Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Should schools be offering virtual healthcare visits from school without the parent?

Should schools be offering virtual healthcare visits from school without the parent?

Just seen a commercial for this in my area.  My daughter is talking to the school today.  Explaining that is it not the school's place. If her children need a healthcare visit virtual or in person...SHE will handle it. 

Are the schools over-stepping? Would you allow your child to have this type of visit from school?

Interestingly, Pfizer just claimed their shots safe for 5-11 yr-olds.

Posted - September 20, 2021

Responses

That depends on what they are talking about.

When I was in high school, the 3 schools (elementary, middle/jr high, and high school) allegedly had a nurse on duty during school hours.
    In reality, there was 1 nurse shared by the 3 schools - but she didn't have a pager, and it was before cell phones were common.
    So when a classmate slammed down on my foot in PE, and tore the nail to the point my shoe filled with blood ... I had to limp over to the other schools trying to find the nurse.

If the virtual visit is taking place of an in-school nurse ... I would generally favor it.
    Any emergency requiring actual medical work should be done "live", of course.
    If a child needs healthcare due to abuse or malnutrition - the school is in their right/duty to protect the child.

Generally, though, it is not in a school's responsibilities to provide healthcare.
      September 20, 2021 10:28 AM MDT

Not the school nurse.  This is direct visit with a Dr or LPN at the local hospital. 

It is being promoted as a way for the parent not to have to take off work for the appointment.  
      September 20, 2021 1:35 PM MDT

Hmmm.
    Now you got me wondering ... what, if anything, prevents any child from using any virtual healthcare without their parent knowing?
    Are the doctors required to visually see an adult, before talking with a minor?
    How would they know the adult is actually the child's parent/guardian?
    Just another thing for me to wonder about virtual healthcare.

---

I guess it's cheaper than requiring employers to pay that time ... and school districts don't have the authority to legislate that kind of "solution".
      September 20, 2021 2:04 PM MDT

I don't know but just navigating the process of setting up a virtual would eliminate most elementary kids  (which was the age used in the commercial) without help from an adult or older minor.  Need your insurance policy and/or credit/debit card to pay.  

I do not know the rules on it.  But it should certainly be addressed. 
      September 20, 2021 2:12 PM MDT

It is possible that the student might want to speak with someone about an issue they don't feel they can discuss with a parent.  In that case, the school should offer them such an opportunity.
      September 20, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

If they need to talk that is the school counselor's job.  But it is not their job to help a student go around the parents.   
      September 20, 2021 1:38 PM MDT

You have to understand that not every school is the same as the one(s) where you live.  There's a whole world out there that may be different from what you know or are accustomed to.  Not every school has a counselor and if the child has a medical issue - let's say they are being molested by a family member - they may need medical counseling.  Don't mistake the way you grew up or are living with the way everyone else i the country was brought up or lives.  That is a very narrow view.
      September 20, 2021 2:05 PM MDT

I live in rural counties.....even our small little schools had a school counselor.  And if they do not offer a school counselor, I think it is safe to say they are not offering virtual Dr visits either.

Abuse needs reported and stopped and the pervert put in prison for the rest of their lives or worse. The the parent/guardian can see to their child getting the mental/physical help they need.  Still not the schools job to go around the parent unless it is to get the parent arrested by going to the police.  
    What if the teacher is the abuser and sets up the virtual visit with PP and gets an abortion for their victim? 

This commercial was not about abuse.  This was physical medical issue virtual visit without the parent. So the parent did have to take off work. 
      September 20, 2021 3:13 PM MDT

There's a whole big non-rural world out there.  You should do a little research to find out how others live.  
      September 20, 2021 3:36 PM MDT

Surely you are not claiming the big city cannot afford a school counselor????

Again if they do not bother with a counselor they are not going to bother with  virtual doctor visits.
      September 20, 2021 4:23 PM MDT

Some big cities can't afford a counselor in every school.  Did you ever stop to think that if the school is offering telehealth visits that students can initiate on their own there must be a reason for it?  Do you think every parent is as responsible as you may have been?  Do you think every parent can afford health care the way you could?  Just because your kids didn't need it doesn't mean others didn't - especially with the economy the way it is due to the virus.  Did you ever stop to think that maybe if someone lost their job, they also lost their health insurance?  No, or course you didn't because YOU weren't in that position.  You need to open your eyes and do some research and maybe, just maybe, you will understand why everyone is not n the same situation as you are.  Broaden your horizons - your little corner of the world isn't the entire world.
      September 20, 2021 9:37 PM MDT

The school is overstepping.  I do not believe the school is paying for the visits.  And should not be taking education funding and using it for healthcare.  State funds are legally supposed to be spent on their allocated purpose.   In my state almost any child can receive Medicaid.  Just a matter of filing the paperwork.   For some there maybe a small monthly premium. But most is it is free.  (Not easy at all for an adult to receive)

If a parent choses to use this service than fine.  But it should not be used as a go around the parents/guardians. That is the school overstepping their role. 
      September 21, 2021 8:45 AM MDT

Parents have been turning over responsibility for raising their kids to schools for years now.  They expect schools to feed their kids, babysit their kids, and teach their kids things that should be taught at home (eg. sex).  So why should they balk at this?

September 20, 2021 11:09 AM MDT

I would balk and as I said my daughter is going to the school this week to let them know it is not their job. This post was edited by my2cents at September 20, 2021 3:17 PM MDT
      September 20, 2021 1:39 PM MDT

I agree, it shouldn't be their job.  But when parents expect schools to raise their kids for them, what do they expect?  (raise my kids fo me, but do it MY way!)
      September 20, 2021 2:27 PM MDT

It is not their job.   And if they want to try to inject themselves...yes they should do it the parent's way.
      September 20, 2021 3:16 PM MDT

The schools have been overstepping for years. And sadly, far too many parents are allowing it to happen. It's the school's responsibility to shape a vision of academic success for all students and to create a climate hospitable to education. However, it is not the duty of the school to do anything without the parent's knowledge or consent. Parents need to know what's going on with their children at all times. And it's up to both the schools and the parents to make sure this happens. Your daughter is doing the right thing.
      September 20, 2021 12:28 PM MDT

Exactly.  I could not believe it when I first seen the commercial.  
      September 20, 2021 1:41 PM MDT

No and no.
      September 20, 2021 8:49 PM MDT

Without the parent is okay, but absolutely not without parental consent.

My kids had frequent dental checkups arranged by the school. If any actual work was required, they called either me or my better half.
      September 22, 2021 12:52 AM MDT

Agree parental consent is a must. This should never be used as a go around the parent/guardian. 
      September 22, 2021 4:52 AM MDT