Active Now

Thebigd
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Is Climate a more overriding issue than a genocide?

Is Climate a more overriding issue than a genocide?

We've always felt connected to China, but with their military aggression in the South China Sea, with their continuation of genocide with the Uyghurs in Xinjiang province there, with their violation of the cultural, linguistic, religious priority of Tibet, with their suppression of democracy in Hong Kong and other parts of China, as well – they're just getting worse in terms of suppression, and freedom of speech. So, human rights, security, economically.

Having said all of that ... we have to work together on climate. Climate is an overriding issue and China is the leading emitter in the world, the U.S. too and developed world too, but we must work together.

Posted - September 21, 2021

Responses

If we're going by numbers ... yes.

Climate change effects every single person, plant, and animal on the Earth.

A genocide may kill every person in a specific group(s) and put an end to their culture/knowledge ... but it doesn't have the global consequences climate change does.

Of course, most countries can work on multiple issues at the same time.
      September 21, 2021 1:13 PM MDT

To me a genocide is a more pressing issue.  Yes we can address more than one thing at a time.  But to say climate is more overriding just too much for me.  But at least it is not being denied. 
      September 21, 2021 5:54 PM MDT

Personally, from a strictly moral standpoint, genocide is an overriding issue. Historical records show that multiple millions have died, due to genocide, down through the centuries. The Chinese dictator, Mao, had 80 million of his own people murdered during his reign. Genocide is still going on today as you mentioned. Now, from a global standpoint, climate change would be considered an overriding issue.

That being said, for me, the term climate change is meaningless. The Earth's climate has been changing since the Earth was formed. Now if by climate change you mean "global-warming" then that's something scientists have been disagreeing about for years. You do make a good point though, about China being the leading emitter of pollution. Basically, it's because they (the Communist government) don't care. They also don't care about their own people nor do they care about anyone else. They want it all. As always, this is just my opinion. :)
      September 21, 2021 3:05 PM MDT

I am with you 100% on both. 
      September 21, 2021 5:54 PM MDT

Something can be done to alter the future course of climate change, but nothing can be done to bring back the victims of genocide.
      September 21, 2021 7:38 PM MDT

True but they are still committing the genocide. 
      September 22, 2021 4:39 AM MDT

Yes, because it's something we can actually do something about.
      September 22, 2021 12:41 AM MDT

We cannot do anything about China's genocide? Why? 
      September 22, 2021 4:40 AM MDT

What do you suggest we do about China's genocide?  
      September 22, 2021 6:32 AM MDT

For starters we can formally declare that what they are doing is genocide.  They impose the international laws against such evil actions. Trade penalties, embargos etc. 
    Impose harsh penalties to any companies using or benefiting from the slave labor via taxes and imports fees etc. And public boycotts. 
      September 22, 2021 5:12 PM MDT

You do realize how much of the goods we use are made in China.  We do not manufacture enough goods in this country any longer.  Do you think people are willing to give up using everything they  have that was made in China?
      September 22, 2021 9:33 PM MDT

So because we like certain goods, we should look the other way when China systematically murdering an entire group of people.  

We should be making more products in the US anyway. 
      September 23, 2021 5:50 AM MDT

It's not just the crappy little items that we import.  It's things that are necessary like parts for our technology products, for cars, washing machines, etc.  Yes, we should never have allowed so many US companies to move their manufacturing to China.  Did you get this upset when Trump abandoned Syria and didn't evacuate one of our Kurdish allies and handed our military bases over to Russia?  
      September 23, 2021 8:16 AM MDT

How could it have been stopped?
      September 23, 2021 8:18 AM MDT

Not sure which situation you mean - the geocide, the Kurds or companies moving to China.
      September 23, 2021 9:10 AM MDT

Companies outsourcing to China. That happened due to conditions in the labor markets, and market forces are difficult to manipulate.
      September 23, 2021 10:29 AM MDT

They moved to China because labor was cheaper.  Manufacturers paid them peanuts, but the savings didn't benefit consumers.  
      September 23, 2021 12:10 PM MDT

Exactly my point. It happened because of labor market conditions. We learned (or should have learned) in Economics 101 that market players ALWAYS seek to maximize profits. It's an incontrovertible fact. So again I ask, how could that have been stopped?
      September 23, 2021 1:13 PM MDT

Probably by giving green cards to more people who wanted to come to America.  At this point, we should be looking to bring back most of our manufacturing - there certainly isn't a labor shortage now for anyone willing to work hard.
      September 23, 2021 2:03 PM MDT

As long as cheaper labor is available elsewhere, none of that would matter. It's astonishingly and, perhaps, unfortunately simple.
      September 23, 2021 2:09 PM MDT

Yes I did complain when Trump left the Kurds.  But the Kurds were not and are not being slaughtered in a genocide.  Not even close to what is being done in China. 

Trump is the only President who has stood up to China. All others have shown they fear loosing a trade war.   I know it is several products that we like.  But that does not mean we should ignore a situation that is a modern day Holocaust.
      September 23, 2021 2:07 PM MDT

There are human rights violations going on all over the world.  We can't get involved in every one of them.  
      September 23, 2021 2:16 PM MDT

This is not the same thing...

They have at least 1 million and possibly up to 2 million in concentration camps.  Where they are tortured, raped, forced abortion, forced sterilization, slave labor etc.  
      September 23, 2021 2:35 PM MDT

Well, invite them over to your house.  
      September 23, 2021 4:53 PM MDT