Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » AnswerMug Challenge Series: Streamline the English language symmetrically by going from 26 letters to 25.

AnswerMug Challenge Series: Streamline the English language symmetrically by going from 26 letters to 25.

It’s been decided that the English language has to streamlined symmetrically by going to only 25 letters. 

Imagine that you’re in charge of deciding which letter it should be. Keep in mind that all words containing that letter will have to be changed, and in some cases, that might even mean multiple instances the letter shows in a word. Your finished product will most likely carry the same pronunciation as before, and the new spellings might require other letters in some words to be moved around a bit, some other letters might have to be dropped from certain words, and some words may need letters added to them to make up for the newly omitted letter(s).

How do you go about making your selection? Which letter would you choose? Why that letter? Hints: don’t attempt to use logic to come up with an answer, and this is neither a serious question nor a big deal. 

Examples of words written differently yet maintaining their pronunciation: night/nite, cool/kool, blew/bloo, heckle/hekall, tear, ter
~

Posted - September 15, 2021

Responses

Yes, Q and U … come in, have a seat.  As you know, it’s our policy here at English Language is diversification.  We want out letters to work with all the out letters.  It’s come to our attention that you have almost become inseparable.  According to our records, Q, you have never associated closely with letters like I and O.  It’s always QU this and QU that.  Now, we’ve talked about this before on numerous occasions.  As you know, English Language is experiencing some major budget shortfalls.  Because of this and the fact that you two keep violating company policy, we’re going to have to let both of you go.  Clean out your desks and pick up your last paycheck at personal.

Ah, yes, K, V… come in, have a seat.  With the departure of Q and U, were going to need to substitute other letters in their words.  K… currently, you don’t have that many words, so we’ve decided to let you fill in for Q.  We’ll give you a raise in pay as well and more work hours.  V, you’ll be filling in for U.  Since many times U didn’t have a speaking part… he was silent… it shouldn’t be too big of deal.  As for his speaking parts... well, just do your best.  You will also get a raise in pay and more work hours. 

For examples, QUit will become KVit, QUilt will become KVilt.  Union will become Vnion, Unit will become Vnit.  Any KVestions?  Yes, K, … … … hmmm…. yovr right, it does sovnd a bit like German.  Well, hopefvlly no one will notice.

September 15, 2021 11:31 PM MDT

W

Double-U

Uuhy do we need W?
    It only came into being because Roman U looked like V ... so UU looked like VV (W).

Sincerely ... Uualter.
      September 16, 2021 9:26 AM MDT

Dear Sir: 

Thank yov for yovr svggestion.  We here at English Langvage Inc. are always open to hearing svggestions.  
    In regards of ovr employee "W" - W is, in fact, conjoined V twins.  They wanted to separate them at birth, however, owing to how they were joined, there was a 90% chance that one twin might die and the other might emerge looking like an L.  So their parents decided to leave them joined.  Since W joining the English Langvage team by means of the company's Disability Employment Accelerator Program, they have proven to be kvite a profitable asset.  Besides, it might be seen as discrimination if we were to let them go, and that wovld be bad for company PR.

Sincerely, 

Jose Hernández 

CEO, English Langvage Inc.  
      September 16, 2021 2:47 PM MDT

(Jose José)

Why do I have to get to the very end of yet another one of yovr GREAT posts and have my finger poised over the “Asker’s Pick” bvtton, only to find the lone typographical error? Grrrrrrr.

:(

September 17, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

I have no idea how to make that accent mark. 
      September 17, 2021 1:09 PM MDT

Dude, are yov svre? It’s in yovr post, in the word directly following the one I cited!

Sincerely, 

Jose Hernández

~

September 17, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

K is gone. We can use C for it.
      September 16, 2021 5:05 AM MDT

If anything, you're missing a few!
      September 16, 2021 12:30 PM MDT

What do you mean?
      ~

September 16, 2021 2:39 PM MDT

Just kidding - Serbo-Croatian has thirty letters (be it in Latin or Cyrillic script). Some argue that it's more efficient, as it means using a single letter where other languages combine several (e.g. for the "ch" sound in "chair;" but then we don't have such vowels as in that "ai"). 

To answer your original question, perhaps we could do away with "i." What do you thynk? Are you styll syttyng yn your chayr?
      September 17, 2021 5:44 AM MDT

Y have fallen out of my chayr, and Y can’t get up.
    ~

September 17, 2021 6:23 AM MDT

Unless Google spell check did that, I honestly have no idea how it got there.

(and as they say, ignorance is 9/10 of the law)
      September 17, 2021 5:08 PM MDT

I agree with My2Sents. (Someone write that down somewhere!) S suffises for the 's' sound, and K already does the hard 'c' sound. 

It took me less than 30 sekonds to kome to that konklusion. I'm quikly realizing what a personal nightmare this would be to unlearn to spell! 

You're sertifiable to even suggest sukh a thing! And see, I wasn't even thinking about C's partnership with 'H'. 

NIGHTMARE, I'm telling you! 

September 17, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

Wate ,U reelee thinc eyem,m sertifyobbel? U due luv mee ,U reeleee dew !

~

September 17, 2021 9:37 PM MDT

Stop!! That hurts my brain! 
      September 17, 2021 9:38 PM MDT

wutt ¿ wutt dyde eye dewe ¿
    ~

September 17, 2021 9:41 PM MDT

X could probably be the most easily replaced.  If it’s in the middle of the word it could be replaced with cs, cks or ks.  If it’s at the beginning of a word it could just be replaced with Z.

Somebody’s probably thinking about secks right now from reading this, lol. This post was edited by Livvie at September 18, 2021 11:53 AM MDT
      September 17, 2021 11:51 PM MDT

“Somebody’s probably thinking about secks right now from reading this, lol.”

Well, it’s certainly not ME; I never think about sex!

~

September 18, 2021 8:16 PM MDT

The kuick brown focks jumps over the lazy dog. There, that gets rid of both of the redundant letters. Now we put that wonderful letter thorn, þ, back in, to represent the theta sound which bears zero relationship with either t nor h.
      September 19, 2021 5:32 AM MDT