per the Bob Woodward book 'Peril'

I am inclined to think Milley should not be punished in this circumstances.

This post was edited by Kittigate at September 16, 2021 8:14 AM MDT
      September 15, 2021 12:37 PM MDT

You mean he willingly and knowingly violated the Logan act, violated the chain of command and committed treason.   He admits it.

I agree with Sen Paul.  Milley should be court marshalled. 

This post was edited by my2cents at September 15, 2021 6:08 PM MDT
      September 15, 2021 5:29 PM MDT

"I have great confidence in Milley" -Joe Biden.

Colonal Butler, a spokesman for Milley,, said Milley's calls with Chinese officials and others were in line with his responsibility to "maintain strategic stability".
    "All calls from the chairman to his counterparts including those reported are staffed, coordinated and communicated  with the Department of Defense and the Interagency" Butler said in a statement. "General Milley continues to act and advise within his authority in the lawful tradition of civilian control of the military and his oath to the Constitution".

The Pentagon strongly backed Milley as well.
      September 15, 2021 6:44 PM MDT

Of course, anyone who does not like Trump is a friend of theirs.  

As Joint Chief of Staff he has NO operational command....ZERO. His job is to give advise to the President.   
    Again if he did this and they are not denying it.  It is violation of Logan Act, chain of command and treasonous.  
      September 15, 2021 7:01 PM MDT

I suppose senator Paul created that image of Milley riding his horse through the streets of Beijing warning the Chinese as his evidence to support a charge of treason. This post was edited by Kittigate at September 16, 2021 8:15 AM MDT
      September 15, 2021 7:09 PM MDT

I doubt Rand Paul made the meme. 
      September 15, 2021 7:45 PM MDT

Who do you think will bring up the charge of treason against Milley?
      September 15, 2021 7:23 PM MDT

Given who is in charge currently, I doubt anyone does anything. Justice is not equal in this country sadly. 
      September 15, 2021 7:47 PM MDT

If I recall Trump ordered 2 air strikes without going through Congress like he was supposed to so I think Miller did the right thing. Cheers!
      September 15, 2021 6:05 PM MDT

Trump is the only President in recent area not to start a war. Milley did not believe Trump was going yo nuke China.  
    This is one reason establishment hates him so much. 
      September 15, 2021 6:53 PM MDT

What war has President Biden started?
      September 16, 2021 8:17 AM MDT

Far enough...give him time he will.  He lost Afghanistan...we left in shame. He lost everything we gained.  But he did accomplish his campaign promise: Build Back Better to bad it was the Taliban he did it for....

Disgusting. 
      September 16, 2021 12:30 PM MDT

Apart from arming BOTH sides in the Saudi-Yemeni conflict, and believing KJU's bs promise to de-nuclearize NK, and adding fuel to Iran's fire (Iran's had more than enough reason to declare war but refrained) ...

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/19/donald-trump-started-no-new-wars--but-he-is-one-of-historys-biggest-war-presidents/ This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 19, 2021 5:22 AM MDT
      September 19, 2021 5:15 AM MDT

How quickly (and conveniently) we forget!
      September 16, 2021 7:44 AM MDT

As if every President asks Congress before they do an airstrike.

Obama used drones on US citizens.

Did Biden check with Congress before he launched airstrikes against Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan?

Biden just ordered an airstrike on an Afghan translator who worked for the USA.  Killed him and 7 of his children aged 2 and up....  2 YEARS OLD!!!!

September 16, 2021 4:45 PM MDT

Milley did what he did to protect America and the World  from someone that was showing signs of being mentally  unstable. But for a photo op Trump posted photos of him and a special ops team that were on a secret mission which put the team and their familly in danger. Trump blurted out the location of a US nuke sub. Trump sent a Navy fleet in the wrong direction. Trump had a secret meeting with Putin at the WH and Trump sent Cds and love letters to the leader of North Korea. So Milley did the right thing. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at September 16, 2021 11:37 AM MDT
      September 16, 2021 8:31 AM MDT

No President has secret meetings in the WH....it is not even possible.  Exchanging letters is alot better than exchanging airstrikes. 

Milley lost Afghanistan. Left our citizens and allies to fend for themselves against the Taliban after rearming them with our weapons. He needs to go. 
      September 16, 2021 5:03 PM MDT

ArtIII.S3.C1.1.2 Treason Clause: Doctrine and Practice

Article III, Section 3, Clause 1:

Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Constitution is specific, however, that the Treason clause can only be applied for acts committed during times of war. While certain acts committed during peacetime may be illegal and unpatriotic, they would not be considered treason, according to the Constitution’s definition.

If we were in times of war, what General Milley said and did would be considered treason. However, because we aren't in times of war, should General Milley still be punished? Considering the severity of his actions that went against his oath to uphold the Constitution, I would say yes. What form should this punishment take? His resignation would be first on the list. Beyond that, I can't say. Will he be punished? It's hard to say but considering the present administration's track record, I say probably not. As always, this is my opinion.
      September 16, 2021 2:21 PM MDT

• Nah. We're not at war with China, so it isn't treason. And he swore an oath to the Constitution, not to the president. He does seem to have been paranoid, but that's about it. 
      September 17, 2021 6:31 PM MDT

Still violated the Logan Act and chain of command.  
      September 18, 2021 4:24 AM MDT